Phoenix Arms Hp22a Review.

Guest Xring04

Guest Xring04

In my travels yesterday, I came across a little gunshop/gunsmith in downtown Sevierville. The main reason I went it was to ask a question about shotgun sight options, and the gunsmith answered my questions by recommending a set that I could easily put on at home.

After getting that kind of service, I had to purchase something to help out a local gun vendor. After eyeballing the accessories, I walked to his small gun case.

A hp22a sat there enticing me with it's low price. Since I figured that I had never owned a true "Saturday night special" it had to go home with me.

After saying "I'll take it", a sense of dread fell over me. I realized that I had just wasted $150. Or so I thought. Upon getting home I disassembled the little pistol, lubed it a bit and ran a mag through it. It worked.

Fast forward to this morning, I decided to test out the little gun, but the weather was not cooperating. 20 degrees and snowing a bit, not fun shooting weather, but I figured I would shot the pistol until it malfunctioned. I figured I would be back inside drinking coffee in no time.

So out in the cold I went.....

100 rounds down range....no malfunctions.

200 rounds down range....no malfunctions.

300 rounds down range....no malfunctions.

The little pistol never failed to function, and I gave out because of the cold before the pistol did.

So far the little SNS has 360 rounds and zero malfunctions. I am not going to clean the pistol, (other than wipe off the outside with a rag) until I experience malfunctions.

So far I am impressed with the gun. It's not a target gun, and the safety's are insane, but it works.

The Good:

Cheap.

Shoots well.

Cheap.

The Bad:

Too many safety's

Bad sights

Heavy

IMG_4151.jpg

IMG_4150.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend here shoots one of those with the longer barrel installed. He punches nice holes in the target, its pretty consistent and accurate, considering that he is using the cheapest ammo out there and shooting 20-30 feet or so, still it hits a dime sized target at that range if the shooter can do it.

I dunno why you call it a SNS, its just a 22 plinker not really a zip gun. Unless desperate or stupid, what criminal is going to buy a huge .22, even a cheap one, when other cheap guns can be had that are smaller, more potent, etc?

These are fine guns, and great for a new shooter to learn pistol shooting with, great for a youngster or the like. Esp with the longer barrel, which gives the extra sight radius to help a novice to shoot well. Its not a competition target gun, and its not a great gangster piece, but its a mighty fine plinker.

As for the sights, we rednecked his with some white-out on the front sight so you can see it. As for the weight, I actually LIKE heavy guns, they are much easier to keep on target as the inertia helps reduce recoil, and even a .22 has enough recoil to pull it off target slightly. The thing I would say about this piece, although yours may be different, is that the one my friend uses has a terrible trigger that makes good shooting a bit more difficult, its long and heavy on the pull (compared to a target pistol, even a $300 one).

Edited by Jonnin

+1 for the HP22. I also bought mine on impulse, the same day I bought my SP101. It has turned out to be a fun little plinker and has always gone bang. I don't even care much if it's accurate or not, I just keep it around as a noisemaker.

I have got one and did a review of it somewhere on here. I have made the modifications to it to where it does function like any other. Now the first time out it did malfunction. But the gun shop took it back and gave me another. This one has been doing well with the exception of our last range visit just over a month ago. It had so many FTF and FTE that I almost just threw it at the target.

BUT!!!

When I got it home and took a better look and was working the slide I groaned. It appears that I made a newbie mistake upon last cleaning and did not oil the slide. The slide was hard to work. So I broke it back down and recleaned it and this time OILED the slide. (i have been told that model loves oil) The slide is now working nice and smooth and not hitching and catching like it was doing at the range. I have been itching to take it back to the range to test it out, but wife/life has been to busy to take me.

... As for the sights, ...

I thought I wanted the blued model out of military tradition. I fired a borrowed .22 blue target pistol at a black target at my carry class. I opted for the brushed nickel so I could see the sights.

... As for the weight, I actually LIKE heavy guns, they are much easier to keep on target as the inertia helps reduce recoil, and even a .22 has enough recoil to pull it off target slightly. ...

I agree on the weight. Not so heavy that I think it will be a problem for concealed carry. Doesn't feel like a cap gun and helps with accuracy.

Guest mosinon

I've got one and it works for me. Pretty fun and fairly accurate. I know they get a bad rap but for the price you pay it isn't a bad deal if you're just looking for something fun.

Guest Xring04

Well, I'm at 600 rounds, and the little pistol has been perfect. The action is getting a bit gritty from the dirty ammo and not being cleaned, but so far so good. I did have one failure, but it was ammo related. So far it keeps on keeping on.

I've got one and it works for me. Pretty fun and fairly accurate. I know they get a bad rap but for the price you pay it isn't a bad deal if you're just looking for something fun.

I've shot Mosey's and it was just fine, shot better than I can maximize (which to be fair I can say about all guns, sigh)...

WHAT's/WHERE's the shop in downtown Sevierville?

- OS

I've shot Mosey's and it was just fine, shot better than I can maximize (which to be fair I can say about all guns, sigh)...

WHAT's/WHERE's the shop in downtown Sevierville?

- OS

One block from the Golden Carat at the intersection of Dolly Parton Parkway.I bought the same gun from the same shop only in nickel.I think the store is simply called the Gunsmith.The gun is great but mine prefers CCI Mini Mags.