Universal M 1 .30 carbine

Andyshowfan

What are your thoughts on the universal .30 carbine? I've been offered one by a co-worker and we are in negotiations as we speak. I am finding some information out there but seem to be running into "those are cheap guns" "those are great guns" type of contradictions and just thought I would ask the gun savy folks here for any/all opinions good or bad.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check ammo price before you buy. If that doesn't scare you off, go for it! I currently have two m1 carbines, both milsurp, but have owned a Universal in the past. For shooting, I wouldn't give a nickel's difference in them. They're a blast to shoot. I wish ammo wasn't so friggin expensive. My children and I shot one yesterday. They both said "That's the coolest gun I've ever shot!" They've shot a bunch of guns.

Edited by gregintenn

I've had one since the late '70's. It's a good shooter. Most of the parts (depending on model) are not interchangeable with GI carbines. I haven't heard about any problems with OOB discharges.

Greg - you and your kids should shoot a .30 Carbine Blackhawk, especially after dark. It's an earsplitting flamethrower!

Thanks Greg, with that said, what do you know about the "out of battery" discharges?

I am not familiar with this problem.

Greg - you and your kids should shoot a .30 Carbine Blackhawk, especially after dark. It's an earsplitting flamethrower!

I'd love to get my hands on one. As I remember, they are friggin LOUD!!!!! A sharp, earpiercing loud.

Guest Knightsr25
The early universals were built with all or most USGI parts except for the receivers.

Midway through the 80's I think is when they went to crappy parts and sloppy builds.

Value is about 1/3 of a USGI from what I have seen.

2ND.

My brother had a Universal back about 20 years ago and it was a good shooter. I didn't know about the quality until I bought my '42 Inland. A lot of difference in quality, but a Universal still makes a good little rifle. I saw a Universal at a gunshow at Livingston and they wanted $350.

Ok..............went to look at it and wow, the gun is in great shape! Needs cleaning and oiled but still in great shape. Here's another inquiry about these guns. I have not found much about the serial numbers other than on Universal Firearms Corp. . The serial # on this one is 168xxx. Just wondering if anyone knows approximately how old and if it is one of the 2nd generations as stated on the mentioned website. Oh and has weaver side scope mounts, green sling, two boxes of bullets, three 10rd mags, mag pouch that slides on the stock, bayonet mount and the green "sack" that is in the ad on the wesite. Thinking real hard about buying.

Edited by Andyshowfan
added info