Range report S&W Bodyguard .38

Mykltn

First off, this is the lightest revolver I have ever shot. I am used to .357 and .44 mags so a dedicated .38 is something new to me. The pistol is a five shot dedicated self defense gun so distances were kept short. The revolver has an unusual cylinder release located where the hammer would normally be. This is suppose to make the pistol comfortable for left handed shooters as well as right. The grip I had to use was higher on the grip than I am used to but was still comfortable. Holding the grip higher helps with the recoil and follow up shots. Since the gun is very light, even normal loads kick pretty good. It's defiantly not one you would want to shoot all day at the range. But as a self defense gun it does it's job well. Trigger pull was fairly good for a DA only pistol. The Laser was set for about 20 yards and did well for point and shoot aiming. Took a little practice to get her dialed in but well worth the effort. This little pistol should make for a good summer carry weapon.

Shot at 50 feet.

ad96c1f4.jpg

e59a1cdd.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just what I was looking for, thanks on the report. Not a bad grouping for a DAO snubnose, better than me with my fullsize. Still getting use to DAO revolvers. I find the grip to print less than square glock or m&p grips under clothing.

Thanks good report!, Great shooting!.... What do you think of the position of the laser ??? Hard to reach and activate in a "time is life" draw situation?

With practice, it shouldnt be hard to master. I have long thumbs and have no problem turning it on and off. I practice turning it on the same as I would when taking off the safety during my draw. Seems to work well so far. The iron sights are very good also. Easy to see in regular light.

Congrats on a fine revolver! Thanks for the range report. IMO, revolvers are the best choice for summer concealment.

I haven't had a revolver in a lot of years, but am thinking of getting one again. Especially something small and light. For summer carry, is there a reason you're partial to revolvers over a comparable size pistol? I'm not challenging your opinion...I'd just like some help justifying buying another gun. :rolleyes:

Guest nicemac
I haven't had a revolver in a lot of years, but am thinking of getting one again. Especially something small and light. For summer carry, is there a reason you're partial to revolvers over a comparable size pistol? I'm not challenging your opinion...I'd just like some help justifying buying another gun. :rolleyes:

I like to carry a revolver (have a couple of J-Frames) because it is dead-simple. I have never been in a life-and-death situation and hope to never be in one, but don't want to forget to take the pistol off of safety (if equipped) or carry with a round chambered in a pistol that doesn't have one. Additionally, I don't want a jam to interfere with my ability to defend myself. I got my wife a J-Frame for exactly the same reason. You pull the trigger, it goes bang. If it doesn't, just pull it again, it will fire. That is not the case with a pistol. If it fails to fire, you have to take TIME to clear/reset. In that time, Mr. bad guy can be on top of you.

None of us knows how we will react until we are in that situation. I would like to think that I would be cool as a cucumber and handle a jam just like I do when I am practicing, but the reality is that I just don't know. Simple is good.

That said, most of the time, I carry a full-sized .45. It has never jammed on me, but Mr. Murphy is known to show up at the most inopportune times… When I am going to church or somewhere else that I have to wear something that inhibits my ability to carry full-sized (in condition one), I go for the small revolver. I am just reluctant to trust my life to the really small pistols as much as I trust an ultra-simple revolver.

Edited by nicemac
I like to carry a revolver (have a couple of J-Frames) because it is dead-simple. I have never been in a life-and-death situation and hope to never be in one, but don't want to forget to take the pistol off of safety (if equipped) or carry with a round chambered in a pistol that doesn't have one. Additionally, I don't want a jam to interfere with my ability to defend myself. I got my wife a J-Frame for exactly the same reason. You pull the trigger, it goes bang. If it doesn't, just pull it again, it will fire. That is not the case with a pistol. If it fails to fire, you have to take TIME to clear/reset. In that time, Mr. bad guy can be on top of you.

None of us knows how we will react until we are in that situation. I would like to think that I would be cool as a cucumber and handle a jam just like I do when I am practicing, but the reality is that I just don't know. Simple is good.

That said, most of the time, I carry a full-sized .45. It has never jammed on me, but Mr. Murphy is known to show up at the most inopportune times… When I am going to church or somewhere else that I have to wear something that inhibits my ability to carry full-sized (in condition one), I go for the small revolver. I am just reluctant to trust my life to the really small pistols as much as I trust an ultra-simple revolver.

Great comments. Thanks!

I bought one of these primarily for my wife, but I love it. She didn't do well with the recoil of such a light gun but with wadcutters for range work it has helped alot. I am going to have to give it up when her permit comes in but then I might get a mate for it.

Update to the range report:

Loving wife and son has purchased for me the Thumb Break Scabbard from Smith&Wesson and I have to tell you, it is a damn comfortable rig. I wore it all day Sunday and all but forgot it was there. The Holster is molded perfectly for the revolver and has a tension screw for fine tunning the fit. Quality is top notch and it can even be worn upright or with a slight forward cant. Great holster for a great gun. This is a must have with this revolver.

Can't speak to the Bodyguard but I really like my M&P 340 and 642. The 642 was a bit heavy for the pocket so I went with the 340. 16 ounces vs 13.3 empty and includes night sights. It is also .357 capable. I carry it with Speer Gold Dot for Short Barrels, 135 gr. Plus P.

I have CT 405 grips on both. A) for the laser ;) for the recoil mitigation. Turning on the laser is as simple as gripping the revolver...it's on. There is an on off switch as-well. Since these are point and shoot revolvers the laser is a great training aid and works well unto itself. It's nice to shoot without going to the sights.

P1270034-3.jpg

Edited by DAdams

Very well said +1

Guest nicemac
Great shooting with a snub at 50 ft!!! Just bought a 642, and I'm thinking now maybe I need to invest in a laser.

I just bought a Crimson Trace LG-305 (with a good, thick backstrap) at Trophy's Outdoors for $200.71. This is as good as I have found from a reputable dealer. I have bought from them previously. I had to make a change on an order and their customer service was excellent.

Crimson Trace LG-305 - S&W J Rnd Butt Om FA Full Grip | Trophy's Outdoors - Hunting - Guns - Ammunition - Shooting Supplies - Crimson Trace Laser Grips

Edited by nicemac
Can't speak to the Bodyguard but I really like my M&P 340 and 642. The 642 was a bit heavy for the pocket so I went with the 340. 16 ounces vs 13.3 empty and includes night sights. It is also .357 capable. I carry it with Speer Gold Dot for Short Barrels, 135 gr. Plus P.

I have CT 405 grips on both. A) for the laser ;) for the recoil mitigation. Turning on the laser is as simple as gripping the revolver...it's on. There is an on off switch as-well. Since these are point and shoot revolvers the laser is a great training aid and works well unto itself. It's nice to shoot without going to the sights.

P1270034-3.jpg

You've got a couple great looking Smiths there!