Large Hadron Collider

Guest clsutton21

Your opinion on the Large Hadron Collider  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Your opinion on the Large Hadron Collider

• Beneficial to science.
    • Will kill us all!!!
    • I don't really care or know what it is.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
I think it will be beneficial to science, but I doubt it will do as much as I've heard without

costing so much money to be worthwhile. Bottom line is the bottom line and it can't be

ignored. Scientists get our money, and that's okay with me, as long as the project has goals

that will benefit society. They should be held to account for the money spent as Congress

should be held accountable. No blank checks. Goals must be attainable and in writing.

Beneficial to science and society should be the goal.

Based on the posts I've seen from you, I'm a bit shocked at this comment.

The last thing I want is our scientists held accountable and controlled by Congress.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the posts I've seen from you, I'm a bit shocked at this comment.

The last thing I want is our scientists held accountable and controlled by Congress.

"They should be held to account for the money spent ,as Congress

should be held accountable."

There, is that better? That's what I meant.

Fortunately, most scientist are accountable to no one. Because there's no way to guarantee any attainable goal. They get their money, and if they don't end up with something to show for it, they eventually quit getting any money... unlike congress or any other government/government agency.

Oh, and what's beneficial to science may not necessarily be beneficial to society. :confused:

That's true.

Most scientists aren't accountable to anyone, but they should be. You give someone a blank check and

they usually come back looking for more. If they have stated goals and scrutinized carefully, with good

science to back it up, and there is something to benefit society(take that loosely, please), I don't have

a problem with it.

The problem I have with science grants is the politics behind the scenes. The LHC had a cousin that was

once projected to be around the middle Tennessee area, 20 or so years ago. I don't remember what

happened to it. I think it was the cost of the project, though, maybe not. But when the federal government

gets involved in funding of large or small projects to universities and laboratories, there is usually a political

angle that gets in the way of science. If the politics isn't there, I'm happy, but just like global warming,

there is way too much politics and too little real science involved.

The only way you're going to take politics out of it is to take people out of it... and I don't think even science can manage that one yet.

... well, not and still get anything done. :confused:

I just think that money shoudln't be thrown at science for the sake of science. A lot of realistic and beneficial accomplishments could be made with the resources that are thrown away on this project if it was directed at more beneficial research. Or do you guys like having no cures for many diseases because it's not profitable enough for the drug companies to do it?

Actually, not that lazy, thanks.

The idea of allegedly producing a "mini big bang" doesn't make

me very comfortable, since the original one started out very small, and is still expanding.

These people, or their fundraisers shouldn't use "finding out about the origins of the

universe" to get funding. I don't buy into that at all. Exploring at the atomic, or sub-atomic

level with these huge, expensive gadgets will eventually lead to some significant discoveries

that may show benefit, one of these days.

They cost is way too much to be worrying about right now, though. I'm happy for CERN.

Europe ain't exactly a bed of roses, economically, either.

....We have a lot of lazy people around the Interwebs...

....Let me google that for you....

Thanks; i love the animation for the google search. Now that i remember, i like it; looks like the euroweenies got stuck with this one.

My guess (...since this aint defense establishment related stuff...) is that nothing will come of the research other than the general fleecing

of whomever put up the euros and the "welfare' that will result to the euroweenie "scientists" studying the "collisions".

I say "pooey" to the likelyhood of anything meaningful comming from the hadron collider. Kind like SETI here in the good ole USA.

seti-telescope.jpg

Unbelieving Leroy

Edited by leroy
spelling!!!!
Guest bkelm18

Not sure it was mentioned elsewhere, but you guys are aware that there are a few particle accelerators here in the US as well? There's a brand new one here in Oak Ridge. These aren't just hokus pokus science toys.

...Not sure it was mentioned elsewhere, but you guys are aware that there are a few particle accelerators here in the US as well? There's a brand new one here in Oak Ridge. These aren't just hokus pokus science toys. ...

This one probably aint. Is it the "Spallation Neutron Source" at ORNL. Check this one out: China Spallation Neutron Source

I do believe in these.

Leroy

Guest cr25ovet

i think its an amazing piece of technology. i am amazed that the piece of technolgy is located in europe and the usa only paid about 5% of it costs. the usa should be the leader but it seems we are losing our edge here.... should be located in the usa. now seriously what has the usa done technolgy in the last 40 years... the last amazing thing was when they send men to the moon. i cant wait for the tests..... be amazing if we could detect parallel universe.

I went with Beneficial to science. However I am a bit of a nerd. Guys just think of it as the worlds larges gun in a way. BTW, we have a similar device in Oak Ridge, Spallation Neutron Source.

I some how got invited to the Oak Ridge SNS for their Open House when it was just being brought online. Not sure how but I ended up with an invitation and my wife and I went. I drove my rusty o pick up truck back in there to the secure area. They invited us to bring camera's as well. I don't know what hard drive those pictures are on right now I have some, not allot.

I have also got to stand next to the Calutron(I hope I spelled right) that used during WW2 to enrich uranium for the early atomic bombs, back in 2005.

http://www.smithdray1.net/angeltowns/or/calutronsplowshares.htm

Edited by vontar