Idea thread: Shelby farms Shooting range (Longshot)

M4sherman

Alright today I was sitting around thinking about how crappy it is that the shelby farms rifle range is no longer in service for what ever reason. Well as I was working and contemplating the ways to get the range reopened the words of a wise old man came to mind; "Nothing gets done if everyone does nothing", and by taking his advice I have decided to create a thread just for the discussion of how we can get the range back open ;no matter how long of a shot it seems.

Now to start this off we must consider the official reason it was closed was due to budgetary constraints; no matter the real reason that is whats on paper, so we would first need to see if there is a way to make the range monetarily self sufficient. Now this could be achieved many ways ranging from donations to daily usage fees but first we would need to know what the operational cost was....

Anyway post on my comrades

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using labor for grass cutting from the penal farm, as they did in the past, should reduce most of the operating costs, as a range officer would be the only paid employee.

I forgot to add a dozen well paid appointees from the mayor's office.:up:

Guest clownsdd

ya got the folks on the other side of the river worried about shells landing on their property. That was the first excuse. I believe it was the anti's stoking the fire that got it closed.

ya got the folks on the other side of the river worried about shells landing on their property. That was the first excuse. I believe it was the anti's stoking the fire that got it closed.

This, it was political. Those folks across the river have some large amounts of bank roll. Wasn't the range actually breaking even or making a little? Seems like I read/heard that once.

This. And it allowed them to do more developement in that area.

The gun range at Shelby Farms was probably one of the few paid for activities that Shelby Farms Park had. I have a good feeling some local govt types just don't like the idea of a gun range.

A lot of services in Memphis operate at a loss. Those city buses are in the hole I'm sure big time. The trolley tracks that are a pain to drive my car on down Madison have to be a bigger loss than the city buses. I rarely see people on the trolleys.

The gun range was a drop in the bucket compared to public transportation. Silly Wharton, Ford, Willie, et al running mouth with the other politicians and do gooders agreeing.

Guest adamoxtwo

Why not see about getting someone to sponsor an Indoor Pistol Range? You may be able to get some TGO'ers to do the Labor if you can find a way to scrounge the material. Not Perfect but better then nothing.

• Moderators
Why not see about getting someone to sponsor an Indoor Pistol Range? You may be able to get some TGO'ers to do the Labor if you can find a way to scrounge the material. Not Perfect but better then nothing.

No need. We have plenty of options for indoor pistol ranges here. The lack is an outdoor rifle range. Unless you can shoot on private land or spend a bunch of money to join MSSA the is literally nowhere to legally shoot a rifle outdoors in Shelby County.

Sent from my MB511 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Someone was shooting there on two days this past week. I heard audible gunfire in the distance while sitting through the mess that's Farm rd. and Walnut Grove. It took me by surprise since I was positive it was inop. There were vehicles visible and people in the bays. The cars did not appear to be LEO or UC LEO. If they were gov't cars it was something the Marshals would be driving. I got sort of excited for a moment.

It would take some research and lobbying, but with the increase in personal protection by the general population it would not be difficult to show them that they are missing out on real revenue by keeping the venue closed. The problem of course though is that you have what basically amounts to two dem. leaning municipal governments involved AND a 'guns are the enemy; vegetables are the future' not for profit who oversee Shelby Farms. Dirt bikes will never be allowed in the woods there again, and guns will never be welcome again.

What needs to happen is a legitimate competitor to MSSA be opened. Where we hope to be living on the other side of the state, there's four real shooting clubs within a reasonable driving range. None of them have dues over $125, and there's no steep first year fee. If Hyundai was the only automobile manufacturer in the country do you think they'd still be cheap?