Ithaca Hawkens

I was given a black powder muzzle loader that belonged to my father. The only indications of the maker is the letter " I " stamped on the barrel. It is a 50 cal. Made in Italy. It has an octagon barrel that is chrome lined. Adjustable sights. Also stamped on the barrel, "instruction manual available from Investarm Spa 25050 Marcheno Italy". The serial #235439.

I was wondering if someone could educate me about this gun. What is it worth? I would like to sale it or trade it for a gun I'd rather have. It's a very handsome gun, but I just don't have a use for it. My father bought it from someone he worked with and there is no sentimental value in it for me.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a Investarms Hawken muzzle loader. I have one I bought new back in the late 80's. I paid $150.00 back then. I bought at Poindexters Bait Shop In Gallatin, TN. I have a owners manual. If you need a copy of it, I can e mail you a copy. Mine has a rubber recoil pad on it, 1 in 48 inch twist barrel. It shoots good. Look on Cabela's web site. Cabela's salles their brand. But it is a Investarms . gearyr

Edited by gearyr
add picture

I have been trying to post a picture of mine on here. I am not having any luck. I really don't know what it is worth. But most side lock muzzel loaders aren't bringing a lot of money any more. Since the inline's have took over. You might try Gun Broker.com and see if any one has one on there for sale. Sorry, gearyrHawken.jpg

Edited by gearyr
add picture
How did the brand "Ithaca" get into this discussion?

Because my father who knew less than I did had mentioned to me that he thought it was an Ithaca made gun. Knowing him, bless his good as gold heart, he probably paid through the nose for it. He's the type that goes to a car dealer and pays full sticker. He is also the type that gives his shirt off his back to anyone in need. Gotta love him. :lol:

Try this link to Cabela's. This is their brand. It is the same as my Investarms Hawken. But they want $499.99 for it. That is way to much for a side lock. Hope this helps. gearyr

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Black-Powder/Traditional-Rifles-Shotguns%7C/pc/104792580/c/104701680/sc/104641380/Cabelas-Sporterized-Right-Hand-Hawken-Hunter-Rifle/727320.uts?WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104792580%3Bcat104701680%3Bcat104641380

Edited by gearyr
more info

I bought a Cabela's Carbine like the one in the link except a little shorter barrel a few weeks ago for 150.00 . It came with Pyrodex powder , powder flask , leather sling and bullets. Same rubber pad and black trim. I bought it because it was 58 cal. and I didn't have one. It has a capital I with a squre around the I . Made by Investarms for Cabela's .

The guy had priced it to me before doing any checking on its worth . When he brought it by he said he had a buyer for 200.00 but would honor his word of 150.00 . He could have been just saying that but it was a friend and he has always been straight with me in the past . I believe he was telling the truth and had found someone else that was looking for one.

It is a buyers market and I agree that looking on Gunbrokers is a good idea of what something is bringing. You just have to weed out the one that are priced high and no one ever bids on it.

The problem with selling these particular Investarm Muzzleloaders, is that they're neither one thing or another. They're to far away from being 'historically correct' for the traditional sidelock shooter & the modern hunter is more interestd in an inline.

It's a shame really, because they are actually a fantastic piece. I own 3 Investarms rifles (Lyman Great Plains .54/.50 caplock, Great Plains flintlock .50 & a 'Hawken' like yours)

Value wise, $150 is about right if the bore is perfect. The only thing thatever really detracts from muzzleloadres like this is that people buy them as a first frontstuffer & don't really know about te ins & outs of cleaning one properly. Especially if Pyrodex/777 has been used, pitting of the bore can be a real problem (incedentally, the barrel is NOT chrome lined) If the bore is 'dark' or pitted the value is vastly reduced. If pitting is very bad, or if the barrel has been 'ringed' by either short starting a ball/bullet or rusted out by being left loaded with pyro for too long, it's basically worthless.

If you're wanting to sell it, you really need to know the condition of the bore. Put an oil-dampened (NOT SATURATED) patch on a cleaning jag & run it down the full length of the bore & back out. It should glide down & back very easily & feel silky smooth. If there are any rough, tight or loose spots or any snagging, you'll need to drop a bore light down & see what's going on. 99% of the time it'll just be a little surface rust that will remove easily with a bit of elbow grease & not harm anything.

Unless you're really needing the money, your best bet would be to keep it & shoot it! Muzzleloaders are a lot of fun & filthy-cheap to shoot. If you stick with patched roundballs & leave the sabots (Yeuch!) alone yu can shoot for 3 or 4 cents per shot. You'd be very surprised at how accurate a rundball can be at 100yds!

If you do decide to shoot it, gimme a shout & I'll sort you out with some balls & patches & get you started with load info too.

Wait until the week before deer season if you decide to sell it. The value of 'cheap' frontstuffers goes up quite a bit then!