Dropped handgun drill.

First of all I try very hard NOT to drop my handgun and haven't done that, yet, but i'm human and capable of mistakes. I have had a 1911 fall out of a crappy shoulder holster while bending over but that was the last time I ever used that holster. I have taken no formal classes except for the HCP class but I do practice a few situational drills, and drawing drills with and unloaded weapon, I know that practice both mental and physical will make certain habits instinctive, just like driving no one thinks about turning the wheel to negoatiate a turn, they just do it.

Now like I said i'm human and capable of mistakes so I remembered the terrible incident of the police officer not long ago who retrieved his Glock holstered from a jail locker, the Glock fell out of the holster and just like most of us it's instinctive to grab at an object that's been dropped. Well he grabbed the Glock and shot himself in the femoral artery, lived but I believe lost his leg. So I don't know if it sounds silly or not but I plan on getting a toy plastic gun and an oversized holster, letting it fall out and practice bringing my hands up and stepping back allowing the gun to hit the floor. The whole idea is to get the instinct of grabbing at a falling object (handgun) out of my mind and replace it with allowing it to hit the floor.

Please educate me if there's already a drill to cover that situation.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Oaklands

A gun with a safety or a good ol' 1911 will fix this. Just kidding of course, not trying to start a bash glock thread.

However, it would seem to me, your mind would be ready to let the gun go because you have prepared yourself mentally to let it do so. You are taking the element of surprise out of the situation. You could as easily do by letting a plastic cup drop out between your arm and your body.

Guest nicemac
First of all I try very hard NOT to drop my handgun and haven't done that, yet, but i'm human and capable of mistakes. I have had a 1911 fall out of a crappy shoulder holster while bending over but that was the last time I ever used that holster. I have taken no formal classes except for the HCP class but I do practice a few situational drills, and drawing drills with and unloaded weapon, I know that practice both mental and physical will make certain habits instinctive, just like driving no one thinks about turning the wheel to negoatiate a turn, they just do it.

Now like I said i'm human and capable of mistakes so I remembered the terrible incident of the police officer not long ago who retrieved his Glock holstered from a jail locker, the Glock fell out of the holster and just like most of us it's instinctive to grab at an object that's been dropped. Well he grabbed the Glock and shot himself in the femoral artery, lived but I believe lost his leg. So I don't know if it sounds silly or not but I plan on getting a toy plastic gun and an oversized holster, letting it fall out and practice bringing my hands up and stepping back allowing the gun to hit the floor. The whole idea is to get the instinct of grabbing at a falling object (handgun) out of my mind and replace it with allowing it to hit the floor.

I worked for several years as an auto mechanic. After catching several hot things I dropped and getting burned, I have a great deal of self-control in this area. I have found myself (as if in slow motion) making a conscious decision as to catch or not catch. I haven't been burned in a long time…

I worked for several years as an auto mechanic. After catching several hot things I dropped and getting burned, I have a great deal of self-control in this area. I have found myself (as if in slow motion) making a conscious decision as to catch or not catch. I haven't been burned in a long time…

I have done the same thing a few times soldering copper fittings but had to get burned a time or two, I just want to make sure I never shoot myself by making the mistake of grabbing at a loaded handgun. I agree it's more dangerous to grab a falling Glock but I don't want to grab any falling handgun, safety or not. I have told myself to let it hit the floor over and over in my mind.

Have you looked at solid rubber training pistols. You can buy one in the same model as the pistol you will be using so you can practice with an identical gun, but not worry about damage in a drop.

Have you looked at solid rubber training pistols. You can buy one in the same model as the pistol you will be using so you can practice with an identical gun, but not worry about damage in a drop.

One of those might be the ticket, I had thought about making a Glock out of a 2x6.

This is something i've told people who are not very familiar with handguns, don't catch it, let it hit the floor. And also, don't drop it. Actual practice will help more in making that quick decision more instinctive.

Guest Killbot

No matter what firearm im carrying I will not leave a round in the chamber I have tons of hand to hand combat training from both the marines and the army so if i dont have time to rack the slide then my hands will be either grappling someone or ill be taking cover. I know thats slightly off topic but its food for thought. If your going to get a rubber pistol (ducky) I would practice with on top of a door so that when you kick or shut the door the frame will push it off adding a little element of surprise, also keep your eyes on the handle so you dont know when its coming into view.

A gun with a safety or a good ol' 1911 will fix this. Just kidding of course, not trying to start a bash glock thread.

However, it would seem to me, your mind would be ready to let the gun go because you have prepared yourself mentally to let it do so. You are taking the element of surprise out of the situation. You could as easily do by letting a plastic cup drop out between your arm and your body.

The cop who shot himself ended up grabbing the trigger and shooting himself. it didn't hit the ground. If it had it certainly would NOT have fired. I have tested this with an empty pistol by slamming it on the ground.

I generally redirect dropped objects with my foot to avoid the impact trauma. Can't envision this causing a firearm to somehow fire.

Me too. A trick I learned as a young soccer player.

Guest BungieCord

I bought my first Glock from a mom & pop LGS. Pop knew I was a long-time 1911 guy so before he let me leave, he made sure he had my attention and told me if I dropped the Glock, DO NOT try to catch it. Let it fall to the floor.

The funny thing is, over the years, one of the things I've found I appreciate about Glocks is that they got no purdy to rub off. I can't imagine dropping a 1911 or Python and not trying to catch it as it fell, I couldn't stand to see it blemished. But a Glock just can't get much uglier.

No matter what firearm im carrying I will not leave a round in the chamber I have tons of hand to hand combat training from both the marines and the army so if i dont have time to rack the slide then my hands will be either grappling someone or ill be taking cover. I know thats slightly off topic but its food for thought. If your going to get a rubber pistol (ducky) I would practice with on top of a door so that when you kick or shut the door the frame will push it off adding a little element of surprise, also keep your eyes on the handle so you dont know when its coming into view.

I guess you've not seen the video where the jewelry store owner dies after being shot repeatedly while trying to rack his slide.

To each his own, but I can't imagine carrying without one in the chamber.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez
I have done the same thing a few times soldering copper fittings but had to get burned a time or two, I just want to make sure I never shoot myself by making the mistake of grabbing at a loaded handgun. I agree it's more dangerous to grab a falling Glock but I don't want to grab any falling handgun, safety or not. I have told myself to let it hit the floor over and over in my mind.

And I (mostly) learned the same thing after working in a picture frame shop for a few years in high school/college. You only try to catch falling pieces of glass so many times before realizing that it's going to end poorly.

I generally redirect dropped objects with my foot to avoid the impact trauma. Can't envision this causing a firearm to somehow fire.

This is now what I do almost always when I realize either I can't or shouldn't catch whatever's falling. Of course, some things you shouldn't catch you also shouldn't try to redirect with your foot.

In any event, I've gotten much better at not hurting myself with falling objects. Now I just have to work on all the other ways I hurt myself... Glad you posted this, though. I hadn't given much thought to how important it may be to just let the gun fall. As best as I can remember, I've only dropped a handgun once, it was holstered, and I let it hit the ground. No bang. No dings. Much relief.

I'm surprised. Based on that name and avatar, I guessed you would have two in the chamber.

You're kidding right man?

If it falls, I let it hit the ground.

Thats why I carry a Glock, a ding won't make it any uglier.

Knock on wood I've never dropped a handgun, but law of averages states I probably will. Thats why I don't carry a pretty $1000+ Kimber, I would be sick to death of a goober ding on one of those.

Hint one: Bend your knees when you pick the gun back up so that you don't strain your back

Hint two: If you drop your gun from a boat, either kiss it goodbye or revise the drill.

- OS

If i'm on a boat I may think about a lanyard of some type, or carry a cheapo.:D

If it falls, I let it hit the ground.

Thats why I carry a Glock, a ding won't make it any uglier.

Knock on wood I've never dropped a handgun, but law of averages states I probably will. Thats why I don't carry a pretty $1000+ Kimber, I would be sick to death of a goober ding on one of those.

I've never heard anyone brag about their Glock being pretty.

The chance of pulling the trigger while catching a falling handgun are far greater than it discharging from hitting the ground so I will let it hit the ground. That's unless someone carries a 19th century era SA revolver with all chambers loaded. Also some 1911's with no firing pin block but I would think the impact would have to be fairly hard.

Guest Killbot

I also carry a knife for those of you who are freaking about me not carrying a round in the chamber, if someone already has a gun pointed at you a round in the chamber isnt going to stop the round in the air. If i am within 24 ft of someone and cannot get behind cover to rack the slide ill likely be moving towards them with the knife out. first step is to not get shot second step is to seperate the nerves in the subjects forearm so that the gun he was holding drops step three( if its a glock dont catch it) step 4 remember that I'm a baptist and if I fail step 1 that the light is a good thing go to it.

Seriously though I dont only rely on my firearm, if I can talk someone out of a situation I will try, If they already have the drop on me then ill gladly trade my wallet for my life. During my time in the army i've been through about 10 different disarming and knife tactics classes so I have the advantage of some training. One thing stood out very clear in each class if you know you arent fast enough or strong enough you had better be persuasive enough to come out alive if not on top. Also and this is only a joke, If I ever own a jewelry store and I get gunned down on video trying to rack my slide then I will have served as an example for someone on TNGUNOWNERS.com to not do it like me.

Guest rsgillmd
....Now like I said i'm human and capable of mistakes so I remembered the terrible incident of the police officer not long ago who retrieved his Glock holstered from a jail locker, the Glock fell out of the holster and just like most of us it's instinctive to grab at an object that's been dropped. Well he grabbed the Glock and shot himself in the femoral artery, lived but I believe lost his leg. So I don't know if it sounds silly or not but I plan on getting a toy plastic gun and an oversized holster, letting it fall out and practice bringing my hands up and stepping back allowing the gun to hit the floor. The whole idea is to get the instinct of grabbing at a falling object (handgun) out of my mind and replace it with allowing it to hit the floor.

You already know what to do. But I just want to add to the comment in the bold, sounds like the problem was more a bad holster than a dropped gun.

My Sig accidentally fell a couple of days ago in the bathroom when I went to remove a towel from the same shelf I had placed it on. Poor judgment on my part, but the point is I just let it fall. It didn't come out of the holster, and it didn't fire. I was taught to let it fall in my second handgun class.

I also carry a knife for those of you who are freaking about me not carrying a round in the chamber, if someone already has a gun pointed at you a round in the chamber isnt going to stop the round in the air. If i am within 24 ft of someone and cannot get behind cover to rack the slide ill likely be moving towards them with the knife out. first step is to not get shot second step is to seperate the nerves in the subjects forearm so that the gun he was holding drops step three( if its a glock dont catch it) step 4 remember that I'm a baptist and if I fail step 1 that the light is a good thing go to it.

Seriously though I dont only rely on my firearm, if I can talk someone out of a situation I will try, If they already have the drop on me then ill gladly trade my wallet for my life. During my time in the army i've been through about 10 different disarming and knife tactics classes so I have the advantage of some training. One thing stood out very clear in each class if you know you arent fast enough or strong enough you had better be persuasive enough to come out alive if not on top. Also and this is only a joke, If I ever own a jewelry store and I get gunned down on video trying to rack my slide then I will have served as an example for someone on TNGUNOWNERS.com to not do it like me.

By and all it's your call to carry with no round in the chamber. It seems you have weighed your choice. I just want to know what you gain by not carrying a loaded gun.

Mike