Internet Anonymity and freedom of speech

kesava

Stop Internet Anonymity?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Stop Internet Anonymity?

• Yes
    • No

Anonymity makes people big and bad. It allows them to say things that are hurtful, untrue and crass without fear of anything linking their comments back to them (mostly).

It also gives someone the chance to speak their mind, exercise freedom of speech and a platform to gain confidence to later form a valid argument.

There is a big part of me that thinks that Internet Anonymity (IA) is for the most part abused. Some people wouldn't say half the **** they say if their logins were linked to their facebook profile. I am not speaking specifically about TGO but all forums. Facebook login sights have MUCH less BS than CNN or Fox. The replies there are downright deplorable.

I believe in freedom of speech. It is something that we take advantage of all too much. Not until we read a story on someone getting stoned for speaking their mind do most people think about it. While I may not agree with everything that people have to say, I have risked my life to defend their right to say it.

If a bill for ending IA came to up I would vote for it. Would you?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest strelcevina
Anonymity makes people big and bad. It allows them to say things that are hurtful, untrue and crass without fear of anything linking their comments back to them (mostly).

It also gives someone the chance to speak their mind, exercise freedom of speech and a platform to gain confidence to later form a valid argument.

There is a big part of me that thinks that Internet Anonymity (IA) is for the most part abused. Some people wouldn't say half the **** they say if their logins were linked to their facebook profile. I am not speaking specifically about TGO but all forums. Facebook login sights have MUCH less BS than CNN or Fox. The replies there are downright deplorable.

I believe in freedom of speech. It is something that we take advantage of all too much. Not until we read a story on someone getting stoned for speaking their mind do most people think about it. While I may not agree with everything that people have to say, I have risked my life to defend their right to say it.

Gun Forums + Freedom Of speech = BS

Gun Forums including this one just portending that they believe on freedom of speech,

reality is that Gun forums including TGO are run like Online Dictatorships.

Erasing posts or changing them ,just like Joseph Stalin did with his pictures.. he would just erase his formal friends :)lol

i was just recently Banned for a week for voicing my opinion in respectful manner, according to forum rules.

Excuse for baning me for a week was ,

and i quote one of Moderators:

'""'The inflammatory infraction and temporary ban wasn't for that one single post. It was for several of your posts here. Most of your post seem to have that kind of tone to them. I think most members here can respect the fact that you have a very different opinion about topics then the typical right-wing gun owner. What gets under people's skin is your inflammatory, passive-aggressiveness, and many times, the "I'm better then you" attitude you have when discussing those topics. I personally have received several complaints on your post here. I have no idea how many complaints the other mods and David have received. I'd guess it's quite a few."""

People are going to say whatever they say. You want to know my name? Ask. If I think it

is any of your business I will give it. i dare say the boss of this board knows it and if I did something

illegal or harmed another he would do what needed to be done. You should consider your own

privacy more valuable than just some forum.

People should be much more polite towards another, but because they are not is no reason to

step on their toes by making them reveal themselves.

I doubt many of the people on here would say the things they say if they were face to face.

You don’t have anonymity; it just depends on who wants to find you and what resources they have.

The government should not be allowed to control the internet. But they should be able to arrest you if you commit a crime using the net.

Freedom of speech has nothing to do with controlling the net. You have the freedom to say certain things; anonymity is not part of those rights.

Guest strelcevina
I doubt many of the people on here would say the things they say if they were face to face.

;)

99.99% of bad things Happen in times of Anonymity...

thiefs Steal ,rapist rape,murderer kill ...

i doubt all bad things would Exist ,if everybody could see it happening

anonymity doesn't matter. Who cares. Link me to Facebook all you want, I don't do facebook. So what does that prove?

I am not sure but I do not think 1A mentions anything about your name being attached to what you say.

People take internet forums way tooooooooo seriously. And of course 1A does not apply anyway.

Watch what happens to Strel.

If what people say on the interwebz pisses you off there is always the choice of not reading it.

People are going to say whatever they say. You want to know my name? Ask. If I think it

is any of your business I will give it. i dare say the boss of this board knows it and if I did something

illegal or harmed another he would do what needed to be done. You should consider your own

privacy more valuable than just some forum.

People should be much more polite towards another, but because they are not is no reason to

step on their toes by making them reveal themselves.

A. This isn't about TGO-

B. "People are not going to say whatever they want to say",

I kicked some kids ass in high school for slapping my little sister. His father called my grandfather and talked a good game. He asked what our address was so he could come over and open up a can of whoop ass on him. He was there in less than 3 minutes, slams on the brakes in the middle of our street. Jumps out of the car and runs to the door.

My grandfather isn't a small man. 6'6' 370lbs. When he opened the door, the guy who was yelling through the door, shut the fudge up and apologized. I pointed and laughed.

I find that a very good number of people wouldn't say in person what they say online.

You're right, people should be nice just because. But the fact of the matter is some people are only nice because they have to be, not because they want to be.

You don’t have anonymity; it just depends on who wants to find you and what resources they have.

The government should not be allowed to control the internet. But they should be able to arrest you if you commit a crime using the net.

Freedom of speech has nothing to do with controlling the net. You have the freedom to say certain things; anonymity is not part of those rights.

I agree wholeheartedly.

I pretty much say what's on my mind, DaveTN, on here or in person.

I don't know about rights(the internet ain't guns) on the internet, but I do know

that the government has no business regulating the internet. Everything they touch

turns to a Medusa.

You are free to join in a conversation as much as you don't have to join.

I don't see regulating the internet as a positive thing. It appears to do quite well

without the brave new world taking it over and ruining it.

They have been arresting people for internet crimes for quite a few years.

anonymity doesn't matter. Who cares. Link me to Facebook all you want, I don't do facebook. So what does that prove?

I am not sure but I do not think 1A mentions anything about your name being attached to what you say.

People take internet forums way tooooooooo seriously. And of course 1A does not apply anyway.

Watch what happens to Strel.

If what people say on the interwebz pisses you off there is always the choice of not reading it.

It proves nothing. I don't give a damn about connecting to people who want to call me a friend but doesn't really know me. Yes, the 1A does attach you to your comments. It's there so I can't persecute you for your comments. So you can say what you feel needs to be said without the fear. I can sure as hell form an opinion about someone from their comments though, as my freedom of expression.

Don't read it? That's impossible. it's not about me avoiding what someone has to say. That's why I don't go to certain places. But, when it's everywhere, it's unavoidable.

Guest strelcevina

There was time Before Jesus Christ and now is time After.

There was a time before Internet and there will be a time After.

Internet is more important than Religion.

it is just meter of time where we will get Unique Online access number to free internet. just like Social security number for free people ,

But there is good news, you can always refuse to access Internet to protect your privacy ;)

You just have to remember the law of unintended consequences. While the intentions may be honorable, ANYTIME you give the government the power to regulate ANYTHING, you WILL have unintended consequences and will pave the road to even more power. That's how we got where we are now.

Edited by USMCJG
Guest Lester Weevils

I only voted NO on the survey because there was no choice for HELL NO.

Politeness is not important enough to regulate, except on a site-to-site basis. No global-accessible ID on people.

The only internet regulation I'm aware of, that I could possibly get behind, is some kind of Do Not Track regulation. Depending on how such a regulation was formulated, maybe I'd be against that too. But a Do Not Track regulation would be the polar opposite to a global individual identifier type of regulation.

I guess I’m not sure what you are asking. If “The government†wants to contact you for something you said on the net; they probably have the resources to do that.

But why would they?

So… if I say something you don’t like you think you have a right to know where I live? You think road rage is bad, you know how many people would die if names and addresses were available? smilielol5.gif

Guest Drewsett

Umm.... NO

You will rarely find someone who is more passionate about freedom of speech than I am. Without it we would certainly devolve into a dictatorship. If you want to see what life would be like without it just take a gander at Egypt. Or you could Google the Alien and Sedition acts and see our own country's dark past.

We have a right to free speech, not a right to not be offended. The moment we ban words or other forms of speech then we enable our own enslavement.

If you REALLY want to enact legislation where people would be more polite to one another then you could legalize dueling. It would have the same effect and fewer long lasting consequences.

There is no such thing as freedom of speech on a privately owned forum. If the moderators don't like what you are saying it is their right to edit it out or delete it completely, after all it is their private property where you have choosen to write.

Same thing as saying you have the right to say whatever you want in my house because you don't. If I don't like what you are saying I will remove you from my house. In the same way an internet website can remove you from their site as well as remvoe anything you have posted. And this isn't a stretch at all, go into any retailer and begin spouting off nonsense, you will get asked to leave as well.

As far a being annonymous I like it. Mostly because there are thoughts and ideas that may have never come to light for fear of ridicule. It is those ideas that lead to innovation.

Dolomite

Guest Drewsett

Oh and just to clarify, my previous comments were directed against a government movement to regulate speech.

Private property is different. For example, here on TGO I do have the right to free speech, but David has the right to moderate his website as he sees fit and even ban me if he wants. The only way that would change is if somehow the government started subsidizing TGO's operation. Somehow I find that unlikely.

Anonymity can also be a good thing.

When I was a Police Officer it was our departmental policy that we could not make public statements about cases or about the department without the authorization of a Command Officer.

We have some members here that are in a position to give information that if it weren’t for anonymity they might not otherwise be able to give.

If you need that information; you take it for what it’s worth. It could be right or way off base; it’s up to you to decide. :)

Why is it folks always want more rules to force people to do things their way?

OP, where's your full name? I didn't see it in your profile.

This whole thread is like a school yard call out. All we need is someone to call Marty McFly chicken.

Several members here know me and will gladly tell you that if I'll call you an ******* here, I'll tell you to your face. If you want to fight about it, fine. That's your initiative. I'll see ya by the swings. That's not bold talk either. I'm just not afraid to speak my mind and stand up for myself.

Life is too short to BS and placate people. Whether it's on a forum or in person. As for government control of forcing me to reveal who I am on the Internet I have to ask "Why?". It serves no purpose and it's just another thing the .gov can put their hands on.

Gun Forums + Freedom Of speech = BS

Gun Forums including this one just portending that they believe on freedom of speech,

reality is that Gun forums including TGO are run like Online Dictatorships.

Erasing posts or changing them ,just like Joseph Stalin did with his pictures.. he would just erase his formal friends :)lol

i was just recently Banned for a week for voicing my opinion in respectful manner, according to forum rules.

Excuse for baning me for a week was ,

and i quote one of Moderators:

'""'The inflammatory infraction and temporary ban wasn't for that one single post. It was for several of your posts here. Most of your post seem to have that kind of tone to them. I think most members here can respect the fact that you have a very different opinion about topics then the typical right-wing gun owner. What gets under people's skin is your inflammatory, passive-aggressiveness, and many times, the "I'm better then you" attitude you have when discussing those topics. I personally have received several complaints on your post here. I have no idea how many complaints the other mods and David have received. I'd guess it's quite a few."""

I happen to agree with the mod's assessment, although I've never gone running to them with complaints about you. You do tend to poke the bear a lot, and i know you're smart enough to realize you're doing it.