The Open Carry Thread

Guest Overtaker

I have been open carrying more lately and everyone doesn't seem to care. I've had a few of those cool gun comments and a few questions about being able to carry a gun. I have used those opportunity's to try to educate them a little bit. I haven't had anyone freak out yet. People do seem to be nicer around a guy carrying a gun though:D

I treated the waitress extra nice to represent normal gun owners as average citizens who aren't loons. I didn't run into any reactions with the waitress, patrons or the folks at the register/behind the counter. It was pleasantly uneventful.

Though this was a good experience, I still feel uncomfortable OCing and will resort to a cover garment most of the time.

This sums up my limited OC experience as well. I've only done it on rare occasions and I make certain I'm extra polite.

Speaking as a witness to others who OC, I usually assume that if they were up to no good, then they would have it concealed. So if it's out in the open then they either have a HCP or they are a LEO. It's only the sheeple who freak out and fail to (assuming they are capable) to think it through.

Guest ArmaDeFuego

I FINALLY saw someone OCing around here the other day.

I was CCing at the Walmart in Oak Grove KY (near Ft Campbell) when I spotted a guy with a Glock on his hip out for all the world to see. I was using my OWB holster but had my shirt pulled over it. Once I saw that dude OCing I thought "What the hell" & I raised my shirt up over my gun & walked around OCing also. ;)

• Moderators

The wife and I went to Lowes the other day and I was amused by something I noticed. Just about every guy who looked like he might work the construction trades had a gun either openly carried, or poorly concealed under a tshirt. By poorly concealed I mean the tshirts were hung up on the butt of the gun.

I see nothing but positive reasons for OCing. I am a tree climber and I am always dirty and wearing T shirts and shorts. I'm not wasting time out of my day to worry if my gun is concealed and I am or am not offending someone. I also could care less about the element of surprise. I'd rather the criminals see my gun and avoid me than have to deal with them at all.

CC is just plain miserable. I am tired of wasting money trying to find that one comfortable CC holster. I do not believe one exsists.

I agree with previous posters.If more people open carried,Tennessee and the rest of the world wold be a safer place.

Guest kirkosaurus
I see nothing but positive reasons for OCing. I am a tree climber and I am always dirty and wearing T shirts and shorts. I'm not wasting time out of my day to worry if my gun is concealed and I am or am not offending someone. I also could care less about the element of surprise. I'd rather the criminals see my gun and avoid me than have to deal with them at all.

CC is just plain miserable. I am tired of wasting money trying to find that one comfortable CC holster. I do not believe one exsists.

I agree with previous posters.If more people open carried,Tennessee and the rest of the world wold be a safer place.

Another voice of reason!

It's been said before and I'll say it again: The "element of surprise" is a great offensive tactic. As a defensive tactic it sucks.

"Do as I say not as I do" is in action here. You flame another poster for giving opinions by blasting him with your opinions. Look up "hypocrisy" on your spell checker.

I personally carry both ways. I have carried my G23 OWB /OCC in my immediate area, without incident as everybody local knows I am a retired USMC MGySgt and a former (not retired) LEO. They sort of expect me to be carrying a gun. It seems natural to them and I don't frighten anybody off. When I go out of town , I pocket carry a 642, to blend in more with my surroundings. Around the house I OCC the Glock or a 640 with my jeans or shorts. Both modes of carry work for me and I don't feel subconscious about either mode. I have never been approached about my weapon when OCCing.

++1

Guest justluck

I'm totally new to the OC debate; but, here's my thought to fuel the debate: I honestly see no need in today's environment for OC. What advantage does it really get you over concealed carry?

If we're doing it just so that the concept doesn't disappear, what is that?? (I keep using my abacus to do math, just so the concept doesn't disappear)

Guest kirkosaurus
I'm totally new to the OC debate; but, here's my thought to fuel the debate: I honestly see no need in today's environment for OC. What advantage does it really get you over concealed carry?

If we're doing it just so that the concept doesn't disappear, what is that?? (I keep using my abacus to do math, just so the concept doesn't disappear)

This thread is not to debate concealed vs open carry. If you are here to criticize open carry, please redirect your thoughts to the appropriate threads here or here.

First of all, as stated in the original post of this thread, this is a thread to share your open carry experiences not to give your opinion on open carry. There are plenty of discussions on this in this forum. Also not to bust on you dude but your comments show your ignorance on open carry. There are plenty of advantages of open carry. Just look around on the OC vs CC debates here. You can get some info here: http://www.wallsofthecity.net/category/exposing-my-piece as well as here: Why Open Carry on the "point" of open carry.

Also assuming you know that someone OC's just to say "Look at me, I got a gun" and is "showing off" is just being dishonest. Sure there may be someone that does that but generally OC'ers have found that from a self defense perspective (among other advantages) OC is the way to go most of the time. I could say that people like you that don't OC are scared to do it and are jealous of us that aren't scared to do it. Would that be honest to portray those that don't OC in this way? No it wouldn't be.

Guest justluck

Excuse me. I OCed when I worked for the US Forest Service some years ago. The experience taught me that OC was unnecessary; it also made me realize that we should have the right to carry concealed without a permit. That is my experience with OC.

Edited by justluck
Guest justluck
Another voice of reason!

It's been said before and I'll say it again: The "element of surprise" is a great offensive tactic. As a defensive tactic it sucks.

Is this your experience with OC or you discussing the merits of OC verses CC?? :clap: , :D:D.

Edited by justluck
Guest kirkosaurus
Is this your experience with OC or you discussing the merits of OC verses CC??

Not experience, common sense. Looking like a sheep and luring a bad guy in so you can try to dig out your concealed weapon and shoot him is not a good defensive tactic. There are plenty of reasons to CC but "element of surprise" is not one of them.

Once again, this thread is not to debate why CC is better and to trash OC. This is a thread to discuss your OC experiences.

Can we get back on topic now please?

Guest justluck
Not experience, common sense. Looking like a sheep and luring a bad guy in so you can try to dig out your concealed weapon and shoot him is not a good defensive tactic. There are plenty of reasons to CC but "element of surprise" is not one of them.

Once again, this thread is not to debate why CC is better and to trash OC. This is a thread to discuss your OC experiences.

Can we get back on topic now please?

Well, you stray off topic at times, so why ding me for it?

Guest bkelm18
These long threads are easy to get side tracked on. Forgive me for my transgressions.

Oh no it's alright, I wasn't referring to you really. Any time an OC vs CC thread starts, no matter how earnest, it will always devolve into silliness. Though to be honest, the whole debate over OC vs CC is silly to begin with. Just go with what you think is best and don't worry what other people think.

I got tired of people looking at me when I would talk into my watch, and it bothered me so much that I started CC'ing so people wouldn't look at me and point so much. They still do, even though I CC. I didn't stop talking into my watch though. Think that's the REAL reason?

Guest justluck
I have a CCW badge and wear it on a chain like Dog the Bounty Hunter.

It is like being a secret agent and super hero at the same time.

LreallyOL. OK super hero, I think I hear your Mommy calling. :)

Edited by justluck
The wife and I went to Lowes the other day and I was amused by something I noticed. Just about every guy who looked like he might work the construction trades had a gun either openly carried, or poorly concealed under a tshirt. By poorly concealed I mean the tshirts were hung up on the butt of the gun.
maybe WE construction types need the "plumber" shirt74585_NVY.jpg-312x312

That is a huge coincidence. The last time I was in Lowe's about two weeks ago, I noticed the same thing. I saw two guys OC'ing who looked like painters. The other guy with them was also packing but his was not as noticeable, as he had a t-shirt pulled over it. This was at the Lowe's on Summer and Perkins. All things considered, probably a good thing to be packin' over in the Berclair area.:rolleyes:

• 8 months later...
Guest Abiathar

I OC everywhere I go in TN and IN as both are OC or CC. When I'm in FL or another state that is CC only then I CC.

I've had nothing but positive experiences till this morning. I was out to pick up a few things at Publix on 96 in W M'boro,and that went off without a hitch, greeted as always and everyone was polite and chatted with me like they always do, even on the occasions I don't carry or CC. Left Publix and went to the Tiger Mart across 96 and got 2 Dr. Peppers like I always do, paid and went to my car. As I was backing out Officer Medina, who had noticed my G19 in a Safariland ALS holster on my hip, waved me down and asked if I had a permit. I told him I did and he told me that I was supposed to carry concealed and asked for my permit. I kindly explained that TN was a OC or CC state and he explained that he "advised for CC" as people call about MWAG. He then asked for my permit and I told him he may not see it as I have done nothing suspicious to warrant him asking. He then asked if I had a drivers license and asked to see that, to which I told him no again as again, I am not doing anything suspicious. He again stated that he "advised" CC. I explained that I am in that store a few times a week and never had any issues, all the employees know me and know that I carry. He asked me to wait while he ran my plates, I'm assuming trying to find anything he can on my to make me show my permit. When the check came back clean, I don't even speed, he then "advised" me to CC again and stated he is not trying to harrass me or give me a hard time. I explained politely that he is harrassing me and giving me a hard time and that I am following the law and he has no reason to harrass me. He thanked me for my co-operation and let me go about my merry way.

This is the only time I have had anything other than a positive reaction and I'll continue to OC, even in the Tiger Mart.

Steve