Sniper Style Precision Rifle

HanSolo

It has now been ~11 years since I did my sniper work in the 82nd so I am not 'up' on the newer military sniper gear, but I would take the M24 (Rem 700 .308) for any precision shooting out to 800m.

As others have mentioned, at any distance beyond ~300m wind and weather will prove more important for making one's shots. Ideally one would spend a great deal of range time working on both range estimation and reading wind. These skills are much more difficult to master hence the more experienced sniper normally served as spotter in my platoon.

As far as accouterments, I would NOT go with greater than a 10x scope as the higher power makes 100m shots more difficult. I would want a mil-dot reticle on the scope (not sure how easily these are acquired in the civilian world) and a sturdy bipod. A free floating heavy barrel would be the final touch.

Whatever you finally get, good shooting and practice, practice, practice.

those are great points!

I would have to think that 100m shots won't be made with this rifle..I'm thinking he wants to work on his distance shooting..still, learning to make long shots with an 'under 10x' scope WILL help him with the human part of this equation and is a good idea as well.

this makes me wonder if we could actually field a TGO team for camp Perry:D!

yah, I know..its off the wall thinking..:woohoo:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gcrookston
those are great points!

I would have to think that 100m shots won't be made with this rifle..I'm thinking he wants to work on his distance shooting..still, learning to make long shots with an 'under 10x' scope WILL help him with the human part of this equation and is a good idea as well.

this makes me wonder if we could actually field a TGO team for camp Perry:D!

yah, I know..its off the wall thinking..:D

I shot Perry in 85, 86 and 87, back when my eyes were good and my back was strong and I believed 7 or 8 X'es could earn a trophy... The best my team ever finished was in 86 when we came in 19th... damn marines...

here are my "long guns"...

DSC00034.jpg

Edited by gcrookston
The M110 SASS is what is being issued to US Army now. It is a AR based .308. They

have also purchased some DPMS SASS's in the .308. I own a DMPS .308 and it shoots great. I have only worked out to 400 meters due to no place with greater distance.

It shoot just as well as my heavy barreled 700 with Unertl scope. It's in .338 Laupa.

A lot of snipers/DM in the world swear by the .338 Laupa.

I think that before he gets an elephant gun he might want to run through some cheaper ammo first, so he can develop his skills.:D..I'm sure that GCrookston and DKD can attest that during his development he will acquire more weapons because his skills progress...there's no way around that.

Guest gcrookston
I'm sure that GCrookston and DKD can attest that during his development he will acquire more weapons because his skills progress...there's no way around that.

Actually, if it won't shoot sub-moa, I sell it. all of these guns are sub-MOA. but, like kitchen knives, they all serve different purposes. Some are bench guns, others varmint, a couple are just fuggly black rifles on an anti-politic slant looking to get attention...

It actually come down to same issue with buying a motorcycle. Most people buy something small to learn on and after a few months wish they had purchased something bigger. Buy something you can grow into. Some people are natural shots most have to work at it. In this thread it came down to bolt verses semi. Each has certain merits.

Most people handload to acheive the distances discussed here. So that is another

added expense. It cost me the same to reload .308 as it does to .338 lapua.

So do your research and get what you want and have fun.

Shooting in controlled environment(Paper) and in the field(hunting/sniping) are two different animals.

Guest bkelm18

I'm not a good shooter by any means, but I can get groupings a little bigger than a quarter at 200 yds with my Savage 10LE. Only mod I've made to it is replace the stock with a Choate Varmint Stock. Other than that and the scope its straight out of the box. Good enough for me.

It occurs to me that I might mention one other thing that affects accuracy. The specifications for attaching a stock to a barrel/receiver are generally 65 inch-pounds. That's inch, not foot. You can buy a firearms torque wrench that will be preset to that range. I put together a more expensive, but more versatile wrench set from Sears.

This is more important than most folks know. Before I got my torque wrench, I was over-tightening the stock bolts. When I started tightening to specifications, my groups improved significantly.