1911 book/literature

LagerHead

I'm interested in learning more about the 1911. Specifically I would like to learn enough to know the ins and outs of all the parts, etc. At least enough to do my own basic work to it. I'm not a gunsmith, I don't play one on TV, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but I know my way around a tool box and I understand how a gun works. But I would like something that includes lots of pictures and diagrams that show what they're talking about.

Suggestions?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will help you understand the beast. The hide feature is awesome.

http://www.m1911.org/loader.swf

I have seen that before, but it was before I got my 1911. i will now bookmark it for future reference. Is that a series 70 or 80 depicted?

There are tons of books out there. Probably more than has ever been published about any handgun. Take your pick....Amazon.com: 1911: Books

Amazon was the first place I went but like you said there are more books than you can shake a stick at. I just don't know which is worth buying.

Thanks. I'll look into that. I have a Kimber though. I'm guessing it's completely Colt-centric? I know all designs are based on theirs so that may not be a huge deal.

I have the first 2 pictured here. Both pretty good. The first (Vol. 1) is a little dated in the discussions it has about "then current" 1911's. However, one thing you'll find out is that the 1911 platform is pretty stable.

Gun Price Guides, Gun Value Books, Firearms Pricing Guides - GunDigestStore.com

Thanks. Those are the first two that Amazon returned too and I was looking at them. If I just ordered Volume 2 would I be behind the power curve due to information in Volume 1, or is the Volume 2 just the updated version and not an extension of Volume 1?

Join this forum, lots of helpfull threads on take down, detail strip, gunsmithing etc

1911Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Blasphemy! A non-TGO gun forum? :(

I have seen that before, but it was before I got my 1911. i will now bookmark it for future reference. Is that a series 70 or 80 depicted?

Thanks. I'll look into that. I have a Kimber though. I'm guessing it's completely Colt-centric? I know all designs are based on theirs so that may not be a huge deal.

Series 70 for the animation.

The Kimber is exactly the same except for the firing pin safety that is the Schwartz system. Everything else applies though. If you need help with anything don't hesitate to holler at me, it seems we live close to each other.

And to Tim: Yep, we're just around the bend. I live across the river in the neighborhood behind the red caboose. That's right city folks, I said behind the red caboose. Now them's country directions.

That's funny. I remember getting direction once and the guy told me to make a left where the exxon use to be. LOL

Guest chosinsteve

I got a really good book on the 1911 from my father-in-law called "1911 The First 100 Years" by Patrick Sweeney. It has a lot of good information.

That's funny. I remember getting direction once and the guy told me to make a left where the exxon use to be. LOL

Where I live there was an orange AMC Gremlin that sat on blocks at a prominent intersection. I used it all the time as a reference for people. Problem was most people had no clue what a Gemlin was. To that my response was always "you will know when you see it".

Dolomite

Guest motonut
We have a winner. It's free! Thanks, Kano.

And to Tim: Yep, we're just around the bend. I live across the river in the neighborhood behind the red caboose. That's right city folks, I said behind the red caboose. Now them's country directions.

Works really well.....just don't try to enter it into a GPS.
Yeah I know, but they get much more technical on gunsmith for 1911, where TGO is spread accross all platforms. And dont think you wont see some of the same screen names from here on there!

At least he didn't tell people to just get a Glock LOL.