Taurus Service

Guest bkelm18

Guest bkelm18

Well, looks like I'm going to be experiencing that world class Taurus customer service. I recently picked up a 3" barrel .357Mag Taurus 605 revolver. Shoots fine in SA, but when you go DA, the cylinder either under or over rotates and doesn't lock by the time the hammer falls causing the firing pin to completely miss the primer. I'll be sending it in this week. Hopefully they won't give me the runaround.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good friend of mine had one blow up on him at the range. An Older .44 tracker. I was standing behind and to the right and a piece of the cylinder tapped my safety glasses. He wasn't hurt, had bought the gun used, 3rd owner and they replaced it with no argument what so ever. (Gun still had 2 reloads lodged in the bottom half of the

cylinder). I thought for sure they would give him a hard time... specially with the reloads in there.

congregational_shoot.jpg

They called him a month later and said because of the way the production runs are they asked if he would mind a stainless model instead of another blued one at no extra charge so they could get it to him quicker... needless to say he said "YEAH!" Six months later he had his new gun.

Some times I think maybe we just don't hear about all the times they provide good service.

(YMMV)

wait, what? Six months is good service?

As was explained to me that model Tracker was not made every month, or every 3 months. They didn't have any and the next batch to be made was Stainless...

They offered:

• To replace his blued for stainless (no Charge)

• Shipping was on them.

• He didn't argue or anything, they offered the stainless upgrade to get it in his hands quicker.

They could have told him to go pound sand!(And rightly should have!) Those reloads he was shooting were CRAP! He got them in a ziplock bag with the gun at a gun show. The previous year at our church's congregational shoot he had problems with those same reloads. How bad?? The crimp wasn't tight and the cylinder wouldn't even turn because two of them lost crimp and slide out from the recoil. I was the RSO on that line and had to clear it. I told him then and there to ditch those reloads, that they were unsafe and not to use them on the line any more that day. He was cool with it. He shot the rest of teh day a new box he had.

Fast forward a year... he's back on the line and I joke with him about having any reloads with him. He assures me he doesn't, laughs, and then BOOM! Looking at it after wards those two shells in the picture had different head stamps. And what did I see when we went over to his range bag?!? YUP! That same old ziplock bag of reloads. :rolleyes:

I thought for sure they would take a look at those two reloads in the cylinder and tell hm they wouldn't cover the warranty.

So all things considered... I think he got EXCELLENT customer service. ;)

It's all relative.

Edited by creeky

It took me 6 months to get my M85 snubby back. The cylinder pin would get stuck and would not lock up with the frame, making the gun inoper...inoperab....a paper weight. Even after it got back it would still stick. I did learn how to remove it and clean it but I sold it asap. I really like the Taurus line of pistols and revolvers. I think they are very inovative and they are affordable. It's just a hassle to have to send it back, even if it is under warrenty. I wish they would get rid of the lifetime warrenty and make a better pistol.

Guest bkelm18

I've owned a few Taurii in the past and they've all performed flawlessly. This gun works great if you cock the hammer first and go single action. :rolleyes: Handles 158gr .357 Magnums fairly well. I just don't trust it at all. Dry firing it the problem only arises occasionally. However, actually shooting it the problem is present on almost every shot. I guess the added weight of the rounds exacerbates the problem. If they don't resolve it I'll likely ditch it and attempt to find a 3" SP101, which honestly is what I should have gotten to begin with but I'm a penny pincher sometimes.

Your friend is lucky on many counts.

1] He shot crappy reloads and survived unhurt.

2] Not only got his gun replaced but got an upgrade

3] Most importantly no one else was hurt

I do not shoot anonymous reloads I have to know the reloader very well I do shoot my own reloads.

Also beware of the reloader that starts off telling you that the reloading manuals play it safe with their loading data and his are more powerful RUN don't walk away.

Guest mudduck

i have a taurus 9mm,the firing pin broke within the first 500 rounds,i sent it back to the factory and they had it fixed and back to me with in 6 weeks,i have no complaint about thier customer service.. all positive experience.

Guest highvoltage

i just had one sent back for repairs lebanon gun shop sent it back for me. to my surprise taurus sent me a new gun. took only 2 weeks guess there getting better with there warranty work

Guest bkelm18

Ok, received an email from Taurus today saying they received the handgun and are processing it for service. The wait begins.

I bought a used Taurus 1911 cheap that stopped working after about a dozen rounds. I figured it might, it had obviously lived a rough life already. :( A tinkerer had "polished" the sear, stripped the bluing off the frame and generally performed a custom destruction job on it.

Called Taurus, they told me to ship it on my dime, but they pretty much rebuilt everything on the gun except the custom "polishing job" on the frame.

Got it refinished in a tougher finish that Taurus bluing and it is a fine accurate pistol. :)

Whole experince took about 6 weeks. Not bad for something they had every right to say "you broke it, you bought it." They may be slow, but I'm happy with them.

Guest bkelm18
Sorry if I offend, but I prefer guns with which I don't need to use the warranty.

Thanks for your input.

Edited by bkelm18
Guest Big-A
Sorry if I offend, but I prefer guns with which I don't need to use the warranty.
If you talk to a shop owner thats been in buiness a while. All brands have an issue once in a while.Glock,springfield,kimber ect . They have seen em all go back. Theres always human error in production once in a while. Taurus is a decent handgun they have been in buiness for a long while for a reason.
Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

Plus it's nice to know that they will work to make it right even when you're clearly the one who made things go wrong.

Guest Ken45

I have a 3" Taurus 605. It's a great carry gun, conceals easily and is comfortable to shoot.

This particular gun has been reliable....however, it took me three tries to get a reliable one. The first one would bind up after shooting maybe 50 rounds. Too tight of a cylinder gap. Dealer sent it back for me. The replacement wouldn't shoot on target, the front sight was bent. Dealer sent it back. The next replacement has been fine. I've had it for a dozen years and it is often my summer carry gun. I think the 3" barrel is ideal although it is hard to find a good holster that fits it. Simplyrugged makes holsters for the 3" 605.

Ken

Guest bkelm18

So far, I'm impressed. Just received an email that the warranty work has been completed and has been shipped (via Fedex Overnight) back to me. They received the gun on the 4th. So far so good. We'll see if the issue has been fixed. I should have it tomorrow.

Guest bkelm18

Ok, not impressed anymore. Received the revolver back today and with about 3-4 minutes of dry firing, the cylinder failed to lock 3 times and over-rotated, which of course would still cause the firing pin to miss the primer. On the sheet they said they adjusted the timing, which they must not have done much since it's doing the same thing with about the same frequency. :)

Ok, not impressed anymore. Received the revolver back today and with about 3-4 minutes of dry firing, the cylinder failed to lock 3 times and over-rotated, which of course would still cause the firing pin to miss the primer. On the sheet they said they adjusted the timing, which they must not have done much since it's doing the same thing with about the same frequency. :)

FAIL