Carry Permit Classes/Testing

Guest dcc0711

Guest dcc0711

I am scheduled to attend the carry permit class in 2 weeks. It seems that everyone is telling me something different about what to expect as far as the shooting portion goes. Can I get some feedback on what has been involved in your testing - especially if you attended the school at the Mt. Juliet police dept. (what distances did you shoot from, extended arm or gun close to body, bulls eye or full body target, how many shots in target are required to pass, etc.)

Thanks for your help!!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The state mandates a score of at least 70% on at least a 48 round qualification course. If you shoot 48 rounds, 33 are required to be on the target, which is a (human) silhouette target. If you shoot more than 48 rounds, 70% is the minimum to qualify.

You will shoot 12 rounds from 3 yards, 12 rounds from 7 yards, 12 rounds from 15 yards, and 12 or more rounds at the instructor's discretion.

Generally, the shooting is done from a two handed grip at full extension. There may be a little one handed shooting involved.

I have not attended the MJPD course, but I have gone through 4 other THCP courses (and teach it) and I would expect your experience will be similar to what I have described.

Good luck and welcome to TGO !

Guest dcc0711

Thanks for the info. I had someone tell me yesterday that his wife just gook the class (don't remember which one) and that she didn't do any "extended arm" shooting. She had to hold the gun close to her chest to shoot. The instructor said that prevented someone from taking the gun out of her hand. I thought it sounded not only unusual, but a little dangerous.

Guest pws_smokeyjones
The state mandates a score of at least 70% on at least a 48 round qualification course. If you shoot 48 rounds, 33 are required to be on the target, which is a (human) silhouette target. If you shoot more than 48 rounds, 70% is the minimum to qualify.

You will shoot 12 rounds from 3 yards, 12 rounds from 7 yards, 12 rounds from 15 yards, and 12 or more rounds at the instructor's discretion.

Generally, the shooting is done from a two handed grip at full extension. There may be a little one handed shooting involved.

I have not attended the MJPD course, but I have gone through 4 other THCP courses (and teach it) and I would expect your experience will be similar to what I have described.

Good luck and welcome to TGO !

BigPoppa pretty much said all that needs to be said. Don't expect anything fancy or 'tricky' - they are not out to make you stumble, they just test to make sure you are safe and proficient with your firearm.

I took my HCP course last year at Guns and Leather in Greenbriar and that course of fire sounds almost exactly what we did. You don't have to hit a bullseye, just the silhouette. Don't worry too much about it. The shooting portion is extremely easy to pass. Good luck. :cheers:

Guest TargetShooter84

My HCP class was good, I learned alot in the classroom, and just pay attention to what the instructor is saying and you'll do fine on the test, and for the targets, the guys above me pretty much said it loud and clear...Good Luck!

Thanks for the info. I had someone tell me yesterday that his wife just gook the class (don't remember which one) and that she didn't do any "extended arm" shooting. She had to hold the gun close to her chest to shoot. The instructor said that prevented someone from taking the gun out of her hand. I thought it sounded not only unusual, but a little dangerous.

the way i picturing this is her holding her gun in both hands and shooting from mid-chest,right on her heart.

you would have no sights and would be hard to hit a target more than a few yards away,and being you are being scored i dont see an instructor doing this for a hcp class.maybe at a defensive shooting class but not on a scored hcp class.

BigPoppa was right on the money with 48 rounds and the distances

Guest ETS_Inc

I could tell you exactly who taught her class. He uses the range out at the Smyrna NG base. I'll tell you this, too, he's the ONLY instructor I know of in the area who uses that retention technique.

Basically, he has the students hold the guns close to their non-dominant shoulder for close-in shooting, and then extend their arms only slightly for further distances. Your body is bladed away from the target. Personally, I'm not a fan of the technique, as I think it's assinine. If I'm that close to my attacker that I have to worry about them taking my gun, I'm firing from the hip, as soon as I clear leather. If I've got the time to stop, turn my body 90 degrees, draw my gun, and bring it to my chest, the target's either far enough away for me not to have to worry about retention, or he probably wasn't that much of a threat to start.

Guest ETS_Inc
Are the initials JY?

No, not at all. He actually teaches good techniques. He's just got a very brash personality. That, and I don't believe he teaches HCP classes.

The instructor of whom I'm thinking has the initials BT.

I'm getting ready for the handgun safety course. The fact sheet I rcvd from the MJ Police says bring 150 rounds - but thats about 3X what you all are saying is whats actually shot. What would the extra ammo be for?

Atomic is a handgun safety class the same as a carry permit class?

I assume some places teach more maybe than the basic HCP class. I know when you take a HCP class from Phantom6 included in that is the NRA Basic Pistol course. Maybe MJP is teaching something similar to that. It would account for needing more rounds.

And from what little I know there is some lee-way on how a course is taught and what is required to pass.

Guest ETS_Inc

Many schools don't feel that 50 rounds is really enough for you to be considered safe and competent with a gun. So, they'll have you shoot between 100-150 rounds, in order to get some experience.

For many people, that's not a bad idea. Trust me, many people who take the HCP class are barely able to tell you where the bullets exit, much less describe how to actually operate the gun.

But, for some people, 100-150 rounds is a significant amount of shooting, particularly dependant on the type of gun they're using. How many of us would enjoy putting 100-150 rounds through a 2" .38, or a Kel-Tec P3AT in an hour or two. Especially if we were elderly, smaller, or weakened by some form of physical condition? There are a lot of people who just can't handle 100-150 rounds in such short order. (Even if they are the ones who could most benefit from it.)

Still others have significant levels of experience and skill that the extra rounds aren't really necessary. You can tell these people apart fairly quickly. (Unfortunately, you also have people who THINK they have levels of skill and experience far beyond those they really possess. - You can also tell those people apart fairly quickly.)

Guest ETS_Inc
Yes. Handgun Safety Course is the official name from the state. It is the required course to get a Handgun Carry Permit, so that's what everybody calls it.

Not in all cases. The Williamson County Sheriff's Department offers a one-day a week, for three weeks Firearms Safety Class. It's not a TN DoS approved Carry Permit course, but it does teach basic firearms safety, and allows graduates to use the WCSD range on their monthly open-range days.

They also offer a TN DoS approved HCP class, taught by several Deputies, on the WCSD range.

The Deputies teach the classes as part of SATS - Small Arms Training School.

when i took my course in Chatt a little more than a year ago, here is what happened. when we went to the range, the instructor asked who all had shot in a closed range before. when we signed up, we were told to bring at least 100 rounds. so we go for the shooting qualification, and she informs us of the range rules, etc. she then handed out the targets, and told us that this was a free 45 minutes or so before we were goign to actually be scored, so listen up for range commands and practice away to your hearts content.

there were several reasons for this, my class was broken into 3 sections. one set was watching the state mandated video, another set was on lunch, and the 3rd set was in the range. the video was about an hour long, so the breaks were tied up with this timeframe as well.

i personally only used my 100 rounds. 50 practice, and the rest for the qualifying part. there was a guy next to me that went through 150 rounds or so just practicing. after class, he bought more to shoot the rest of the evening as the range was closed to the public that afternoon.

im sure the shooting portion will be different from class to class as the sizes probably vary from week to week.

Guest ETS_Inc
So let me ask... I take it there is a minimum standard for the classroom and range part of the DOS approved safety class, but after that each instructor can pretty much freelance after that correct?

To some extent. The DoS has to approve each curriculum, though, they use anything but the one written by the State.

Yes. Handgun Safety Course is the official name from the state. It is the required course to get a Handgun Carry Permit, so that's what everybody calls it.

MJ Police calls it a hand gun safety class and its offered to meet HCP requirements; It may serve other puposes too but they are not listed if thats the case. I've qualified many times on military ranges, even ran a few so some extra target time will be fine.icon14.gif

BTW can anyone reccomend an in-door range in the Nashville Mt Juliet area? I know of only one range - near Long Hunter Park but its all out door. Nothing wrong w/ outdoor but weather and daylight can come into play at times.