Ruger gp-100

gnmwilliams

So I've been looking at different hunting pistols for a while now and was looking at a Taurus 608 6'' model. However, due to reading various accounts of limited durability in the long term I went looking some more and came accross the Ruger gp-100. I've read nothing but good stuff about this pistol and am wondering if anyone can give me an idea as to its durability and it's effectiveness as a hunting pistol compared to the 608? It just doesn't look as kewl as the Taurus but I can get over that....I guess (sigh) :(

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you limiting yourself only to .357? The GP100 is as good as they come, but .41 or .44 magnum guns make a much better hunting platform.

If you only are considering a .357 - the GP100 really isn't meant for a scope. Even in the range of .357 (20 - 75 yards) a scope or red dot helps quite a bit.

Make sure you only consider a 6" model. Legally and ballistically it is the only way to go.

Since you will be shooting SA - the difference between it and a Taurus or S&W will be whatever fits your hand the best.

TWRA says it needs to be at least .40 caliber if I'm not mistaken.

Since when? Is that new? It used to be 'any centerfire handgun with a minimum of a four inch barrel'.

Edit:

From the 'Legal Equipment' section of the TWRA website, under the heading, "Deer, Bear, Boar, Elk and Feral Hog Hunting":

• Centerfire handguns firing a single projectile and having a barrel length of four inches or more, in all counties except where regulated by legislative acts.

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/huntweapons.html

Edited by JAB
Since when? Is that new? It used to be 'any centerfire handgun with a minimum of a four inch barrel'.

Edit:

From the 'Legal Equipment' section of the TWRA website, under the heading, "Deer, Bear, Boar, Elk and Feral Hog Hunting":

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/huntweapons.html

Nevermind, I was confused as I often am by hunting regulations.

Muzzleloading percussion cap or flintlock rifles, handguns or shotguns of .40 caliber (.40-inches) minimum. These muzzleloading firearms are legal during any gun season or hunt unless otherwise specified. Muzzleloading firearms are defined as those firearms which are incapable of being loaded from the breech.

I GP 100 w/ a 6in barrel is the way to go in .357 as far as I am concerned. I picked mine up used and absolutely love it. Frankly, I like it better than a colt python that I shot a while back, (and I consider myself to be something of a colt fanboy). Granted, I use mine for range time and not hunting, but the GP 100 is a great weapon and I am sure you won't be disappointed if you get one.

If you only are considering a .357 - the GP100 really isn't meant for a scope. Even in the range of .357 (20 - 75 yards) a scope or red dot helps quite a bit.

Make sure you only consider a 6" model. Legally and ballistically it is the only way to go.

Since you will be shooting SA - the difference between it and a Taurus or S&W will be whatever fits your hand the best.

Mine works pretty darn good with a scope. The open sights of a GP100 are great too.

DSC_6329.jpg

You asked about the durability of the GP 100. I used to manage a shooting range, out of all the revolvers we had the GP 100 was the only one that did not get sent to factory for rapairs during the 2+ years i worked there. S&W's, Taurus' Freedom Arms or what not they all made a bunch of trips back to factory to rebuild or broken something but not the GP100. That is why when i bought my first revolver it was a GP100.

Guest The Highlander

The most accurate revolver I own is a 6" GP-100. Love them Rugers. Brownell's carries scope mounts, and you can probably find them at Midway and other places as well.

As far as durability, I seriously doubt you will ever wear it out! In that "only one gun scenario" a 4" stainless steel, adjustable sighted GP-100 would probably be my pick.

If the trigger pull doesn't suit you, pick up a Wolff spring kit from Brownell's at the same time you order a scope mount. With the use of an ordinary paper clip and about 15 minutes of unskilled labor time, you will have a decent trigger. Not gunsmith quality, but better than factory, with no stoning or filing. Just a simple parts change.