Guest Big-A

Guest REDDOG79

I have been looking at pocket 380s for a while and while at a gunshop they let me compare the TCP LCP Keltec and a Kahr side by side. I have to admit I thought I was wanting an LCP but I really like the Kel tec with the extended mag base as it fits my hand better. The Kahr is really nice but I can't justify the price difference even if I did like the sights better. Its still a toss up at this point as I haven't made my mind up yet

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been looking at pocket 380s for a while and while at a gunshop they let me compare the TCP LCP Keltec and a Kahr side by side. I have to admit I thought I was wanting an LCP but I really like the Kel tec with the extended mag base as it fits my hand better. The Kahr is really nice but I can't justify the price difference even if I did like the sights better. Its still a toss up at this point as I haven't made my mind up yet

Check the triggers, the khars have a better one IMO than the other brands. You can get a pinky finger extension for nearly any gun, its a magazine thing not a gun thing, and you can buy extensions to add to a mag floor plate.

If you like a 1911, you will LOVE the Sig238. It is basically a minature 1911.

If you like ultra-light, DA and don't mind a little more recoil, the Ruger LCP is the one.

I highly recommend either one,,,both are excellent weapons,,,,,just pick the one that suits you best.

If you like a 1911, you will LOVE the Sig238. It is basically a minature 1911.

If you like ultra-light, DA and don't mind a little more recoil, the Ruger LCP is the one.

I highly recommend either one,,,both are excellent weapons,,,,,just pick the one that suits you best.

I love the looks of the Sig, but just can't wrap my head around cocked and locked pocket carry. I've seen too many loyal Sig owners to think it's a problem, but it makes me feel a little funny. Got no problem carrying a holstered 1911 that way.

The LCP and Kel-Tec are essentially the same gun, minus a little better finish and manual slide lock. I've owned both and didn't have issues with either one. Save your $$ and get the Kel-Tec...spend the extra on ammo or training.

On the other hand, my Diamondback was nothing but a headache. Numerous problems (FTF,FTE, trigger failed to reset multiple times) with different ammo, mags, etc. Sent it to the factory "nothing is wrong", but they "cleaned it up"...next range trip, same problems. They also promised me a mag to make up for it being a total POS and never did, so not thrilled with their customer service either...

Guest Roadkill Bill

We first bought the Kel-Tec P3AT. It jammed with every brand of ammo we tried. After 500 rounds we gave up. Junk.

Then we got a Ruger LCP. Haven't tried as many types of ammo as we did the Kel-Tec, but it has fired everything so far.

Both are punishing to shoot.

One of the girls who works at the range got the new Sig .380 and she says it is a joy to shoot. Looks like the old Colt Mustang.

My first choice: S&W 638 Airweight. Easy to shoot, never jams, accurate, and .38 ammo is cheaper and easier to find than .380.

When the Diamond back did work it felt great, i just don't feel comfortable shooting something that has some type of malfunction every magazine i run through it...

Mine went back 4 times and replaced once.. They ended up refunding my money. Stay away from this one.. more like run away. lol

I love the looks of the Sig, but just can't wrap my head around cocked and locked pocket carry. I've seen too many loyal Sig owners to think it's a problem, but it makes me feel a little funny. Got no problem carrying a holstered 1911 that way.

The great thing about a 1911 is you can safety-off, cock as you draw instead. Takes a bit of practice, but its not hard to learn this method. The sig hammer is a little stout and need to be pulled very far back to do this, and its half-cock is almost at the hammer down mark so it does not help much to half cock it. I personally think this is more risky than cocked & locked: don't start the hammer back move until the gun is pointed safely at the target in case it slips...

The safety takes a good amount of force to move. More than the trigger takes to fire, at a rough guess, or as much, a good 3 pounds of force at a rough guess. Its not going to slip off in your pocket unless worn out or modified. Its as likely to go off as the LCP is to have its trigger pulled from inside your pocket.

All I can say, is if it makes you nervous, is to pick one up at a store & test out the hammer and the safety to see how difficult they are. IMO the gun is very safe using either approach and its only drawbacks are 1) the price tag and 2) they can be a little strange until broken in, about 300 rounds before mine smoothed out and functioned 100%.

The great thing about a 1911 is you can safety-off, cock as you draw instead. Takes a bit of practice, but its not hard to learn this method. The sig hammer is a little stout and need to be pulled very far back to do this, and its half-cock is almost at the hammer down mark so it does not help much to half cock it. I personally think this is more risky than cocked & locked: don't start the hammer back move until the gun is pointed safely at the target in case it slips...

The safety takes a good amount of force to move. More than the trigger takes to fire, at a rough guess, or as much, a good 3 pounds of force at a rough guess. Its not going to slip off in your pocket unless worn out or modified. Its as likely to go off as the LCP is to have its trigger pulled from inside your pocket.

All I can say, is if it makes you nervous, is to pick one up at a store & test out the hammer and the safety to see how difficult they are. IMO the gun is very safe using either approach and its only drawbacks are 1) the price tag and 2) they can be a little strange until broken in, about 300 rounds before mine smoothed out and functioned 100%.

I suppose I would feel better about it if I actually fondled it. I'm not a big fan of manual safeties on handguns to begin with. With that said, I'm sure I would like the gun. I'm pretty big on quality.

I suppose I would feel better about it if I actually fondled it. I'm not a big fan of manual safeties on handguns to begin with. With that said, I'm sure I would like the gun. I'm pretty big on quality.

If you talk nice, I'll let you fondle my 238. After you do, I know you'll love it. I'm not big on safeties, either, but this one is very positive to engage and disengage and with it engaged I'm confident to carry it cocked and locked in my pocket.

Guest Pvt.Joker

Personally, I like my Russian Makarov .380 (I also had an East German 9x18mak that I carried for a while). Good solid gun, built like a tank. It depends on what you like in a small carry gun. Now, a Colt Mustang would be great too, of course. But the Mak has a decocker, and is about half the price of the Colt but also built of steel. Something to consider.

If you talk nice, I'll let you fondle my 238. After you do, I know you'll love it. I'm not big on safeties, either, but this one is very positive to engage and disengage and with it engaged I'm confident to carry it cocked and locked in my pocket.

I figure that would just make me go out and buy one :shrug:. I'm gonna have to sign up for therapy before I fondle any more guns. That, or do a room addition on my safe :)

I just had my Taurus TCP out to shoot some at Gunny's this afternoon. I've got about 180 rounds thru it now. Working like a champ. I did have the slide lock back once today before the magazine was empty, but that was with a very light reload... so light that it just kind of dropped the brass at my feet. Having the brass right there nearby was nice, but probably not as much powder as I should be loading. The TCP usually kicks the brass straight back over my head(factory rounds) . I had some heavier reloads that ejected just like factory ammo. I'm loading Berry's 100 gr RN and about 3.2gr of Win 231 makes a nice shooting load. No FTF or FTE. Will probably put another 100 rounds thru it later in the week.

I just had my Taurus TCP out to shoot some at Gunny's this afternoon. I've got about 180 rounds thru it now. Working like a champ.

Have you fired an LCP? I'm reading that the TCP has a better (shorter) trigger pull than the LCP. Can you verify? I traded away my (perfectly reliable) LCP and I can't find anything I like better. Mainly I didn't like the trigger. I'm considering a TCP or an LCR...

Ooops.... that 3.2gr load I gave was for the 95gr JHP. The Berry's 100gr RN was a 2.5gr of Win 231. Just loaded some more.

JReedEsq.... I have not fired an LCP, but have pulled the trigger a couple of times. I found the TCP trigger to be much more to my liking. It's considerably lighter pull. Perhaps a bit shorter too, but I won't say for sure without trying them side by side. I did have a KelTec and my TCP side by side. A good friend has the 3PAT, and when he pulled the trigger on my TCP, he was amazed how much lighter it was. I know there is more room in the trigger guard on the TCP, and it doesn't bite my trigger finger when I shoot it.