the "green fairy" has a mean kick!!

Guest buttonhook

Guest buttonhook

I tried absinthe last night.....I should have stopped at 5....I'm feeling it this morning. I have to say it made me feel funny not really drunk but different, hard to explain. But I would drink it again. It is cool watching it change colors in the glass when mixed with water/sugar. You must like the BLACK jelly beans if you dont you will not like the taste.

Cost too much $$$$ ($40-50 a pint) to drink all the time but it is christmas and I can say I've done it now :ugh:

Anyone else ever had it?

Edited by buttonhook
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

I tried some while abroad, didn't care for the taste. Isn't the legal Absinthe available in the states without wormwood? Something like that. It doesn't have the same effects as real Absinthe.

• Moderators

For a long time you couldn't get actual absinthe in the US. Products like Absente that were distilled using petite wormwood were as close as you could legally get, though some European firms would ship the real thing to the US. regulations changed in Oct. 2007 and you can now buy absinthe that has been distilled using grande wormwood as long as it contains less than 10ppm of thujone.

Guest buttonhook

it def. had wormwood in it (imported from france and it listed wormwood and about 6 other things in it).....the taste is def. something you either like or dont......I do, so.... it's just not real easy to find and the store doesn't stock alot of it. they had 3 bottles. one of each brand. a fifth is like $90+ but if for those who havn't tried it you should. My nose is still numb this morning :ugh: and I was never "drunk" in five hours I had 5 drinks, def. could feel the effects within 20 min of the first one.

Edited by buttonhook

As soon as I saw the title my first thought was of absinthe. I have never had the real deal. I have had the cheap stuff that lacked thujone. I understand there are some companies that will ship the real deal in, and I had a friend that research and found one that had some of the strongest you could get shipped in. He said he saw a teddy bear get up and walk across the floor.

Guest bkelm18
For a long time you couldn't get actual absinthe in the US. Products like Absente that were distilled using petite wormwood were as close as you could legally get, though some European firms would ship the real thing to the US. regulations changed in Oct. 2007 and you can now buy absinthe that has been distilled using grande wormwood as long as it contains less than 10ppm of thujone.

Yes I know that but I just thought I read that the stuff available in the US wasn't as potent as the foreign stuff.

Guest buttonhook

it's not!! but it still gives you the "weird" feeling. you can get the "real" imported stuff online but it "might" not make it through customs. the us version limits the thujone levels to lower level. but there is still something in it. it def. wasn't a normal buzz...can't really explain it. of course 138 proof is going to do something

Guest buttonhook

I dont remember I know it was french and was around $40 a pint/ .375L. I remember the only fifth they had being around $90. it was not labled absente it was labled absinthe and a bunch of other french things. it was 68%/136 proof, had a wormwood warning on the back of it, and it was sealed with a cork??? ring any bells

Edited by buttonhook
Guest Plainsman

I always wondered why there were advertisements for this stuff in Guns and Ammo magazine. Never seemed to fit in with firearms to well in my opinion. Looks like their marketing campaign is working though...

I dunno. I do not believe you can buy authentic Absinthe in TN. It is not available through any wholesaler in this state.

We sell a version of it. It is something like 140 proof. No doubt if you drink it you will feel some effects, but not from any wormwood.

They use southern wormwood in Absinthe sold here. You are not going to cut your ear off from drinking it.

Tastes like licorice and kicks like a mule. As far as I am concerned it is the worst alcohol I have ever tasted. I really don't know why anyone would want to drink it.

Maybe I am wrong but I believe what I posted to be true.

Edited by Mike.357
Guest buttonhook
I dunno. I do not believe you can buy authentic Absinthe in TN. It is not available through any wholesaler in this state.

We sell a version of it. It is something like 140 proof. No doubt if you drink it you will feel some effects, but not from any wormwood.

They use southern wormwood in Absinthe sold here. You are not going to cut your ear off from drinking it.

Tastes like licorice and kicks like a mule. As far as I am concerned it is the worst alcohol I have ever tasted. I really don't know why anyone would want to drink it.

Maybe I am wrong but I believe what I posted to be true.

I agree that you will not cut off your ear or see crap....but I can tell you the stuff i drunk did something else beside just getting me drunk(which I never did get). I didn't see anything but I def. had a weird feeling kind of like a super alert, warm fuzzy feeling. Nothing really super extreme or anything but def. something. my lips went numb after one drink......weird. I dont know what brands you sell but I do know it did something else...maybe because of other things in it and I'm sure it's not like the stuff in europe(i Wasn't exspecting it) but it did have a cool buzz to it. Also my nose was still tingly the next morning and I didn't drink anything else

Edited by buttonhook
Guest buttonhook

BTW....LUCID is the brand that seems to get the best reviews but it was not what I had. it was made by Elie Arnaud Denoix and it doesn't get near as good of a review

Edited by buttonhook