The Open Carry Thread

Guest Overtaker

Guest XD9GUY

Although I usually CC, I am leaning towards starting to OC just for the fact that I think it needs to become more acceptable especially here in the South.

In fact I wish EVERYONE who could lawfully carry a gun would do so. I think it would make for a safer world.

A few weeks ago a guy held up the Books-A-Million in Chattanooga at 3:00 in the afternoon. My daughter had left the store less than 15 prior to that. My thoughts are that if there had been 4 or 5 people OC'ing in the checkout line at the time, he would have found another place to go.

Guest kirkosaurus
My thoughts are that if there had been 4 or 5 people OC'ing in the checkout line at the time, he would have found another place to go.

The best reason to OC. Criminals look for the path of least resistance. They will almost always choose an easier target.

The best reason to OC. Criminals look for the path of least resistance. They will almost always choose an easier target.

agreed. i know some argue there is no element of surprise with OC but my opinion, not that it means anything, is that the element of surprise comes when the criminal sees my gun on my hip. He then has two options, take at least 3 JHP rounds from my G22 or move along some place else. Just my opinion.

Guest pfries

I just returned from MI detroit area, I usualy prefer CC although I do OC more than many CC'ers typicaly do.

Detroit was having their Downtown Hoedown this past weekend,I could not make it on {riday when a larger group

Got together to OC down there so I went on Saturday OC'ing. The local LEO's ad on site security were brought up to speed on the

Legalities of OC as MGO had been in contact with them because they were trying to ban it at the event. According to MI law they could not do this.

This was my first time OC'ing in a venue like this with 10000+ people, I was amazed at how few noticed and of thoes few that did how positive the response was.

After that experience I will probably OC more.

And in response to an earlier post I use two seperate rigs between OC and CC

CC is crossbreed super tuck

OC is blackhawk serpa as I want the added retention if it is out there to see.

Pat

Guest Grantonius

I work at a gas station in town, and I love it when i see someone OC'ing (Gives me someone to talk to!). I carry CC when I'm at work and am planning on doing some OC when I get a proper rig.

another good experience today. Had a guy stop me in line at walmart to ask me about OC. He was interested in knowing how many people actually notice my firearm. I let him know that not many do and that i did it for more comfort than anything. He asked me where I took my class and I gave him the business card. I think I convinced someone to become a HCP holder today. I think thats about as positive as you can get. The woman behind him was CC'ing. It was a nice conversation.

Guest whoa5oh

i had a sherriff's deputy speak to me in line at walmart, i mentioned i was goin home to solve a mouse problem, (bait glue boards, cleaner ect) he made a comment that i should use something smaller, i asked what he meant, he pointed to my side and said that might be a bit big ( my glock 22). all in all never had much bad press. other than an older checkout lady at foodlion told me shame on me for not covering it up.

Guest FHTMcrt

Only CC'd since I got my HCP two years ago. When I began doing Process Serving, I decided I wanted to OC, but not in an "In your face" way, so I added belt clips to my Kel-tec P3AT and PF9. Don't know why I didn't do it long ago. Weapon rides low with only part of handle showing. I can retrieve and present just as fast as pocket carry and this is way more comfortable. Have had no comments or "looks" yet...that I know of, anyway.

Sunday: I stopped at Dollar General on my way home after an afternoon of shooting. I picked up a couple of things, but no one was at the register.

I was open-carrying my J-frame OWB (not my EDC, but one i wasn't shooting that day); shorts and a tucked in tee.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the cashier scurry to the register, saying, "I'd better hurry...he's got a gun!"

She was all smiles, obviously joking - then apologized for saying anything at all. Then gave me a $5 coupon for an upcoming sale. Pleasant encounter.

Guest pfries
Sunday: Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the cashier scurry to the register, saying, "I'd better hurry...he's got a gun!"

Sound to me like you were the perfect excuse to get out of an encounter she did not want to be in :D Ironic, I carry so I can get out of an ecounter I don't want to be in :D.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ArmaDeFuego

I still havent tried 100% open carry, but the past few days I've been carrying my XDm 9mm in a OWB Blackhawk Serpa holster. When I pull my shirt over it it sticks waaaaay out & prints a ton. It would be obvious to anyone who knows anything about guns that I'm carrying. The sheeple might just think I have a really big cell phone tho heh.

I might try to carry it sometime with my shirt tucked in. Like I said above tho, I really dont see the point in open carry. To me it just kind of seems like you are trying to show off. "Look at me, I got a gun!" lol

Guest Wiggy

I have OC'd in a few of the gun shops around the Nashville area and some of the gas stations without incident. I'd like to do it more since it's so much more comfortable, but many times I just don't feel like "testing the waters" outside of my normal haunts.

Guest kirkosaurus
I still havent tried 100% open carry, but the past few days I've been carrying my XDm 9mm in a OWB Blackhawk Serpa holster. When I pull my shirt over it it sticks waaaaay out & prints a ton. It would be obvious to anyone who knows anything about guns that I'm carrying. The sheeple might just think I have a really big cell phone tho heh.

I might try to carry it sometime with my shirt tucked in. Like I said above tho, I really dont see the point in open carry. To me it just kind of seems like you are trying to show off. "Look at me, I got a gun!" lol

First of all, as stated in the original post of this thread, this is a thread to share your open carry experiences not to give your opinion on open carry. There are plenty of discussions on this in this forum. Also not to bust on you dude but your comments show your ignorance on open carry. There are plenty of advantages of open carry. Just look around on the OC vs CC debates here. You can get some info here: http://www.wallsofthecity.net/category/exposing-my-piece as well as here: Why Open Carry on the "point" of open carry.

Also assuming you know that someone OC's just to say "Look at me, I got a gun" and is "showing off" is just being dishonest. Sure there may be someone that does that but generally OC'ers have found that from a self defense perspective (among other advantages) OC is the way to go most of the time. I could say that people like you that don't OC are scared to do it and are jealous of us that aren't scared to do it. Would that be honest to portray those that don't OC in this way? No it wouldn't be.

Guest ArmaDeFuego
First of all, as stated in the original post of this thread, this is a thread to share your open carry experiences not to give your opinion on open carry. There are plenty of discussions on this in this forum. Also not to bust on you dude but your comments show your ignorance on open carry. There are plenty of advantages of open carry. Just look around on the OC vs CC debates here. You can get some info here: http://www.wallsofthecity.net/category/exposing-my-piece as well as here: Why Open Carry on the "point" of open carry.

Also assuming you know that someone OC's just to say "Look at me, I got a gun" and is "showing off" is just being dishonest. Sure there may be someone that does that but generally OC'ers have found that from a self defense perspective (among other advantages) OC is the way to go most of the time. I could say that people like you that don't OC are scared to do it and are jealous of us that aren't scared to do it. Would that be honest to portray those that don't OC in this way? No it wouldn't be.

Whoops sorry, I didnt read the entire thread. Just saw that the title was "The Open Carry Thread" & assumed that it was about all things open carry. Guess thats what I get for assuming. :P

I've seen some of the "advantages" to OCing but in my opinion they dont outweigh the disadvantages of open carry or the advantages of concealed carry. But you know what they say about opinions.

At any rate it all comes down to personal preference. Its the same with anything with guns (& most things in life for that matter.) Glock vs other guns, which caliber is better for self defense, open vs concealed carry. Its all opinions & preferences. I was simply giving mine.

"Do as I say not as I do" is in action here. You flame another poster for giving opinions by blasting him with your opinions. Look up "hypocrisy" on your spell checker.

I personally carry both ways. I have carried my G23 OWB /OCC in my immediate area, without incident as everybody local knows I am a retired USMC MGySgt and a former (not retired) LEO. They sort of expect me to be carrying a gun. It seems natural to them and I don't frighten anybody off. When I go out of town , I pocket carry a 642, to blend in more with my surroundings. Around the house I OCC the Glock or a 640 with my jeans or shorts. Both modes of carry work for me and I don't feel subconscious about either mode. I have never been approached about my weapon when OCCing.

Edited by wjh2657
Guest kirkosaurus

I personally carry both ways. I have carried my G23 OWB /OCC ... Around the house I OCC the Glock or a 640 with my jeans or shorts. Both modes of carry work for me and I don't feel subconscious about either mode. I have never been approached about my weapon when OCCing.

What is "OCC"?

Does anyone have suggestions for a guy who is awaiting his permit in the mail? I don't know how I will like OC. I plan on doing the "Walmart Walk" at least once just because most everyone else on here does lol. I guess I will just have to see how comfortable I get with the idea of OC.

I know my instructors for the permit class discouraged open carrying, and they have a good point about not drawing attention, but why should they immediately direct their opinions at us without showing the other side of the argument?

Guest ArmaDeFuego

I wouldnt OC on your Wally Walk. Walmart policy frowns on OCing in their stores & they have been known to ask people to conceal it or leave.

Guest TackleberryTom
I wouldnt OC on your Wally Walk. Walmart policy frowns on OCing in their stores & they have been known to ask people to conceal it or leave.

What Wal-mart have you been going to? I have been to all of the C'ville ones with no problem.

An older policy did indeed say that Wally permitted CC in those states that allow it and only allowed OC by LEOs, but that official policy has since been altered to be stores follow the state and local laws regarding handgun carry by customers. However, they reserve the right to ask anyone legally carrying (OC or CC) to conceal it, remove it, or leave the store. So to say that Wal-Mart frowns on OC is not completely accurate. As a company, they're basically trying to stay out of the whole thing. As to the real world, it depends on who the duty manager is and if any other customers complain or start running around the small appliances yelling "SHE'S GOT A GUN! SHE'S GOT A GUN!". Wal-Mart as a company is trying to stay out of the debate and is primarily interested in getting money from its customers. So long as permit holders aren't frightening other customers by the presence of our guns, they really don't care.

The point of a Wally Walk is to become comfortable with carrying in public, either CC or OC. You do some rather ordinary things (buy action movies, eat some nachos, generally be in public) with a firearm on your person during a WW. By the time you reach the checkout lanes you should be recognizing that (a) nobody noticed your heater and (:D if they did, they didn't care. If your local Wally is known to be an OC friendly store, then by all means, go fo it. If it's a known "cover it up" store, then it sort of defeats the point of getting more comfortable with open carrying if management or store security will be all in your business on your first date. Find another Wally if you really want to OC it.

• 1 month later...
Guest WyattEarp

I don't carry just yet, won't be long, but when I do I'll be carrying concealed. I prefer the element of surprise in the event things go to hell in a hand basket.

In 2009, Marshalls in Nashville West called the LEOs on me while I was in their store with my family. They never said one word to be, though I did see the manager and another customer whispering and gesticulating in my direction. We finished our shopping and went to Ross nest door. Next thing I know, 4 LEOs come bursting into Ross. They make a B-line straight for me. They were very professional and didn't disarm me, they just asked for my permit and ID. I obliged, the first one to arrive asked me how I was carrying. I showed him, my gun was in a leather holster clipped inside my back pocket, just 1/2" of the butt of the pistol was showing. He said I should never carry like that and should not carry it visibly ever. He said the customer at Marshalls saw the butt of my pistol and genuinely freaked out. He got the manager to call 911 on me.

this right here is exactly why OPT-OUT should not be allowed by anyone but federal government properties and city parks, and city/county/state govt buildings.

precious waste of manpower and police resources all because someone was legally carrying. OH NO! :eek:

the whole opt-out thing is a joke. Carrying a handgun with a valid HCP is allowed by the law in this state, and all of these businesses SHOULD BE REQUIRED TO FOLLOW THE DAMN LAW. No opt-out bull****. Opt-Out creates more headaches and problems than it's really worth.

Maybe I should try to Opt-Out of paying my taxes next year?

• 4 weeks later...

The wife and I made a spontaneous decision to go to a local mexican restaurant this Monday evening after I got home from work. I didn't want to swap out my clothing to be able to strap on my piece, so I decided to OC for the first time out of convenience. I was a little uncomfortable because I have the impression that others *think* I'm walking around OCing a gun on my hip because I'm one of those "crazy" gun people, or just a guy that needs a gun to feel macho and/or show off, etc.

I know I probably shouldn't care what others think but, I do. Nevertheless, I OC'd my 1911 in a Milt Sparks Axiom. I'm not sure if anyone noticed. There was only one person in the parking lot, one other customer in the restaurant, and the employees. I treated the waitress extra nice to represent normal gun owners as average citizens who aren't loons. I didn't run into any reactions with the waitress, patrons or the folks at the register/behind the counter. It was pleasantly uneventful.

Though this was a good experience, I still feel uncomfortable OCing and will resort to a cover garment most of the time.