Carbine Question

Guest benchpresspower

Guest benchpresspower

Was looking around online at different carbines and started looking at Hi-Point's line of carbines. Does anyone on here have any experience with them aside from the handguns? The price is attractive but leaves me to wonder are they a decent firearm or is it a get what you pay for kind of thing?

4595ts_Large.gif

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Aces&8s

I have the Hi-Point 995 9mm carbine, with the old style camo stock. It is a great gun, very accurate, built like a tank, dependable, and will shoot anything I load it with. I think the only problem I have ever had with mine was shooting Wolf steel case, and even then it was just a few FTEs out of two boxes of ammo. Shooting +P rounds out of that carbine barrel really sizzles, too! Really, you might hear a lot of bad stuff about the pistols HP produces, but I have known very few people who owned a carbine that were disappointed with them. I went by Tri-Cities Gun Depot the other day, and saw that Hi-Point has finally come out with the .45 ACP version, too (the one pictured above, as a matter of fact)... has me thinking I might need to upgrade in the near future.

Do a search...

There are any number of us on TGO that have HP carbines and really like them. Most of us have the 9mm version, either original ugly stock or newer combat ugly stock.

The only real downside of them is the small capacity flimsy magazines, and there are no real alternatives that work.

Matter of fact, I daresay that 95% of all HP problems, pistol and carbine, are mag related.

The .45 version has been anticipated for at least 5 years, can't believe it finally made it.

- OS

Guest mosinon

The hi point 9mm is nice. I had as much fun shooting that as any rifle, even the 10/22 ruger. I tried to talk OhShoot out of his with no luck. I like the old ones better but I don't see how you can go wrong with that rifle. The biggest complaint about hi point is the size and the looks. With a carbine size isn't a big deal. Best value since the 10/22 I'd opine.

A good friend of mine bought one of the Hi Point carbines in 9mm Lugar earlier this year, he loves it and shoot’s it very well. After looking at it and firing it myself I was impressed with it, reliable as heck, shoot’s to point of aim, butt ugly but still cool as all get out. I’m not in the market for one but if I ran across a used one at a really good price I’d buy it.

Hi Point pistol’s turn up on the street’s a lot where I work and the people who have them don’t even attempt to take proper care of the 9mm and 380ACP’s we turn up. Rust, crud, lack of lubrication, scared up from being dropped and kicked around, but they still function properly. They might look like crap, and maybe at some time in the past they were crap, but to me they’re deadly effective.

my ts995 functions fine. The bolt can be finicky and sometimes is difficult to release after a last round locks it back. The old style carbine did not have this feature. But it has gotten better over time.

Shoots minute of paper plate at fifty yards and has about the same results at 125 yards. Everyone I have ever seen firsthand has similar accuracy.

And OS is spot on about the magazines and failures. I am guessing that most failures are mag related. They are finicky and probably all require some tweaking to function right. No big deal really though.

Guest Armgdnman

I dont feel that good about hi-points. I buy a gun that I can count on to work when my life is on the line. If this is simply a target gun I still dont think i would get one. If you are hell bent on a pistol caliber carbine, get a Beretta CX4. You won't be disappointed. Once again, I am not saying that other people's hi-points are crap and I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

Opinion's are like belly button's, we all have one, I've never been a fan of Hi Point pistol's or carbine's but had to change my opinion of how well they work. I'm a gun snob from way back and still don't think I could bring myself to own a Hi Point pistol, much less carry one...the carbine though, it's a different story. I am probably most partial to the Kel Tec Sub 2000 for a pistol caliber carbine.

I went the Hi Point and Kel Tec route. They work. I think you will find yourself happier with either/or or all: AK47, SKS Paratrooper or CZ Vz 58. 7.62x39 ammo is cheap and effective. I have had or have the following semi autos:

1) Hi Point 995

2) Kel Tec Sub 2000 (glock)

3) Mak 90 (AK 47)

4) SKS Paratrooper

5) Russian SKS

6) CZ Vz 58

I always come back to the SKS Paratrooper over all the others

• 2 weeks later...

I did quite a bit of research when I was looking for a pistol caliber carbine and in the end I came up with the following basic info:

1) The Hi Point carbines are surprisingly good for the money, but have the major down side related to the single stack mags.

2) The Kel Tec Sub 2000 carbines are also very good for the money and they make it in different configurations that allow you to use major manufacturer mags (like Glock, Beretta, and Smith & Wesson). The Sub2K also folds in half for easy carry and storage. It also has some neat aftermarket add-ons. It comes in 9mm or .40SW.

3) The general consensus is that the Beretta CX4 Storm carbine is the top of the line in pistol caliber carbines, but one of these will run you 3 times what a Hi Point or a Kel Tec will run you.

4) The old standards such as the Marlin Camp Carbine or the Ruger Carbine are hard to find and come at a premium if you do find them.

So in the end, I opted for the Kel Tec Sub 2000 in .40 with the Glock magazines. I love that little rifle and in comparison to the Hi Point, the size is much more what I want in a little pistol caliber carbine.

I've had the 9mm version for a couple of years now. It's the older version, which I tricked out with the ATI aftermarket stock. The only problem with that stock is you have to either remove or modify the plastic covers on the 15 rd aftermarket magazines to get them to lock up. That being said I have never had any problems with mine. It always goes bang when it should, is accurate enough for 30 yard head shots every time, and is just plain fun to shoot. My advice: Buy one! You won't be disappointed.