Haslam company bans firearms in parking lots

Guest 1817ak47

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to hold my nose and vote for Haslam because I cannot stand the Democratic party this year over more than just McWherter/Haslam. I would have preferred Ron Ramsey. The Democratic party is no longer the party of my forefathers who lived in Arkansas. I have voted straight party line. Some don't but the past couple elections I do as the democratic party, especially nationally, has become extremely liberal, in my view.

I am sick of the pandering the Democratic Party has done to illegal aliens, 'community organizers' like NAACP and ACORN, and programs for people who want to smoke crack and have babies out of wedlock and get paid more govt. checks. The bailouts passed by mostly Democrats and the healthcare law was my last straw of ever voting for one. Taking from me and spreading it to the banks, crackheads, methheads, car companies sealed the deal. I can't vote for such a party that supports that.

Razorback... As bad as I hated to, I voted for Haslam also. The main reason for me was if a senator is removed from office, or dies, then the governor appoints a person to take their place. The governor will select from his/her own party. I'm tired of the unbalance of power. We need a balance of power in Washington.

1gewehr... I feel the same way you do...

They all say what they think you want to hear when running...

No, I did not vote a straight party ticket.

Guest tnxdshooter
Haslam company bans firearms in parking lots | wbir.com

Republican gubernatorial candidate Bill Haslam's support for requiring businesses to allow their workers to store guns in vehicles parked on company property conflicts with the policy in place for the 20,000 employees at a family-run chain of truck stops.

Company spokeswoman Cynthia Moxley told The Associated Press on Tuesday that Knoxville-based Pilot Flying J prohibits workers from storing their firearms in their vehicles at both its travel centers and corporate offices.

Haslam, who was president of Pilot until he was elected Knoxville mayor in 2003, told reporters a day earlier that he didn't know the company's policy on guns in parking lots.

Gun advocates and business interests have been divided over efforts to repeal a state law that lets companies decide whether to forbid employees from keeping guns in their cars while they work.

I hear ya on that. I wanted ramsey to win. I'll be damned if I vote for McWherter he is anti gun in every sense of the word and daddy ned ray developed tn care which has been a disgrace from day one.

It doesn't surprise me that Haslam's company has some policy against guns. Most big companies do. That is the typical corporate America. Their policies mean about as much as toilet paper to me as long as it isn't a criminal offense.

I've carried at a many a big companies and no one knows. They probably had a policy but I didn't care and still don't. I've never been frisked walking into a Fortune 100 company HQ to meet with someone.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GLOCKGUY
News flash….He won. :D

So now we can see what he will do as Governor instead of what happened at a company he does not control. I for one am willing to let him start with a clean slate and Judge him on what he does as Governor.

I with you on this 100%

Guest SLT Kota

Hmmm. I am very interested in this as I have a class taught by Pilot's senior Manager in charge of the risk management department. I'm sure he knows about this new policy and probably had something to due with it. I meant to ask him his opinion on legal carry at pilot tonight but forgot, after seeing this I will for sure ask him about it in Wednesday, if it wasn't his decision I'm sure he will know who's decision it was and why it was made. I do know that they have hired armed security guards at some of their travel centers but not all of them.

Hopefully I can get an answer directly from the source.

Later,

Stuart

Edit: After taking this class and getting to know the teacher, I seriously doubt Bill had ANYTHING to do with the decision and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even know about it.

Edited by SLT Kota
  • 1 month later...
Guest boybarian

I am wanting to know how the castle doctrine for cars effects a persons right to carry in their car. I consider my car my property, and the parking lot their property.

Are they liable for damages if I am injured or killed during a violent crime on my way to or from work. If they presume to deny me the right to protect myself, I can only assume that they are willing to bear the financial responsibility if I am injured or killed en route to or from work.

I will look up the castle doctrine to get a more clear understanding of it.

Best of luck with that.

You can use deadly force against forcible entry into your vehicle while you are in it, but unlike your home, you can't have a loaded weapon in vehicle without a HCP.

Do you understand? If so, that makes one of us.

- OS

Are they liable for damages if I am injured or killed during a violent crime on my way to or from work. If they presume to deny me the right to protect myself, I can only assume that they are willing to bear the financial responsibility if I am injured or killed en route to or from work.

You might have a case if anyone recognized carrying a gun as a right; but they don’t. The state of Tennessee doesn’t and neither does the 6<SUP>th</SUP> District or the Supreme Court of the United States.

I am wanting to know how the castle doctrine for cars effects a persons right to carry in their car.

Castle doctrine is basically a theory; not a set of laws. And it really isn’t hard to understand. Without Castle Doctrine if you killed an intruder in your home and you used self-defense as a defense, you would need to convince a jury that you were in danger.

With Castle Doctrine it is assumed that you were in danger. However… Castle Doctrine doesn’t create a free fire zone; it is an assumption that a Prosecutor can break down. If he can prove to the jury that a reasonable person should have known you were not in danger; you can be convicted.

DISCLAIMER: Sometimes knowing the law makes it look like you support that law. I believe that you should have the right to shoot dead any criminal that is trying to make you a victim. However… I need to know that if I do that I could very well end up in a prison and leave my family without me; that is not an option for me.

Castle doctrine is basically a theory; not a set of laws. And it really isn’t hard to understand. Without Castle Doctrine if you killed an intruder in your home and you used self-defense as a defense, you would need to convince a jury that you were in danger.

With Castle Doctrine it is assumed that you were in danger. However… Castle Doctrine doesn’t create a free fire zone; it is an assumption that a Prosecutor can break down. If he can prove to the jury that a reasonable person should have known you were not in danger; you can be convicted.

DISCLAIMER: Sometimes knowing the law makes it look like you support that law. I believe that you should have the right to shoot dead any criminal that is trying to make you a victim. However… I need to know that if I do that I could very well end up in a prison and leave my family without me; that is not an option for me.

Well said...

...and as far as Castle Doctrine/Self-Defense and your car go.... Yes, if someone is trying to break into your car while you are in it, the same presumption applies as if they were trying to break into your house. But the law still does not allow you to have a loaded firearm in your car without a HCP. Also the law allows property owners to prohibit the carry/possession of firearms and to my knowledge no property owner has ever been held liable for any damages because of that.