Flashlight Glove.

My Glock 21 has a rail but I really don't want to put any lights or lasers on it, besides if you have a light mounted on your handgun you would have to point it at everything you wanted to see in the house and I don't want that also. Holding a light in the left hand makes it almost impossible to get a two handed grip on my handgun which I prefer over a one handed grip. So, last night I took a sports glove I had and cut a shell holder out of an elastic shell holder for a 12 guage stock, it was over streached anyway and the shells kept falling out, and sewed them together to make a flashlight glove. I think it works pretty good, I can have a two handed grip and I can light up someone I may not wish to point a handgun at. This is not a new invention but I haven't seen them advertized in any gun magizine or seen any at any gun store i've been to. Has anyone here ever seen or had a flashlight glove? This small LED flashlight I have is not a cheapo and really lights up an area well.

Sorry for the poor quality photo, my camera doesn't take close ups very well.

FlashlightGlove2.jpg

Flashlightglove1.jpg

Edited by K191145
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I unloaded my Glock and walked around in my side yard practicing a handgun defensive situation, the flashlight glove works great. It's not a sharp beam like a Maglite but it really lights up the area, enough to get a sight picture with your front and rear sight. I'm going to make a better one later, with a better glove and a light with a sharper beam.

I carry a light on my duty Glock and also have a light on my rifle. We were trained the light goes where you aim. You aren't looking another direction while aimed at another room while clearing. Not trying to tell you what to do just passing it along. But good thinking outside the box.

That would be nice to have a pressure switch on the palm, how do you turn on and off? looks good tho

It would be nice to have a pressure switch without using your gun hand to turn it on or off, and it's another step to put the glove on if you hear something go bump in the night. I will keep the light always in the glove and use it for anything I need a light for. I want to make a better one, this one is kind of a prototype I guess.

I carry a light on my duty Glock and also have a light on my rifle. We were trained the light goes where you aim. You aren't looking another direction while aimed at another room while clearing. Not trying to tell you what to do just passing it along. But good thinking outside the box.

I just thought I would like to have the option of pointing the light without having to point my weapon in the same direction. I practiced that a little outside, it didn't take too long to get my grip and sight picture back. I guess a LEO is trained never to take his eyes off the weapon when clearing a house.

If someone breaks into your home in the middle of the night, you gonna have time to put that on?

My thoughts. And even if you do have time, are you going to be aware enough in the halfway asleep state to remember to put it on?

How do you train yourself to remember? Set alarms in the middle of the night to wake yourself up and and put it on...I'm not making fun but just asking and bringing up a point. That being said, pretty cool idea.

My thoughts. And even if you do have time, are you going to be aware enough in the halfway asleep state to remember to put it on?

How do you train yourself to remember? Set alarms in the middle of the night to wake yourself up and and put it on...I'm not making fun but just asking and bringing up a point. That being said, pretty cool idea.

Well every situation is different, I may not have time or remember to put it on if I need my handgun fast but I do believe they heavy doors and locks I have, there will be alot of noise and commotion if someone breaks in. The glove would be an item where you have a second or two. The glove I used is spandex and it slips on pretty fast, maybe one could be made that isn't so much of a glove but a more simple slip on strap of some sort. One thing I do know, the glove is more stable and less awkward than trying to hold a light between your fingers and keep a two handed grip on your handgun, I never found that perfect way, or perfect light. You make a good point about practicing at night but I don't have to set alarms since I get up at least two times in the middle of the night.

Guest Lester Weevils
If someone breaks into your home in the middle of the night, you gonna have time to put that on?

It would probably be as easy to remember to grab the glove as it would be to grab a flashlight? If there wasn't time to put on the glove, seems it could still be operated as a flashlight?

It would probably be as easy to remember to grab the glove as it would be to grab a flashlight? If there wasn't time to put on the glove, seems it could still be operated as a flashlight?

It wouldn't have to be a glove, just a slip on elastic strap and a smaller light would be nice. I do know that I can keep a strong two handed grip on my handgun with a good light pointed in the same direction. I like not having to hold an object in my left hand if checking something out.

Y'know, he could always just get himself one of those miner's helmets... You know , the ones with the light on the front?

It'd be a helluva lot easier to put on, and he'd have both hands free to do whatever he wanted.

... of course, it's gonna suck when the B.G. shoots the light out. :-\

It wouldn't have to be a glove, just a slip on elastic strap and a smaller light would be nice. I do know that I can keep a strong two handed grip on my handgun with a good light pointed in the same direction. I like not having to hold an object in my left hand if checking something out.

Mounted pistol lights allow you to do the same thing. You seem to want to hold onto your pistol with both hands. A good thing. But also want to have a light you can see with. Also a good thing. Why dick around with a glove?

Nintendo tried the power glove and it sucked dick. Now your trying this.

It's a solution to a problem that has already been solved. Several times. Go try a pistol light. Do some low light training with it. Preferably professionally instructed training over dicking around at the range.

You will see the light. :tough:

Ba-dum tish...

Some company came out with a thing that slipped over your hand and rotated, etc and one of my old instructors got it as a prototype after we played with it for 8 hours we all came to one conclusion...it pretty much blew ass.

Low-light training class sounds like a good option. The glove thing just doesn't sound that plausible to me as a good SD accessory.

Mounted pistol lights allow you to do the same thing. You seem to want to hold onto your pistol with both hands. A good thing. But also want to have a light you can see with. Also a good thing. Why dick around with a glove?

Nintendo tried the power glove and it sucked dick. Now your trying this.

It's a solution to a problem that has already been solved. Several times. Go try a pistol light. Do some low light training with it. Preferably professionally instructed training over dicking around at the range.

You will see the light. :tough:

Ba-dum tish...

I wouldn't want to have to point my pistol at a family member to see who's comming down the hall, that's really my only problem with pistol lights. Anyway, it is just an idea i'm trying out, it does work to a degree.

Well, dang. Somebody call Clint Smith and tell him the flashlight debate is over......and he lost!!!!

Thanks for mentioning Clint Smith, I haven't read anything about him but I will read some articals now. Google is great. Sometimes.

Tactical Flashlight Retention Device, Tactical Storage Review

From the artical:

This allows the user to have virtually the full use of their support hand while still retaining their flashlight in a relatively out of the way position.

This was my idea about a light attached to the back of a glove. It doesn't have to be as cumbersom as the one I threw together.

Edited by K191145
I wouldn't want to have to point my pistol at a family member to see who's comming down the hall, that's really my only problem with pistol lights. Anyway, it is just an idea i'm trying out, it does work to a degree.

You don't automatically shoot the person you see. Once identified you have the option of moving your weapon as to not muzzle the non threat. You had reasonable suspicion to have the pistol out so why not have it together with more intuitive controls?

Besides you shouldn't use the light in constant on anyways if there's a threat. You only use it in momentary bursts to ID threat or non threat then shut it off. A constant light is a big target to an actual threat.

Mike

Guest Lester Weevils
Y'know, he could always just get himself one of those miner's helmets... You know , the ones with the light on the front?

It'd be a helluva lot easier to put on, and he'd have both hands free to do whatever he wanted.

... of course, it's gonna suck when the B.G. shoots the light out. :-\

I was viewing the flashlight glove idea as a general idea more than as a specific night-time house clearing tool. Consider the number of times you might have to use both hands with a flashlight held in yer teeth, compared to the number of times a civilian might have to sweep the house for intruders at 3 am. :bow:

A flashlight hand strap or glove of some kind could come in generally useful, but the headlamp is most generally useful to me.

As my eyes get weaker with age I use 1 watt or better 3 watt LED headlamps routinely every day. Anytime I need to work on something close or needs better lighting. Wood work, reloading, electronic work. Or sometimes ordinary reading. A headlamp is just the thing in a power failure or if I have to go back in the woods after dark to fetch a howling hound before he annoys the neighbors too much. Outside in the dark the ideal combination is a headlight and a really bright hand light, but if I could only have one, would pick the headlight.

Clearing a house, a headlight would have the obvious disadvantage Jamie mentions. OTOH, if you are holding a hand light aiming a pistol at a bad guy, or if you have a light mounted to the gun aimed at the bad guy, then if the bad guy shoots at yer flashlight he's gonna hit about the same spot that he would hit if he shoots at a headlight?

I suppose a headlight would need some kind of easy hands-free on-off momentary switch to be practical in a gun fight. A momentary on-off bite switch would be exquisitely nerdy. :)

Me knowing nothing of the proper way to clear a house, I'd make a dumb guess that any kind of light ought to be turned off more often than it is turned on?

All that said-- I've considered a light on a pistol not high on the list of priorities. Seemed more a disadvantage than advantage. But for a bed side gun, have just been keeping the carry gun with night sights sitting there.

Maybe it would be better to mount a light to one of the beretta 92's or whatever, and use it as a dedicated bedside gun.

Edited by Lester Weevils