Ruger Mark III Speed Strip Kit by Majestic Arms. Any opinions?

Will Carry

Does anyone use this Majestic speed strip kit for their Mark III? I love my Mark III Hunter with the 6 7/8" fluted bull barrel. The guy I took my concealed carry class from was so great I told him I'd buy a pistol from him.

The man just opened a gun shop in Bahama NC. It's a great little gun shop. The class was $65. The instructor was a retired cop who I new back in the 80s when he was an undercover narc (no he didn't bust me). The guy fired up the grill that morning and while teaching the class cooked a half dozen chickens. He not only taught the required material but taught us how to spot and avoid assaults and carjackings. He even went over how gangs operate, how to recognize them, their signs and their graffiti. He told us stories about is LEO days and gave demonstrations about how quickly a person can cover 21 feet. The chicken was excellent! So I forked out a bundle for this Mark III he had in his shop that nobody would buy.........

Edited by Will Carry
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I wouldn't waste your money. Yes, the Ruger Mark IIIs are a pain to field strip at first, but once you get the hang of it, they are incredibly easy. I would spend the money on 500 rounds of 22lr before I would buy the kit.

Personally, I wouldn't waste your money. Yes, the Ruger Mark IIIs are a pain to field strip at first, but once you get the hang of it, they are incredibly easy. I would spend the money on 500 rounds of 22lr before I would buy the kit.

This. Oh and you wanna be careful about fully dissasembling a Mark III too often. It's a friction fit so the more you take off the barrel the looser it can become. I only fully dissasemble mine every couple thousand rounds and just run a bore snake and some Q-tips through it between major cleanings. Mine seems to run a tad smoother with a little smutz in it anyhow.

True, but the magazine disconnect safety is an abomination.

I ordered it last night from Midway along with one of them Farfegnugen fancy grips. I can break down my Mark II and Mark III but I want to try this strip kit. It says it reduces the trigger pull to 3-3.5lbs? I also bought a new blade for the rear sight. The original is a "V" notch, this one is a square notch.

Guest malbolja

I have the kit on my MKII and like it. While the difficulty of stripping Ruger .22s is greatly exaggerated, I don't do it very often and the kit makes it easier to do a quick cleaning without consulting the manual or figuring out (yet again) the correct assembly procedure. But then I'm lazy. :D

Well as I was on my hands and knees under the dining room table with a flash light, looking for a spring and a pin the size of a pencil lead, I realized that I may have made a big mistake. My Majestic Arms speed strip kit came in yesterday. After 5 hours my pistol is still in pieces on the dining room table.

At the end of the 5 page instructions there is a photograph of what the hammer, Magazine Safety and Sear are supposed to look like. The photo is blurry and it doesn't show the sear orientation and it doesn't say how the mag safety spring bottom is supposed to be attached.

If I can ever get this pistol back together, I won't need a Speed Strip Kit. I have taken this pistol apart and put it back together a dozen times. The bolt will not slide into the breach because the sear isn't in the right location. The Ruger manual shows it one way and the Majestic shows it another.

I should have listened to ya'll but NOOOOOO! :)

The last time someone called me up to "fix" their Ruger MKIII that they had taken apart and couldn't get back together I offered to trade him a fully functional rimfire for his "broke" rimfire. We traded and now that MKIII 22/45 sports a 2.25lb crips trigger pull and a Ultradot Matchdot.

Springs: Springs for RUGER Semi-Auto Pistols

I would also recommend the "new" Volquartsen trigger either steel or aluminum that allows you to adjust pre and over travel externally.

A Volquartsen sear will also help. The Accurising kit would be OK if it didn't have that extended bolt release, that thing gets in the way.

Volquartsen Accurizing Kit Ruger Mark III, 22/45 Silver - MidwayUSA

https://www.volquartsen.com/category/16-action-trigger-components/4-mkiimkiii

Pretty good trigger job website: Real Guns

Best resources on Ruger MK pistols: www.1bad69.com and Gun Talk Online

I looked at these for a minute after getting my Mark III 22/45 RP, but dismissed it entirely after removing my magazine catch safety. A $20 hammer bushing from Clark Custom filled the empty space and made the gun disassemble like a Mark II.

I finally got my Mark III back together. Their is a notch on the Magazine Safety (a worthless safety feature). This notch fits over the sear. I found a you tube video that explains it. As soon as I get the correct washers, this magazine safety is going into the bag with the loaded chamber indicator (another useless safety feature, a pistol is always loaded.). It seems that the Mark III is a Mark II with extra safety features that nobody asked for plus a different mag release. I did not put the stripper kit on the pistol. I have taken it apart enough now that I could do it in my sleep. The Valquartsen (Farfegnugen) grips are nice. If you have big hands.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9JwKIbjwggGaUFL5R0l8MwlpTfOHPOXboPU

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9JwKIbjwggGaUFL5R0l8MwlpTfOHPOXboPU

Edited by Will Carry

I have 2 .22LR pistols a Browning Medalist and an older 1978 MK 1 heavy taper..

The Medalist has been detail stripped 3 times in 20 years, ( barrel and slide removed grips off etc.) due to the 1 piece target grips they came with.. a swab/brush down the bore once due to a bit of hard fouling from some crap ammo I know of another that is 40 years old only had rod down barrel 4 times they both still out shoot anyone who gets behind them....They were both shot 3 nights a week 30 rounds a night for 15 (8 month) seasons...

We used a rag to clean the crown, breech and bolt face lightly lube the rails wiped down exterior and run it...we did however detail clean the magazines every season...

The Ruger has been apart once to touch up the trigger when I bought it second hand.. replaced springs with new ones and thats it..

My point is that with most guns and for that matter machinery in general we tear down and clean them more than they need it... when was the last time you detail stripped your lawnmower ? your kids go kart ?

John