I had no idea.

mav

So if that has not past yet, why are some places just taking it on themselves to collect information from people? Seems they are over stepping they bounds. I very well may have missed a key point so you may have to type slow for me. ;)

The part you are talking aobut; filling out paperwork and answering questions like you were getting a mortgage to get sinus medicine is already in effect. What they want to do is to make it so that you have to go to the doctor and get a prescription for it. This will make the price of meth a tad higher, and add yet another unnecessary burden to working, law abiding citizens.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now, if it has been determined that you've bought too many sinus pills, they come and arrest you for making meth. I can't find anyone who will give me a definite number for what's too many. Some of the ingredients they'll confiscate for evidence include 2 liter drink bottles, coleman stove fuel, drano, and mouse poison. Now who the h3ll doesn't have all this stuff in their house? The real problem is that the offending people aren't dealt with. They are arrested, tried, and turned back out on the street. This is just another feel good piece of cr@p legislation that does nothing but add to the ever increasing government control over your life.

Closing the border to Mexico would have a far greater effect on curbing this problem, if in fact, that was the actual goal.

Edited by gregintenn
So if that has not past yet, why are some places just taking it on themselves to collect information from people? Seems they are over stepping they bounds. I very well may have missed a key point so you may have to type slow for me. ;)

Sorry I wasn't clear. It is required that you provide id and sign a log to buy those particular cold meds. It's not a law that you have to have a prescription.

I will say this, I wandered into a meth lab in 07. It wasn't a good thing.

As much as everyone is bitching about having to sign for the meds, the only ones that have to worry are those people breaking the law.

Now let the paranoia flow...

OK, I guess I was confused as I knew some of the over the counter stuff has been behind the counter for a long time and that in fact they make you show ID and sign for it.

I guess I was really confused by OP finding slips of paper on the shelves, like it was something that had recently been out there and just recently removed to behind the counter. I know in my local places they don't have any slips of paper you just kinda have to know it is behind the counter.

I know I was planning to watch for that other law to go into effect and buy some normal cold medicine/cough syrup before they remove it. Not so much that it would go bad before it would be used but enough to at least save me one trip to the doctor.

I watched the TV show about the Meth Highway or what ever it was called. The LEO sat outside the drug store and had an undercover guy inside pretending to be a customer watching who borough those pills and they would follow the car and pull it over. At least in the ones they pulled over they were already breaking open the pills.

I learned the term the LEO's called them in that show, they called the buyers Smurfs and the cooker Papa Smurf.

I don't know how many things are used to make meth, but most of them are posien. I don't see how someone, anyone came up with the idea, hey, lets put all this in a pot, cook it, and what every and then get high. It just blows my mind. It is more then an accident.

Edited by vontar
Right now, if it has been determined that you've bought too many sinus pills, they come and arrest you for making meth. I can't find anyone who will give me a definite number for what's too many. Some of the ingredients they'll confiscate for evidence include 2 liter drink bottles, coleman stove fuel, drano, and mouse poison. Now who the h3ll doesn't have all this stuff in their house? The real problem is that the offending people aren't dealt with. They are arrested, tried, and turned back out on the street. This is just another feel good piece of cr@p legislation that does nothing but add to the ever increasing government control over your life.

Closing the border to Mexico would have a far greater effect on curbing this problem, if in fact, that was the actual goal.

What makes you think this is coming from MEXICO? Hello ..............this is coming from your own back yard. There are many indicators that you have to have to make reasonable suspicion for an arrest not just a collection of some ingredients.

What makes you think this is coming from MEXICO? Hello ..............this is coming from your own back yard. There are many indicators that you have to have to make reasonable suspicion for an arrest not just a collection of some ingredients.

Now that I am up to speed. I have something I can add.

this is old but I have seen similar information on TV.

The Mexican Connection

Mexico's imports of the cold medicine have vaulted from 66 tons to 224 tons in the past five years, customs records show. That's roughly double what the country needs to meet the legitimate demands of cold and allergy sufferers, an analysis by The Oregonian found.

52434c584c45315967326b414374762b?_RM_EMPTY_&

U.S. officials say meth production in Mexico is rising because Mexican traffickers can no longer easily obtain pseudoephedrine in the United States and Canada, which have cracked down on companies that sell cold pills. The number of Mexican-run "superlabs" found in California has plummeted in the past three years, the officials say, yet Mexican-made meth remains widely available on the streets of the United States.

Although some U.S. officials predicted three years ago that traffickers would start acquiring pseudoephedrine in Mexico, the United States and Mexico failed to prevent it from happening.

U.S. officials say they have been talking to the Mexican government about the country's surging imports of pseudoephedrine powder since 2003.

I don't know how many things are used to make meth, but most of them are posien. I don't see how someone, anyone came up with the idea, hey, lets put all this in a pot, cook it, and what every and then get high. It just blows my mind. It is more then an accident.

Yes, it is chemistry. I would explain it to you, but that is probably not very wise since I don't want to be accused of teaching someone to make meth. I am a chemist by trade, that is the only reason I know it.

OK, I guess I was confused as I knew some of the over the counter stuff has been behind the counter for a long time and that in fact they make you show ID and sign for it.

I guess I was really confused by OP finding slips of paper on the shelves, like it was something that had recently been out there and just recently removed to behind the counter. I know in my local places they don't have any slips of paper you just kinda have to know it is behind the counter.

I know I was planning to watch for that other law to go into effect and buy some normal cold medicine/cough syrup before they remove it. Not so much that it would go bad before it would be used but enough to at least save me one trip to the doctor.

I watched the TV show about the Meth Highway or what ever it was called. The LEO sat outside the drug store and had an undercover guy inside pretending to be a customer watching who borough those pills and they would follow the car and pull it over. At least in the ones they pulled over they were already breaking open the pills.

I learned the term the LEO's called them in that show, they called the buyers Smurfs and the cooker Papa Smurf.

you are so close and without giving any info to the bad guys ........enough said.

The law that has passed is that they collect your id number and name and you can only get like up to 48 pills. the law that hasn't passed is to make these prescription only.

An if that does pass it will work great because there is no way to abuse prescription medication.;)

United States

Pseudoephedrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Required a retrievable record of all purchases, identifying the name and address of each party, to be kept for two years
  • Required verification of proof of identity of all purchasers
  • Required protection and disclosure methods in the collection of personal information
  • Required reports to the Attorney General of any suspicious payments or disappearances of the regulated products
  • Required training of employees with regard to the requirements of the CMEA. Retailers must self-certify as to training and compliance.
  • The non-liquid dose form of regulated products may only be sold in unit dose blister packs
  • Regulated products must be stored behind the counter or in a locked cabinet in such a way as to restrict public access
  • Daily sales limit—must not exceed 3.6 grams of pseudoephedrine base without regard to the number of transactions
  • 30-day (not monthly) sales limit—must not exceed 7.5 grams of pseudoephedrine base if sold by mail order or "mobile retail vendor"
  • 30-day purchase limit—must not exceed 9 grams of pseudoephedrine base. (A misdemeanor possession offense under 21 U.S.C. § 844a for the person who buys it.)

In regards to the identification that may be used by an individual buying pseudoephedrine products the following constitute acceptable forms of identification:

• US passport
  • Alien registration or permanent resident card
  • Unexpired foreign passport with temporary I-551 stamp
  • Unexpired Employment Authorization Document
  • Driver's License or Government issued identification card (including Canadian driver's license)
  • School ID with picture
  • Voter's Registration card
  • US Military Card
  • Native American tribal documents

I think Vontar answered your question about Mexico. I didn't say al of it came from Mexico, but a good percentage of it does. I'd like to know some specifics about what would be considered reasonable suspicion. Not what you were told, but I'd like to see something concrete in writing.

Yes, it is chemistry. I would explain it to you, but that is probably not very wise since I don't want to be accused of teaching someone to make meth. I am a chemist by trade, that is the only reason I know it.

that is ok,

1. I would not understand. I am not a chemist

2. I don't even want to know.

I know what baking soda and vinegar do. I got an A on that project.

My intent with the original post was just to illustrate another example of government coming in with an ax to solve a problem when in fact a scalpel would be more effective. All of us want a solution to the meth problem, and all of us want to give our LEO the tools and information required to effectively deal with the illicit drug manufacturers. The question is, do we want government snooping more and more into our daily lives all under the guise of combating some evil? I think the answer is no.

As stated earlier, we see so many cases where government overreachs in its attempt to right some wrong. The most recent examples have been Obamacare, TSA nonsense, and the obesity police.

My intent with the original post was just to illustrate another example of government coming in with an ax to solve a problem when in fact a scalpel would be more effective. All of us want a solution to the meth problem, and all of us want to give our LEO the tools and information required to effectively deal with the illicit drug manufacturers. The question is, do we want government snooping more and more into our daily lives all under the guise of combating some evil? I think the answer is no.

As stated earlier, we see so many cases where government overreachs in its attempt to right some wrong. The most recent examples have been Obamacare, TSA nonsense, and the obesity police.

I agree. The meth issue is just a particularly nasty problem.

Mav.

I believe we all got your original intent and you know how we run with thing, like a well oiled machine or a well maintained Ma Deuce around here.

I know some of you did. Others, not so sure about. Perhaps if I would have wrote it in crayon. :D

Edited by mav
Guest MoonMan

I agree this stuff is terrible, just down the street a couple weeks ago a mobile meth lab got busted. They will throw all their stuff out and leave it, and its still dangerous. From Boyd Crowder "If you bring meth into this city, I will get rid of it."

Does anyone know if the method of lab reporting has changed? I ask for 2 reasons:

1) it seems like the number jumped a ton last year

2) I heard several different reports that said they found multiple meth labs in single houses.

Just wondering if the counting method has changed.

Mark

Guest Drewsett

You know the best method of combating illegal drugs is to legalize them. Let the addicts kill themselves off with drugs manufactured by for-profit companies...the drugs will be cheaper, better quality (ie safer), and there won't be drug traffickers with illegal weapons taking over the Southwestern United States.

Besides, I don't want the government telling me what I can and can't put in my own body.

:P

Popcorn my ass! :P

The more I think about this, the madder it makes me. The Sudafed issue is enough to make me agree with you, Drewsett. I am really sick and tired of darned near begging for the Sudafed and having to sign for it, like a criminal. What really galls me is the stuff you can get, I never saw on the shelf: 120mg, 240mg per capsule. You could buy the 30 or 60mg tablets at a minit mart, all day long, before the politicians got involved. It makes the argument to legalize any illicit drug more palatable to me. That doesn't mean I would start taking anything in excess, but it does mean I would feel less likely to floor a pharmacist the next time I go to get some Rx filled, and ask for some Sudafed.

Guest Drewsett
That doesn't mean I would start taking anything in excess

Few would...and even fewer would do so more than once. It's one of the reasons that places in Europe have lower incidences of drug abuse. It is not as much of a taboo, and usually the smart kids don't do it or get it out of their system n college, and the stupid ones kill themselves. Society is at a net gain as a result. Not to mention the lower incidences of alcoholism because kids in some countries have wine with dinner.

Whether you agree with my above statement or not, it is a simple rule of fact that the country would reap the economic benefits of bringing a shadow economy mainstream. Sales taxes would generate revenue and if it was so desired a "sin" tax of a moderate nature could be imposed that funded a program that paid the doctors who provide medical care for or pull the plug on the John/Jane Doe OD cases.

Oh and don't forget the billions of dollars we would save on policing, prosecuting, and incarcerating drug offenders. There's also the fringe benefit of the reduction of crimes associated with drug traffickers, namely extortion, murder, racketeering, and armed robbery to name a few.

Man (or WOman) up America, and realize that as long as you oppose a "nanny" state yet support the legislation of morality,you are guilty of hypocrisy.

Sudafed is a key ingredient in the manufacture of meth. meth is a very dangerous drug and the people that use this very often not only endanger themselves but their children as well. The manufacturing of this drug is extremely volatile it can and does explode often when made and the fumes will kill you. I see children very often put in harms way just so their junky mom or dad can get a fix. If you saw what law enforcement people see after most people are at home tucked in bed you would change your mind about this so called "bulls**t. Too much garbage legislation"

I can also say I've seen the effects adressed above and I have similair feelings. Before all the knee-jerk reactions about a communist nanny-state you guys may want to consider that there is no Constitutional right to Sudafed and there are many alternative cold medicines available.

No disrespect, JReed, but "the children" are getting damaged because of this law, as much

as if they would be getting damaged if the law wasn't there. The problem didn't start after

the law was enacted, but it did make it more difficult for me to get Sudafed. Now, tell me

how the Hell these people keep on getting Sudafed in a large enough quantity to make a

profit as a criminal, while I have to sign a card and go into some database, somewhere and

get scrutinized if I might buy too much. And how much is too much?

I think the crime is in the state's approach in correcting a problem. All talk! Something for a DA

to use for re-election.

Edited by 6.8 AR
add