The Open Carry Thread

Guest Overtaker

Guest bluecanary25

Curious that nobody has responded to Abiathar yet.... I think "he" is a troll.

I have OC'd at that Publix and Tiger Mart. Better'n 4 years. Never had a LEO ask me for permit.

Maybe because I am a mature looking citizen.... and damned good looking for an old flatulent person.

As to the being asked for permit; yes LEO can ask and you better produce it.

So I say this is a phony story.

Edited by bluecanary25

I'd say that it's possible, but the officer could have arrested him if he refused to produce a permit. I have a hard time believing that the officer had enough concern about him toting a pistol but was somehow okay with refusal to produce a permit. Interesting.

• Like 1

Curious that nobody has responded to Abiathar yet.... I think "he" is a troll.

I have OC'd at that Publix and Tiger Mart. Better'n 4 years. Never had a LEO ask me for permit.

Maybe because I am a mature looking citizen.... and damned good looking for an old flatulent person.

As to the being asked for permit; yes LEO can ask and you better produce it.

So I say this is a phony story.

You could be a troll as well.

Guest bluecanary25

You could be a troll as well.

Fair enough.

But check my profile to see how long I have been on this board and my post count.

I do not post as often as you, Hornet22, but I have been a member before you.

Compare Abiathar's stats.

WalMart is not "pro open carry". The last corporate statement I saw is that they allow concealed carry according to the law of the state in which a store resides, but that they also reserve the right to have customers cover a visible handgun or leave the store if it creates a problem with other customers.

Costco had the same policy until Lenny Baby made an open carry scene in one in Nashville; now they are all posted statewide against carry period.

- OS

I had the Walmart "Greeter" stop me going into the 41 A store and told me I had to "cover up" my weapon". That was the first and last time I open carried. To me it's no big deal and not worth the hassle.

• Like 1

I'll re-stir one old pot by saying that the majority of people I see open carrying in TN are far from the best PR examples of the gun owning community to the rest of the rank and file.

Whether this is a fair perception or not is immaterial -- but it does not "desensitize" the average citizen to open carry when the majority of examples look like a cut-rate wannabee Rambo, a biker gang member, or a wife beater bum who lives under a bridge.

Sorry folks, but for every nicely attired/groomed open carrier I've seen, there seem to be three or more of the above. Hell, even I don't open carry as often as I might due to the fact that I don't always take as much care with my appearance to feel that I wouldn't be at least a slight detriment to the cause by going visually strapped.

Again, not my opinion of what should be, but my observation what is, image-wise.

- OS

+1

Edited by wd-40

I ran into a young guy (probably mid 20's) who was the cockiest, most arragant, rudest person I've ever came across. I hope it wasn't because he was O/C. I don't know how he would act C/C or not at all, but this dude was primed for trouble. This is not the first time I've come across someone with an attitude while O/C. That's why I'm so against it. Maybe if I met someone O/C who wasn't presenting themselves as a hotshot, I might have a differant opinion. It just hasn't happened yet....

Short older guy with a long gray beard? I've seen him too. Really.

There's a guy that carries a nickle Ruger GP100 .357 that matches that description. I've run into him at RK and Kroger. His handgun is usualy under a vest with part showing sometimes. He belongs to the Vietnam Veterans Bikers club. If it's the same guy, he tries to conceal but not very well. Last time I seen him, he had a joe s*** gold carry badge on his belt. But I've never seen him completely OC.

Fair enough.

But check my profile to see how long I have been on this board and my post count.

I do not post as often as you, Hornet22, but I have been a member before you.

Compare Abiathar's stats.

I understand where you're coming from. Maybe he is a troll or maybe he's just jumping in with both feet. He may even be exaggerating a little.bit. Politicians do it a lot and we still vote for them.

Guest bluecanary25

I understand where you're coming from. Maybe he is a troll or maybe he's just jumping in with both feet. He may even be exaggerating a little.bit. Politicians do it a lot and we still vote for them.

Thanks Hornet22, not interested in a pissing contest.

Back on topic... most of my experiences with OC have been good.

I have run across a few ignorant people unaware it is legal, but I do what I can to educate them.

If they do not believe me, I encourage them to look it up, get the facts.

Thanks Hornet22, not interested in a pissing contest.

Back on topic... most of my experiences with OC have been good.

I have run across a few ignorant people unaware it is legal, but I do what I can to educate them.

If they do not believe me, I encourage them to look it up, get the facts.

Well I'm all for OC myself. It's nice to see when others do it as well. Wish more folks did it. No problems so far when I do it. I did have a teenager say something to me in the huddle house a while back late at night. I thought oh boy, here we go but then he said he liked it and his dad did it too. We wound up talking guns for a bit.

Edited by hornett22
Guest adurbin

What Wal-mart have you been going to? I have been to all of the C'ville ones with no problem.

Here in the tri cities, its about the only place I ever see anyone carrying. Saw an older gentleman with a colt python strapped to his hip just last night. The gun was bigger than he was lol.

To OC or not to OC? Since so many who CC seem to be offended by those who OC - in fact some who CC seem to be down right OCD about OC - and since so many who CC dress in such a manner as to be immediately obvious to a reasonably observant person that they're attempting to CC and so might as well OC, except that they're OCD about OC and insist on CC even when they should probably just give up and OC...

...I think I'm just gonna' try and find a whole new acronym just to be different. Like AOC or MIC or PFMFOCBITHTWACAIWRTKMSTI. ;)

To OC or not to OC? Since so many who CC seem to be offended by those who OC - in fact some who CC seem to be down right OCD about OC - and since so many who CC dress in such a manner as to be immediately obvious to a reasonably observant person that they're attempting to CC and so might as well OC, except that they're OCD about OC and insist on CC even when they should probably just give up and OC...

...I think I'm just gonna' try and find a whole new acronym just to be different. Like AOC or MIC or PFMFOCBITHTWACAIWRTKMSTI. ;)

+1 LOL!!!!

I don't O/C because I don't want to be the FIRST TARGET of the BAD GUY in a SHTF situation or any other acronyms you can come up with! I want the UPPER HAND and ELEMENT of SURPRISE. Nothing like the BAD GUY saying "Oh S***" when ya pull your toad on him and he didn't even know you were pack'n!!!

I OC everywhere I go in TN and IN as both are OC or CC. When I'm in FL or another state that is CC only then I CC.

I've had nothing but positive experiences till this morning. I was out to pick up a few things at Publix on 96 in W M'boro,and that went off without a hitch, greeted as always and everyone was polite and chatted with me like they always do, even on the occasions I don't carry or CC. Left Publix and went to the Tiger Mart across 96 and got 2 Dr. Peppers like I always do, paid and went to my car. As I was backing out Officer Medina, who had noticed my G19 in a Safariland ALS holster on my hip, waved me down and asked if I had a permit. I told him I did and he told me that I was supposed to carry concealed and asked for my permit. I kindly explained that TN was a OC or CC state and he explained that he "advised for CC" as people call about MWAG. He then asked for my permit and I told him he may not see it as I have done nothing suspicious to warrant him asking. He then asked if I had a drivers license and asked to see that, to which I told him no again as again, I am not doing anything suspicious. He again stated that he "advised" CC. I explained that I am in that store a few times a week and never had any issues, all the employees know me and know that I carry. He asked me to wait while he ran my plates, I'm assuming trying to find anything he can on my to make me show my permit. When the check came back clean, I don't even speed, he then "advised" me to CC again and stated he is not trying to harrass me or give me a hard time. I explained politely that he is harrassing me and giving me a hard time and that I am following the law and he has no reason to harrass me. He thanked me for my co-operation and let me go about my merry way.

This is the only time I have had anything other than a positive reaction and I'll continue to OC, even in the Tiger Mart.

Steve

I would have slapped the cuffs on you. You could have had your HCP revoked for that action as you were in fact violating the law. You do have to show yours HCP any and everytime a LEO ask for it. You just don't have to volunteer the information.

BTW, I have recently found out any "elected" magistrate can revoke a HCP in this state. I saw it happen on Tuesday.

I don't O/C because I don't want to be the FIRST TARGET of the BAD GUY in a SHTF situation or any other acronyms you can come up with! I want the UPPER HAND and ELEMENT of SURPRISE. Nothing like the BAD GUY saying "Oh S***" when ya pull your toad on him and he didn't even know you were pack'n!!!

Yeah, I had a bad guy in downtown Denver, Co. a few years back who was pretty damned surprised that I was "packing." Actually, to be more accurate, I was packing a laptop in a heavy duty case with a shoulder strap and he was completely surprised that, instead of giving it up, I used it to beat the hell out of him "render him a non-threat." It also, I think, caused him to re-evaluate the wisdom in accosting a white guy wearing a black cowboy hat at 11:00 P.M. in downtown Denver. (Surprise can indeed be a good thing!) :D

Edited by Timestepper
Guest A10thunderbolt

I have started OC because its easier for me, no gun digging into my side. I started after I was working in the yard and needed to run to Lowe's, so I decided to just keep my 1911 on. After getting to Lowe's even though I was worried people might freak out (Because thats what I always heard) No one even noticed or cared. I think if more people would OC there wouldn't be such a stigma about it.

If a LEO asks for my HCP I am showing it, No sense in making their job harder than it is. They do work for the people after all.

Edited by A10thunderbolt