Help with good CCW holster

Guest efarmer21

Guest efarmer21

Any recommendations for a comfortable carry holster for Glock 30 or Glock 27? What is the best way to carry - small of back? Do you need bigger pants to make it work regardless of carry position?

Sorry if these are studid questions - never wore a weapon concealed before and looking for advice. Thanks

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First get a box, so that you can put all the holsters you buy and don't like in.....J/K...sorta.

Get one made for your model. I'm not a big fan of "universal" To me that says, universally, your gun won't fit well.

You have to decide between leather and kydex (plastic type)

You have to decide OWB (outside the waistband) or IWB (inside the wasteband)

There are others, but I would suggest you start out with a hip holster.

IMO, a strongside (if you are right handed, right side) holster on your side, I wear mine between 3 o'clock and 5 o'clock, is best. I prefer a IWB holster, the one I bought for my XD 40 is a CTAC by Comptac, Kydex holster. I also have a Blackhawk Serpa holster that I bought for range use and what have ya, but remember that box....I still use it for those quick juants to the grocery store, but I don't wear it much anymore.

Some people do not like a IWB holster, you may or may not, it is something you have to get use to and try yourself. My pants are about an inch or so too big without the holster in. That extra inch or so allows the holster to go in and me be able to button them. I love my IWB holster, I have taken handgun training (beyond the permit class) with my IWB and I can draw, reholster without any problems. I also can wear this CTAC all day without it becoming uncomfortable. I can tuck my shirt in over the handgun and it will disappear in this holster.

I would also suggest going to a gun shop that has a big selection, tell them that you are looking for a holster, that you are new to carrying, what model it is for, and have the handgun with you. A good shop will help you out and possibley let you try them on for size.

Good luck, I'm sure you will get lots of help here, that is the way we are here.

By the way, these are not stupid questions.

the only stupid questions are the ones never asked.

+1 on the box for all your holsters.you will need one thats sturdy,verry roomy,and has a secure lid.also clean out a place in your favorite closet thats in plain view to see all the money just sitting there unused.

Check out any local gun stores and see what they say most people get for your model/brand of pistol.

A good place to check out is;

WWW.GUNNERSALLEY.COM

Always had good products and service from them at good prices.

A lot of folks say not to go MOB holster because they with firearm may cause back injury if you fall on them. I have no personnal experience myself, I use either IWB or OWB.

Guest BigBoostDSM

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

I love this holster. It's a high noon tail-gunner. Comfortable, stays put, looks great, fits the gun perfectly. Price went up since I ordered so I'm not sure what it costs now. High noon has a 6 month lead time, so you'll more than likely need to get something temporary.

I like the comp-tac line of holsters, they make IWB and OWB holsters, I have found that having several ways of carrying the same gun is a must depending on how you are dressed. And of course there will be times when your primary carry gun will be too big, so you will need a J-fame gun,and several ways to carry it as well. I'm really not exaggerating too much if you are serious about carrying all the time. I also have a nightstand drawer and a box full of holsters, some I like and some I don't, it seems to be a never ending quest. Good luck.

I have a cheap IWB uncle mike's side kick i bought that I wore all the time until I got my comp-tac. Still some situations where I use the uncle mike's just because I can wear it on my back and you will never see it. Also have a galco tuckable holster. i like it for when I have to dress up but what i didn't think about until after I bought it was gun to skin contact. Make sure whatever you get covers the slide all the way up. The edges of your gun pressed up against you can be a little uncomfortable.

I think holster purchases and ways to carry are very individual. whats works for me may not work for you. Small of the back is good if you are walking, but sit in your car with one and you will have a big ole back ache in short order. I prefer to carry at 3 O'clock or 4 O'clock depending on the activity I am anticipating.

I have four , no five hoslters, lol. All of them get used and all of them have specific purposes. I have one cheapo holster I bought from a surplus store for 7 bucks. It is what i use 95% of the time for daily carry. It works well for me, but may not work for anyone else on this forum. I have three that are pretty much for range use only depending on what I am shooting at the time. The other one is used for daily carry about 5% of the time and works well on both of the carry weapons but will service 4 of the guns I have.

i think I got lucky, no box o' holsters for me. my only regret is not buying a couple of them $7 ones.

Guest Glockster27

I carry my Glock 27 in a M-TAC holster, IWB most of the time. I find it very comfortable and easy on/off. A good gun belt is a "MUST HAVE" item. :cool:

How you carry will really depends on what you are comfortable with. I do not like the small-of-back or middle-of-back carry postitions that much so I rarely carry that way.

I also have a BIG box full of holsters in my closet for all my unused or thats looks cool holsters that I have bought in the past and present. :D

Whatever you decide on remember that you need to practice drawing from it and carrying it. What seems comfortable at first may not feel that way after a few hours.

Most of all practice, practice and practice some more.

MTAC question, I have a CTAC by the way that I love, but anyway, heat, how does the MTAC wear in the heat? Does it make you sweat? Seems like that much leather would be a little warm.

Guest clutepc

I wear mine 12 to 14 hours a day and never had an issue with that..

It's not 90 degrees outside but I honestly don't foresee an issue with that from what I can tell so far..

First get a box, so that you can put all the holsters you buy and don't like in.....

I'll go along with that. Sell them to your "friends." :lol:

Over a lot of years, I've found that Don Hume makes excellent holsters at a good price.

All of my civilian type use holsters are Hume. The rest require a WEB belt. The company is weird. Mostly a bunch of women who don't seem to have a lot of experience, but their products are excellent and reasonably priced. If you want snob appeal, don't buy them.

If you want a good holster, do buy them,. A bunch of real professionals do. I shall not expand on this. :woohoo:

I spend about 40% of my time in jungles with a Bianchi. The rest of my time is largely urban with a Don Hume.

That's a matter of experience. If you don't want the advice, spin the wheel and take whatever comes along.