Question about positions...

StPatrick

And damn your dirty minds for thinking about anything but shooting a rifle!

I see many pictures of folks benching rifles, or shooting from rested positions. While I sometimes shoot with my front hand supported, I primarlily shoot offhand, from a non-target shooting stance (forward lean, feet 45ish degrees away from target, to the weak-hand side).

Am I weird or something? It seems like this is the most likely use of a rifle for hunting or other functions as needed.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Practice how you are going to fight.

Most fights are rarely scripted and even the best plan rarely goes as envisioned. With that being said find your weak shooting positions and practice them relentlessly.

When I was able to I would practice shooting from every conceiveable position possible with every conceivable weapon system. You never know when the fight is coming to you or what you will have at your disposal. I have practiced with everythign from a .22 to a shotgun and every caliber/weapon in between that I own.

Look at building a V-Tac barricade for practice. A single sheet of 4'x8' OSB builds two of them. They have plenty of firing positions so you can practice a lot of odd shooting styles. With basic tools they can be built in a few hours for less than $30.

download?mid=c8c1fe118a90d2dfdf1dcd67bc4a5eb4&rtyp=lt&ctyp=other&ts=1270223720000

There is a larger, printable version on this site:

VTAC barricade - M4Carbine.net Forums

Dolomite

For me Bench is for sighting in scopes. I have no use for one, other than resting beside one after I am done practicing. I am not a bench rest competitive shooter and don't see tremendous value in sitting at one all day. I have seen people who sight their rifles in with them and then go hunting expecting to be able to shoot as well in any position as they do their bench. The go home empty handed most of the time.

Practice as you will shoot.

Hunting and Target shooters have very little in common other than they both use guns.

You are obviously a hunter; you are using the proper stance for that.

If the “other functions as needed†happens to be hitting a 2†circle at 300 yards or a man sized target at 600 yards; you probably won’t be competing with Bench Rest shooters.

wow where do guys find that stuff!!!

i still use the prone position shown when i can. but seems now most shooters now shoot inline with the weapon. and most matches do not give you the room to set up in that big of area.

If you are hunter, practice shooting offhand, prone, kneeling or sitting indian style as we used to call it. Practice using the sling as leverage. If you hunt in any wide open country, and use them, practice shooting with shooting sticks. It may not seem like you would have to practice with those, but really you do have to become accustomed to using them.

I take a few shots of each after sighting in my rifle good before heading out on a hunt. These things are especially important if you are using any large or magnum cartridge rifles hunting big game.

Bench rest shooting gives you an indication of the capability of the rifle. And yes, the small groups are fun to see. Unsupported positions give you an indication of the capability of the shooter. The difference in group size tells you how far you have to go (which can be depressing).

You are obviously a hunter; you are using the proper stance for that.

Nope, I'm not a hunter, but learned what little I know from one, so you're still quite correct. The most hunting I've ever done is helping clear out woodchucks for a friend who keeps cattle (and those of you who know dairy farmers or ranchers know how much those little beasts are hated). I use the old hunting stance because it's more likely to come in handy off a range than the current "correct" target stance.

Honestly, I shoot offhand because I spend every weekday in data analysis and statistics, and when I shoot from a bench or with a scope, that part of my mind intrudes. For me, it takes the fun out of it - I never enjoy the act of firing a shot until I find out what level of "good" it attained.

I really enjoy shooting offhand with a .22 at 50 yards, with iron sights, because I can't see the bulletholes, or look for a pattern. I get to fire, feel if the shot broke well, and find out how it worked when the range goes clear. It gets me thinking about the process, instead of the result.