AK advice

Harold

Never owned a AK only shot a couple here and there. So don't really know a lot about them. A buddy of mine is selling off a few guns in his collection. He is selling a yugoslavian made ak47 and wants to know if i am interested. What does anybody know about Yugoslavian made ak's? Good quality? Bad quality? Any advice appreciated.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea there are many and i mean many types of yugo ak 47's, I myself am a fan of a few m70 variants. They work flawless like an ak should accuracy surpasses that of the wasr-10's in my opinion, but there not top of the line there about a 6.5-7 on a scale of 1-10 in my opinion on ak's There decently accurate and the ones built on the us receivers that I've fired have held up to my training test and 6'' target shots aren't that hard to achieve at 200 yards with decent ammo,so my advice would be go for it if the price is right, if you don't mind me asking what is the price

He was asking $600.00 for it.. Thoughts...

Is it a fixed or folding stock? Century-built or kit build?

Century guns almost always come with a new US-made barrel. Kit builds can have original Yugo barrels whose condition can range from new to sewer pipe. Neither are chrome lined.

It would have to be a nice one (excellent condition barrel, nice looking stock/hand guard, and excellent metal finish) for me to pay $600 in the current market.

If you haven't shot a Yugo yet maybe see if you can try it out before you buy. Yugo fixed stocks feel different from other European AKs. Yugos are typically built on RPK-type receivers with heavier barrels & grenade sights which equals a heavier rifle - which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I'm a complete AK noob (really, I mean it), but upon taking Mike's advice, for saving up for an Arsenal AK, over just plopping down the money for a Century, IO, or whatever I happened across a a gun shop - I'm really glad that I did. As someone mentioned - there aren't any horrid AKs, but at the same time, there are some really shoddy ones (that aren't worht half of what their asking prices are at the time). Upon really going through my Arsenal, I can honestly see why so many recommend saving a little more, and buying a quality firearm that's built to run a long, long time.

Arsenal +1

Guest no_masters

yeah I would save up your money and buy something better if you are serious about getting one. 600 seems a bit high unless its in great shape like mike_f said. I have about 600 in my maadi and love it since I made all the changes myself. If you could find a norinco I would consider one of those if the price was right.

600 for a yugo AK is too much. save some extra and get an Arsenal. if the price was closer to around 350. a pawn shop I freqent had a Yugo AK for over 400.

As has been has been said already the Yugos can be anywhere between poor and pretty good. $600 is IMO way out of line, if it is a standard gun. $350-400 would be more in line. And I disagree that there are no horrid AK's. Some of those made by IO, TNGUN were simply horrid. I am personally a Chicom whore. I think they are as close to the original Russian AK as you will find. Arsenal makes an excellent rifle.

For some reason people look on Gunbroker and compare their fair or poorly done rifle to a reworked gun and think their's should be worth the same because there's is a Yugo or Saiga or what have you. Truth is many AK's are just not worth a lot. However most of them, even most of the poorer models can be made to be very good. If you could get that Yugo for a really good deal, like $350-400 buy it. Then send it off to Rifle Dynamics and get back as good an AK as one can buy with the features you want on it and have less in it that an Arsenal. And any Fullerized gun is worth the money invested as you can always sell to contractors, who drool over any Fullerized gun.

Assuming you don't have any other 7.62 guns in the safe... have you considered going with an AK-74 in 5.45x39? Decent builds can be bought "new" for $550 (Interarms has good ones out now), or high end rifles from Arsenal and other builders for $750-800. A stock Saiga sporter can be had for $350. The Saiga 5.45x39 rifles seem to have no problem feeding reliably from the AK-74 30 round mags without any modification.

5.45x39 is super cheap, and easy to stock up on right now, $270 or so shipped for 2,160 rounds of surplus ammo at AIM. Quality bulgarian surplus mags can be had in new condition for $15 new, or $12 used. Recoil is nil, super fun to shoot.