Has the jury come to a verdict on the officers compact 1911?

kesava

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What brand?

The size has been out for many years. It is w/o a doubt the least reliable and the most finnicky of all of the 1911 sizes. Many have liked their officer sized guns I suppose. I consider the Gov model to be the most reliable and the most accurate 1911, the grandfather of all. Many 1911 smiths won't have less than a gov. model. Personally I have found the commander length to be acceptable in reliability and accuracy and have and at times do carry them. I do not and would not ever carry a 1911 smaller than a 4" barreled version. And event at 4" with the bushingless design, you are stretching its limits. That is just me and my personal comfort.

I've had several makes and models in the past, but don't currently own any. They're great guns, but they do require a bit more maintenance than the commander and full-sized models.

Particularly, the recoil springs will need to be replaced every so often in order to ensure reliability. I'm not one to keep strict round counts, so I just replaced the springs whenever they started jamming. That ruled out their use as carry weapons, for me, so I let them go. Beautiful guns, though.

I have a Springfield Armory Ultra Compact. So far (about 3 years and several hundreds -- if not thousands -- of rounds from various manufacturers), and not so much as a hic-up, burp, or FTF.

As has been noted above, that's just my own experience. Maybe I got an exceptional weapon. But it has been flawless, right out of the box up til now. I have a full-size Colt, and I'm not one whit better with it than I am with the compact model (SA's "Officers" model). That probably has more to do with my own limitations than the firearms themselves. For what it's worth, I traded a Colt 1911 for the Springfield because the Colt wouldn't feed self-defense ammo. It liked hardball just fine, but I couldn't get a mag worth of rounds through that Colt without a jam. The Colt I now have has digested anything I've fed it. So it would seem that, like most anything else, you can find a lemon -- or a gem -- in just about any manufacturer's line.

Again, just my own experience. I wouldn't ask for a more accurate, more reliable, less troublesome pistol than my SA Ultra Compact model, or the full-size Colt I now have. And the compact model is a little easier to carry concealed.

Just my :).

I have a Rock Island Compact Tactical that I bought from Phil at Bellshire Hardware on Dickerson Road. The first round that auto loaded didn't go all the way into battery, I had to bump it with my thumb to finish the job. The next 199 rounds that I have put through it so far have all been flawless, but they have all been FMJ's. Haven't tried to run any hollow points through it yet.

I had a Colt Series 80 Officer's Model for several years, but I never carried it for SD unless stoked with ball ammo. Why? It ranked right up there with my INTERARMS PPK .380 as a habitual jamamatic! It was far too ammo finicky once I used anything but GI ball ammo in it. It was a beautiful weapon but not reliable enough for carry even after 3 trips to Colt and an aftermarket barrel and springs. The Commander is a totally different story, I love the gun.

I have a Kimber Ultra II Eclipse as my EDC. Well over 500 rounds of all types. It loves Remington Golden Sabre 230 grain as well as regular ball. As stated above, the compact 1911 requires some extra effort due to the need for a tool for disassembly( ie. paper clip). However, any FTF I have ever witnessed has been due to "limp wristing".

As with any firearm for daily carry, practice, practice, practice.

I shoot a Para "Carry" .45 regularly when i take the big guns out for some exercise. That little pistol has surprised me with it's accuracy and reliability. Even though it has never jammed using all types of bullets, I still carry with hardball just for my sanity. It's probly time to get past what i've heard and shoot what i like, hot HPs.

The pic below shows it in the officer's size holster. The Para is 1/2" shorter than a Colt so it drops in a little deeper. Still fits well. Also, my hands are pretty big so i added the arched extended mainspring housing from Smith and Alexander. Made a huge difference in how it felt.

ParaCarryinBianchi.jpg

OK, I'll add to this as well. I've had a Colt Officer's Model since the mid-90's and have only put 2000 or so rounds thru it. But other than one mag with bent feed lips that frustrated me, it has digested everything from surplus hardball to hollowpoint SD. Granted, for me, it has become more of a range toy and most recently a safe queen.

Also have a SA LW Loaded Operator and love to shoot it. Actually prefer it to the O Model.

Edited by hipower

I think this is another internet thang.

You will always read posts about sub-5 inch 1911s not feeding right. But people who actually own and carry them always post how reliable theirs are. You will very rarely read a post from actual owners claiming problems. If you do it's usually ammo related.

For me, I've never had any problems out of my RIA Officers. Not one. Even with HPs and steel cased.