c and r gun question

Guest buttonhook

Guest buttonhook

I'm looking at two different guns for my first c&r purchace

1. (mosin) should I look for the hex or round reciever? or does it matter?

2. (Wather P1) does anyone have one? how are they?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coldblackwind

On the mosin, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference in how they are going to shoot. Hex's are generally older than round receivers though, and slightly more desireable (although not really worth any more money). Really with mosins if you just want a shooter, they're all about the same (with the exception of finns vs russians). If you're really looking to collect, or get a more rare one you want to look at things like the manufacturer (ishveck, tula, etc, etc), check out the markings (ex-sniper, ex-dragoon, etc), older in my opinion is cooler (againt, generally not worth any more). Theres also things like do you want a 91/30, m44, m38, or one of the finnish guns. From the hex question I'm assuming 91/30. Theres a ton of different mosins from a collector standpoint, but from a shooter standpoint, theres only a handful really.

Oh, and I know absolutely nothing about the P1, beyond being familiar with what they are.

Guest buttonhook

yeah i was looking at the 91/30...i saw they were more i didn't know why or if the difference was that extreme. i really just want one to shoot so sometimes but i wanted a good on and for the $10 difference I didn't know what it was for.

Guest coldblackwind

The difference is that the hex was discontinued before WWII, and they went to round receiver. The result is that hex's are less common, and for the most part older (they ran together for a little while until they ran out of hex receivers). That's about the only real difference, for a shooter it makes very little difference if its a hex, or a round receiver.

If you want a made during WWII Mosin get a round receiver. If you want one used in WWII get a hex. The hex is a little cooler looking, might have fancier markings and some say stronger. I assume we're talking 91/30's here and you also asked about P1's and AIM Surplus has both. AIM is an excellent place to order from.

P1 is a reallly fun pistol and you cannot beat the price the have on them. Basically, it is an aluminum framed P-38 made after WWII and used by the Bundeswehr. If ordering one from AIM make sure you get hand pick or tell them you want one with the hex-bolt. In the pictures you can see a large pin in the frame just above the trigger between the take-down lever and slide release. These were added in later years to strengthen the alloy frame. I have one but did not get from AIM, bought off another member here before they became C&R.

Guest buttonhook

I have shot one but I would still be interested in that range.......can you shoot a 50 there? how long is it?

I think I will go for the hex receiver I kind of like the fact that it could have been used during WW2

and the p-1(hex bolt)?

and AIM is where I'm looking

Edited by buttonhook

Buttonhook,

Not to get off topic, but, a 50? That wasn't really on track with the original posting. What 50 are you asking about. You've peaked my interest, should you find a long range with that tolerance, let me know.

oh...what ever Mosin you get, make sure you get a second one. That way you don't have to share the one your shooting.

Guest coldblackwind

Careful though, mosins are addictive. I own 4 presently (hex 91/30, m38, m44, finnish m39), and I'm always looking at more. My buddy was up to 9 last I knew... They're a gateway gun too, went from there to a 24/47 mauser, now I have a nazi marked k98, enfield no4 mk1, and an enfield 2A, along with a tokarev, ppsh-41, pps43c, and a sterling...it gets out of control in a hurry....

Guest buttonhook
Buttonhook,

Not to get off topic, but, a 50? That wasn't really on track with the original posting. What 50 are you asking about. You've peaked my interest, should you find a long range with that tolerance, let me know.

oh...what ever Mosin you get, make sure you get a second one. That way you don't have to share the one your shooting.

Sorry my ADHD kicked in!! anytime someone says anything about a new range I have to ask if I can shoot a (barrett) 50 there because it's really hard to find any place around here to shoot it (my buddy has been clearing trees with it at his dads house :lol:) we're out of trees...even Oak ridge will not let you shoot it there.they have gthe distance but not the backstops (i guess)

and as far as the second one goes you know I might have to. I already have several ww1 long guns (mauser kar98, an 03, krag. etc) and I would like to start adding to the collection with ww2 guns

Edited by buttonhook

Short tutorial on:

Mosins: First made in the 1890's for the Czar of Russia. The Hexagonal receiver was made until 1936. The round receiver required less steel. At about the same time, barrels began to be chrome-lined. If you are looking for a shooter, get a chromed bore as ALL 7.62x54R surplus ammo should be assumed to be corrosive. The carbines (M38 and M44) are neat, but the recoil is punishing. The 91/30 is an excellent shooter, and parts and ammo are very cheap. If you want a tack-driver, look at the Finnish M39 which has an improved trigger, better sights, and a target-grade barrel.

P1: Excellent, high-quality pistol for the money. Magazine release is on the butt, which takes some getting used-to. Double-action trigger pull is long and a bit strong compared to newer designs. Newer dated ones have the hex bolt in the frame and a thicker slide for added strength. these are rated for NATO-spec ammo, which is slightly hotter than US factory standards, but not as hot as +P. I would avoid +P ammo. The recoil springs do wear out faster than most designs, so do yourself a favor and assume that you need to replace them. ($12.29 at Wolff Gun Springs)

PM me with contact info, maybe we can hookup this weekend or next. When I joined the range I was told " you could shoot anything". As far as length,I think its about 150 feet. This Saturday, weather pending, I may be going bigfoot hunting in coker creek but if not I should be available.