Good affordable .308 for hunting

SKINDOG

I'm looking into buying a .308 bolt action rifle soon and I have a few in mind. I've been trying to decide between a Stevens 200, a Marlin XS7S, or a Savage Edge. I'm gonna be using it for hunting and occasional target practice and I would like to have a synthetic stock and a stainless steel or matte finish barrel. I know the stevens is easy to upgrade and its almost the same as the savage edge. I havent been able to find a marlin xl7 or xs7 though, so I have nothing to compare... I'm looking for something $400 or less preferably. I'm definitely open to advice on buying a gun not listed on here too. I would appreciate any advice I can get.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GunTroll

Howa 1500

Howa

Edge seems too plastic-y for me.

Stevens is fine

Marlin is fine as well

Howa is a great action. Weatherby uses them for the Vanguard series guns. Made in Japan they are but so far I am impressed. I got one!

Howa is a great action, good overall rifle, quality workmanship, everyone I know who has one is pleased with their's. FWIW I'd just go with a Ruger M77 ,Remington 700 or Savage 110 blued steel barreled action in a synthetic stock, I've alway's used a good paste wax finish over the exterior of the metal each year with no surface rust occuring. Regular cleaning and wipedown's and your good to go.

I bought a Savage Edge about a month ago. I ended up selling it to help fund another .308 project and never shot it. From what I could tell it was a decent rifle, and a great buy for the money. I've had some other high end Savage rifles and a lot of the good qualities of those rifles, which shot through the same hole consitently, seemed to be present in the Edge. It doesn't have the acutrigger or acustock, but for $300 I wasn't going to complain a bit. The stock is pillar bedded and the trigger is very acceptable for a hunting rifle.

I wish I had shot it so I could give you some more detailed info, however I did read and watch the review from Gunblast and he tested the .243 version. He said it shot sub MOA with factory ammo, and 1/2" with handloads. I don't know what other rifle in this price range can do this.

I don't think you'll be dissapointed in anything that Savage makes...I've been pleased.

Good luck!

I'm curious as to why you are limiting yourself to the 308? Don't get me wrong, I have had many 308's,have two now and I have reloaded that round since 1983. But from 0 to 200 there is really not much "real world" performance difference in most of the major factory loaded hunting rounds. I would not turn down a deal in 06, 260, 270, 280, 7mm-08, 7 mag, etc. If you want to shoot mil surplus I would still consider the 06 over the 308 because you van still find it surplus plus you have a much broader range of factory loaded bullet weights to choose from and if you walk into any store in the country that sells ammo they are likely to have 30-06 or 270 on the shelf.

As to using paste wax on rifles as a preservative I have never tried it but I have used Rig Gun Grease for 30+ years and never had a speck of rust. Learned that from an old guy that had been using it 50 years and he was right.

Howa's are good actions and are used on the Weatherby Vanguards. I believe they were the basis of the old S&W rifles as well as several others. The only thing I have against them is the triggers are non adjustable and usually pretty stiff. Love the Savage Accu-trigger on my 12BVSS and I have heard a lot of good things about the Marlin trigger. I love the Remington 700's. I have rarely found one I couldn't get to shoot. Not so fond of the MKII Rugers, or Winchesters. But of the entry level rifles it is hard to beat a Savage.

Well I'm not trying to limit myself right now, but I was gonna ask for a hunting rifle for christmas. Since its my first real rifle I decided on the .308 because of the flat trajectory and low recoil. Don't get me wrong I can handle a big recoil and not complain, but for consistency and accuracy purposes right now I think a .308 would be better. I eventually want to get a 7mm rem mag, a .300 win mag, .270, and a .30-06. For right now I'm trying to stay under the $400 price range. I saw a Remington 700 that I love and I really wish I could afford, but it was $499 without a scope. I think its gonna come down between the stevens 200 and the marlin xs7s. I'll eventually trade or sell whatever I get for a remington 700, but I just need somethin to get my foot in the door right now. I havent been able to find anything in the marlin x7 series to pick up and take a look at... I was able to check out the savage edge and stevens 200 and I definitely liked the feel of the stevens 200 better. I havent seen any of the Howa 1500s in town and I would probably rather stick with something I can find parts for easily.

Ok I actually mightve just found what I want. I went to sportsmans warehouse in chattanooga today and they had a remington 700 ADL I think with a scope and it was only $399.99. It has a synthetic stock and a black matte finish barrel. I actually might get a .300 win mag... kinda overkill, but I think I might like it a little more. Ive heard alot of bad stuff about remington lately, so does anyone know anything about these?

Academy had the 700 ADLs for $349 with no scope. The sales flyer about two weeks ago listed 3 calibers in the description but the listed part numbers were for .30-06, .243, 7mm Mag, .270, and one more which I believe was the .308. Academy didn't list the .308 on the website but I think that is what the last part number was for.

Ok I actually mightve just found what I want. I went to sportsmans warehouse in chattanooga today and they had a remington 700 ADL I think with a scope and it was only $399.99. It has a synthetic stock and a black matte finish barrel. I actually might get a .300 win mag... kinda overkill, but I think I might like it a little more. Ive heard alot of bad stuff about remington lately, so does anyone know anything about these?

I have been shooting Remington 700's since 1982 and I have never had a failure of any type. I am not convinced these reports are real. I have worked on a lot of Remington triggers also and I have not had one go off accidentally either, even though I have set some pretty light. As too a 300 Win Mag, maybe but that is a little more recoil and cost than necessary. I would still recommend a 30-06 followed by the 270 then the 308. At least for a primary deer rifle that could be used for varmints or just plinking. A 7mag would be a better choice for most in the belted magnums but it is going to add cost without much benefit especially of you are not in a place where long shots are the norm.

Well, you need to watch Dateline tonight on CNBC. They are crucifying Remington and the 700 for safety failures. Apparently the Army is having problems out of them as well. in 2003 the Sniper school reported as many as 2 accidental fires in 20 rounds. They show film of a U.S. Army sniper in the prone position with bolt cocked, safety on and hand away from the trigger. With his trigger hand he switches off the safety and the rifle goes off.

They also interviewed Mike Walker who came up with the design for the 700. He is 98 years old. He admits the rifle safety and trigger have problems and on numerous occasions requested the company redesign both. He even came up with a fix that would have cost Remington 5.5 cents in the 1950's. Remington apparently didn't make that fix. Laura Watson, an officer of Remington admitted in a deposition back in January that Remington was aware that the 700 could fire under certain conditions without a pull of the trigger. They showed tape of the deposition.

Not Remington's finest hour.

Edited by Moped

Moped, there is a thread started on this subject so I will end this Remington 700 point with this, when I buy a new or used gun, I check it out completely. I test triggers and actions. If I find something wrong I fix it or have it fixed. But I say again, I have never had nor have I seen, heard, met or know anyone that has had this problem. Remington 700's will remain at the top of my personal list. If I ever have this problem, my muzzle will be pointed down range and nothing bad will happen. Then I will fix it.

Hmm well I guess the caliber is still up in the air. I'm pretty set on the Remington 700 ADL and I think I'll see if I can afford to get the stainless barrel on it. I'm not too concerned about the accidental discharges... If there really is a problem then I think remington would be responsible enough to make a recall like they did on the old 870's. I think the news stations are just gonna milk that story for all its worth and I'm sure theyre trying to turn even more people against guns. Just out of curiousity what would be your reason for choosing a 7mm rem mag over a .300 win mag? I'm just trying to learn as much as I can.

Mainly recoil, a 140 grain 7mm mag feels to me about like a 165 grain 30-06. Going to a 300 you are getting a more recoil, blast and higher ammo cost with not that much return, especially if we are talking deer. I still recommend the 30-06 or the 270 for this neck of the woods. Lots of ammo to choose from for those two and they will kill anything east of the Mississippi and most things west of it.

It looks like the ammo for the 7mm rem mag and .300 win mag costs about $33 for 20 rounds. The .270 win and .30-06 springfield are around $22-24 per box of 20. I do eventually want to get a 7mm rem mag or a .300 win mag, but for all practical purposes right now you think it would be better to get a .30-06 or a .270? Why would you choose those over the .308? Is it because its hard to find hunting ammo for it or are there other reasons?

It looks like the ammo for the 7mm rem mag and .300 win mag costs about $33 for 20 rounds. The .270 win and .30-06 springfield are around $22-24 per box of 20. I do eventually want to get a 7mm rem mag or a .300 win mag, but for all practical purposes right now you think it would be better to get a .30-06 or a .270? Why would you choose those over the .308? Is it because its hard to find hunting ammo for it or are there other reasons?

Generally, there is no real performance difference in the 06 and the 308 up to 150-165 range. Above that, the 06 will outperform the 308 with 180's or heavier. Also there is a much broader range of factory ammo available for the 06 than any other factory round. It has not survived a 107 years for no reason. If you ever take up reloading you can outperform the 308 with any bullet weight across the board. If ammo gets in short supply again, your best chance to find some is going to be 06 or 270. The 270 is a very good deer and varmint cartridge as well. A little flatter shooting than the 06 and 308, but not as versatile. But again, very popular and ammo is always available. I have to hit the bed but let me end this thread by saying that in a hunting rifle, anything that can be done with a 308 can be done by a 06 even better. IMHO.

In east TN, it's rare to get a shot at a deer much beyond 100 yds, most are 75 yds or closer. Hence the ballistic advantage of .30-06 and larger cartridges is basically useless. If you intend to hunt deer or larger critters in flat areas, then the larger cartridges have value.

Don't sweat the "this bullet vs. that bullet" stuff. If you dig a little, darn near everything is available in darn near every caliber. Plus you can hand load whatever you want. As with pistol shooting, shot placement is key. Find a rifle you like, that fits your budget, and go kill some stuff.

Stevens!!!

They are a savage minus the trigger. All parts interchange.

308 is a great choice. It will get you to 500 yds+ with a little practice and quality ammo is cheaper to get some trigger time with. The 308 is fairly easy on the shoulder too.

Looked a little deeper into the post so here's some more stuff. My opinions take it or leave it:

I'll take the short action .308 over the long action 30-06 any day unless i'm hunting for something bigger than white tail or at longer distances than 400 yds.

Well then if i were hunting for bigger animals i'ld go for 300 win mag or bigger.

30-06 is an in-betweener 30 cal cartridge. The 308win, 30-06spring, and 300 win mag are all the same 30 cal bore but the amount of powder you can crame in the case is different. You will gain 200-300 fps going with the 30-06 over the 308 which isn't really much. Last i checked there were more 308 factory cartridge options than 30-06. (look around for yourself and see what you find, if you prove me wrong great)

now the 270 is a fast cartridge and if you're not regularly shooting animals at 250 yds plus, many factory loads (not all) have a tendancy to zip right through a deer with out causing as much damage as the 308 or 30-06. In other words the 308 or 30-06 is going to put more knock down on and in the deer at TN ranges.

there were a few cartridges mentioned earlier that do not have a nice variety of factory ammo available such as 260rem. While it's a great cartrige it has just never really caught on. 7mm-08 is also sweet little cartridge that is catching on fast but again not as much factory ammo out there yet as 308. 30-06, or 270.

Finally like glockster mentioned the mag cartridges are going to add cost with out benefit for TN ranges and will donate a sore shoulder if you practice which you should.

i say keep up the hunt for a 308win stevens.

Edited by fastbs
added some stuff