G27 Question

SHARPPOINT

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

conversion barrel, extractor, i THINK ejector (they may be the same, but I'm pretty sure they are different) and of course mags. However, most report decent reliability with just a bbl swap but I wouldn't trust it for SD, but range use would be fine.

If you can find someone to show you how it is done, the Glock extractor is one of the easiest to change out. No tools necessary just use the Glock disassembly tool or a 1/8 inch punch. Remove the plastic recoil shield from the back of the slide. Pull out the spring and bearing which push against the extractor. Turn the slide upside down and push in the safety button ( a steel spring loaded button) and pull the extractor out the side of the slide. When you reassemble make sure the spring and bearing are turned so that the steel end is against the extractor and the plastic end is against the plastic recoil shield.

Is the extractor somthing that I can change myself? I have put all ext. parts on all my Glocks myself. Range use is all I was looking to do.. so would I still have to change the extractor?

Thanks for your input.

I've had both a G22 and a G23 and used only the Lone Wolf Barrel and a 9mm magazine and shot hundreds of rounds with no problems whatsoever. I did not change out any other parts. The brass seems to go in about ten different directions, but the gun shoots just fine for plinking. In fact, I've read on other forums where some folks just use the .40 magazine, it's just not quite as reliable feeding as the 9mm magazines. Get yourself a LWD barrel and a G17/19/26 magazine and shoot to your hearts content! It's the best of both worlds. The 9mm for target shooting and .40 for SD.

Guest gw2and4
Is the extractor somthing that I can change myself? I have put all ext. parts on all my Glocks myself. Range use is all I was looking to do.. so would I still have to change the extractor?

Thanks for your input.

If you want 99+% reliability, change the extractor, ejector housing and mags along with the conversion barrel. Just make sure you get the correct parts for the application.

Glock doesn't recommend the taking down of a pistol beyond a basic field strip by anyone other than one of their certified Armorers. Doesn't mean it can't be done successfully by an adventurous person who's mechanically-inclined... Your weapon; your choice. I personally decided to become a Glock Armorer so I could be 100% confident to work on my own carry guns and not have to pay someone to do it for me.

If all you want is to stand in a range lane and shoot 9mm instead of .40--I've had good luck doing that with just a barrel and mag change. My 23 feeds and ejects 9mm ammo just fine without the extractor and ejector swap. If I were planning to do it a lot though, I'd either swap the parts or just get a 19.

YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone 4

Get Customize Repair Maintain Your GLOCK Pistol This will tell you how to do everything to your Glock you may want to do it besides grip reductions. You can convert your 40 Glock to a 9mm by getting a 9mm conversion barrel (not the same thing as a straight 9mm barrel due to slide barrel hole size etc.). If you want to change mags, extractor, recoil spring -that is up to you for your intended purpose. You do not need to go to Glock Armorers course to completely disassemble and mod your Glock unless you have no mechanical ability or mechanical curiosity. The Glock is the simplest gun of any type, long or short, that I have come across. I suppose there is some warranty or legal mumbo jumbo but the Glock is way easier to completely disassemble than a clothes dryer, bicycle, carburator, toaster, etc.

I've had both a G22 and a G23 and used only the Lone Wolf Barrel and a 9mm magazine and shot hundreds of rounds with no problems whatsoever. I did not change out any other parts.

I have had the same results from my G22 and G23. Try this first.

The extractor is the part that grips the case. The ejector has a rod that comes in contact with the case to help fling it out. The ejector and extracto are different between 9mm and .40 glocks. No need to change them. I had a G23 that was 100% reliable when converted with just a barrel. My G35 is about 99% reliable. I got a G34 just because it was annoying enough to deal with in competition and you can never have too many Glocks.

Like someone else said the ejector is the same on every model. The extractor is different but not important for range use to be worth switching. I would not switch the extractor without switching back to the shorter 40 one with out test firing it before leaving the range. In general 9mm barrels only dropped in 40's are 99% reliable.

Guest gw2and4
Like someone else said the ejector is the same on every model.

This isn't correct. There are different ejector angles (and thus different trigger housings) for different calibers, depending on the base diameter of the casing. Since the 9mm base diameter is smaller than a .40, the ejector bends inward slightly. The .40 ejector is straight since the casing diameter is larger. And the .45ACP has quite a pronounced bend to it. So much so that many who are used to seeing only the straight ejectors wonder whether or not the part is damaged. See here for an exploded diagram and parts list.

The extractor is different but not important for range use to be worth switching. I would not switch the extractor without switching back to the shorter 40 one with out test firing it before leaving the range. In general 9mm barrels only dropped in 40's are 99% reliable.

I agree with these statements since it's not really worth the trouble to swap the trigger/ejector housing or other internal parts just for range use. Whatever parts you do swap, it's best to put the originals back when you're done and test fire before leaving the range--especially if it's a carry or home defense gun.

I've had really great luck with my model 23 when dropping in a LWD conversion barrel and using model 19 9mm magazines. No other parts swaps necessary for me. I've put at least 500 rounds downrange with the conversion barrel, many on the clock at IDPA out at MCTS. No problems to speak of. I really don't run any conversions anymore though now that I have a model 34 for IDPA use... Will probably end up selling my conversion barrel in the near future.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.