Electrical problem with a Honda CRV

KahrMan

Hoping some of you guys can point me in correct direction. My daughter drives a '01 CRV with 135k miles. The last couple of days she has been having an intermittent problem. She will be driving along and the radio would go off and the speedometer needle would jerk back and forth. This would last for about a second and everything returns to normal. This morning it happened and the headlights dimmed also. The other times happened during the day.

Anybody have any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest uofmeet

This is probably way off. But have you changed any fuses? If you had, check those. Sounds like something could be messing up and draining to much power and a fuse not blowing like it should. Just a guess, and I could be way off on this though.

Also, what was the driving conditions? At rest? slowing down/accelerating? Engine running hotter or colder than normal lately? How old is the battery?

A bad fuse was my thought too, until he said headlights. I don't have a fuse box diagram for a CR-V, but I don't think I've ever seen a vehicle not have the headlights on its own fuse.

Try www.automotiveforums.com

I've always had good luck with help from their model specific sub-forums.

I'd also run it over to Advance Auto Parts and have them run a free OBD check. The computer may be throwing out some error codes, but nothing serious enough to activate the "Check Engine" light. If it is, those codes will help you figure out the problem.

Check two things first if the headlights are going dim have the altenator and battery checked.This is the easiest. Second Hondas gauge cluster are a cluster f***. Have a diagnostics test run on your guage cluster this is a common problem that we run across quite a bit here at the shop. If it is this the worst that will happen is that all of your gauges will quit working but wont effect on how the vehicle runs.

Hope this helps.

Voltage regulator is going out. Replace the alternator if you don't know how to replace just the regulator.

Guaranteed.

Funky, jerky gauges is the first sign one is going out. All of the other electronics acting weird is the next sign.

Guest no_masters

sounds like your alternator is going out. there are two fuses boxes on those if you havent found them already. one under the dash on either the passenger or driver side, the other is under the hood near the battery.

what strickj said. the other electronics will start acting funny, dash lights dimming, radio cutting out.