Have made the wife mad.

My wife is wanting to go to the Zoo Lights deal at the Memphis Zoo and go ice skating and all that good stuff but I explained I can't carry in there and just don't want to go at night. I'm not really familiar with the area but just how bad is that area? I normally try to stay away from anywhere that I can't carry but she is really wanting to go.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guy N. Cognito

The Memphis zoo isn't in the best part of town, but it's not exactly the ghetto either. Keep the wife happy and take her.

There's lots of ways to defend yourself, even without a gun. Pepper spray, knives, fighting skills and good old situational awareness can always serve as substitutes, and should often be considered even if you can carry a gun.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
Sometimes you just have to be the man of the house. My wife knows I won't go ANYWHERE I can't carry. Period. No compromise.

What about jury duty? :D.

Guest TennTitan

Like Cognito said, it's not too bad of an area, but it's always good to be prepared with pepper spray, or a knife. My wife and I take our kids there a couple times a year and i have always felt comfortable.

Guest RichieRich

We did the Zoo Lights this weekend. I had ASSumed from what others have said that the Zoo would be properly posted, and did not carry (which made me a bit uncomfortable in that part of town, although the zoo crowd was just fine). The wife and I looked carefully, and saw no postings at all. Since this is private property and not part of the open Overton Park proper, I'm thinking I'd probably be okay carrying next time.

I carry just about everywhere I can, but I am not going to shortchange myself of places and events that don't allow carry.

Do what you need to do, be careful, be aware of your surroundings.

Sometimes you just have to be the man of the house. My wife knows I won't go ANYWHERE I can't carry. Period. No compromise.

I do for the most part. But sometimes I go places that I don't want to drive to. I also like to attend a sporting event every now and then. And if I get an unfair ticket I want to be able to enter the courthouse to defend myself. But I carry everywhere I am allowed.

The Memphis zoo isn't in the best part of town, but it's not exactly the ghetto either. Keep the wife happy and take her.

There's lots of ways to defend yourself, even without a gun. Pepper spray, knives, fighting skills and good old situational awareness can always serve as substitutes, and should often be considered even if you can carry a gun.

Good advice. It would probably hurt to land on my gun anyways because I'm not the best skater if one at all.

OP's age 24, DaddyO 56, OP still has 32 years of putting up with this woman before he even gets to DaddyO's age.

MPD is very good about security where visitors and tourist may vistit. The only time that you do not want to visit the Memphis Zoo is on the free tuesdays, but I think that the city stopped that after last years spring break when the heathens decended upon the place and behaved like they had no mommas.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
Glad you guys can tell when and where trouble will be, because I sure can't. That's why I always carry.

Didn't see where anyone claimed to be able to predict trouble. What I DID see is that many of us are 1)willing to take a measured amount of risk in order to enjoy certain events and 2)are capable of planning a defense strategy that doesn't always include a firearm.

You're old enough to remember a time prior to 1996, when the average citizen in TN wasn't allowed to carry a firearm. How did you function then?

Glad you guys can tell when and where trouble will be, because I sure can't. That's why I always carry.

Never said that. I'm just not going to stop living my life because I can't carry. I'm not going to live in fear. I like to go watch high school football, I'm not going to stop just because I can't carry there. I like to do alot of things that won't allow me to carry, I guess I'll just have to risk it at those times. Live and let live....

i carry my G-27 iwb everytime im at the memphis zoo, i have never seen a sign saying i cant.....i worked there in high school trust me the security there would not say anything to you they are to worried about the kids swimming in the bleach pond at the main gate anyway hahahaha

Didn't see where anyone claimed to be able to predict trouble. What I DID see is that many of us are 1)willing to take a measured amount of risk in order to enjoy certain events and 2)are capable of planning a defense strategy that doesn't always include a firearm.

You're old enough to remember a time prior to 1996, when the average citizen in TN wasn't allowed to carry a firearm. How did you function then?

The answer is pretty simple; simple enough that you could have figured it out yourself. I didn't even become aware of the risks of being unarmed until 2-3 years ago. In other words, I was a sheep. When I finally gained situational awareness, and realized my vulnerability as well as that of my family, I started making some conscious decisions about personal safety. Not going into places where I have to be unarmed is one of those decisions.

Of course, I have to make some counter decisions, like going to work (where I cannot carry), and going to the post office from time to time, but I won't break the law. I just avoid the places that prohibit carry if at all possible. I refuse to give my business to anyone who willfully removes my constitutional rights before I can enter their property.