Ak-47 Questions.

Hey guys, I am thinking about selling my AR and buying an AK. I have been looking around and really like the converted saigas that Red Jacket makes. I found them for 639.00 But I wanted to see if anyone had any better ideas on what to buy. Here is the link for the saiga.

AK 47 Rifle Red Jacket RJ132 , these rifles are a great rifle at an affordable price, they are imported Russian AK IZ 132 rifle and skillfully upgraded by the experts @ Red Jacket Firearms . The RJ132 features original Russian chrome lined barrel, si

I am looking for a quality rifle that will be trouble free. Any help is appreciated.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for $639.00 you won't get a better ak. Not too mention that since their show is getting really popular it might actually get some extra value down the road. If they have any in stock you should jump at that price...i have seen them everywhere else selling for $800 when they were in stock. Add in a lifetime warranty and I think this is a much better deal then an arsenal. just my $.02

Thanks guys, the only issue I have with the red jacket is That the barel Is not threaded, but I know I can have this done so it's ok. I do like how they seem to really take pride in their work or atleast it looks like that on tv. I feel I would get a very nice setup from RJ. The arsenal is nice since it does come threaded with a flash hider attached but it's hard to find them in stock anywhere. I guess my next hurdle is selling what I have now.

Guest greybeard60

I got my converted Saiga from Tnguns.com for $500. and am totally satisfied. They are in the Knoxville area and that has been a couple of years ago.

Guest bkelm18

While I'd love to support Red Jacket, that appears to be just a plain-Jane, Tapco-rific conversion, something that you could easily do under $500.

Edited by bkelm18

Most of the Saiga's coming in now have a threaded barrel under that shroud. A little careful dremel work, and it's threaded.

I would only buy a WASR in person. They are notorious for canted/crooked sights and gas blocks. If you can find a WASR built right, they run just as good as anything else.

What kind of AR do you have now? If it is a high quality AR I wouldn't sell it. I would save and buy an AK. I think both have their pros and cons and I shoot both. If you have a low end AR, then I might indeed sell it and buy a quality AK.

I have a JT/DoubleStar AR. It's chambered in 7.62x39 and I have some extra "tacticool" parts on it. I am currently having an issue with it failing to eject spent rounds so I wanted to fix that and get rid of it. I added the MGI bolt and it shoots everything but it stopped ejecting rounds last Saturday. I stripped it down and the carrier key was very loose, I could tighten the screws with my finger so my main thing is I just want reliabilty. I know I could save 400 bucks and buy a cheaper ak and it would work and I might do that, I also have a Keltec pf9 I could trade towards a cheap ak. I am currently stuck at hone for the next 4 weeks due to back surgery so I am working on this to eat up some time up while laying around.

Doublestar makes a decent AR. However, I would prefer a 556 AR. So I might would trade the Keltec and buy a decent, inexpensive AK. The absolute best deals in my opinion on AK's are MAK's if you can find one. You DO NOT need a milled receiver AK. I have Polys that are outstanding, but I would put my MAK's up against any of them. The internet hype of milled receivers is way way overblown. I know a ton of contractors working overseas using stamped receiver AK's every day and they trust their lives to them. MAK's have thicker receivers and the heaviest chrome lining than anything other than old Russian AK's. Take someone with you to buy an AK who knows those rifles. Someone who knows what to look for. There are numerous companies out there piece milling these things together and doing a nasty job of it. A number of them make way more bad rifles than good ones.

Save up some cash and have the AK reworked by Jim Fuller at Rifle Dynamics. You won't regret it. He does the vast majority of AK work for contractors. The work he has done on mine is top notch.

Sell the AR and buy a 556. Then you have the best of both worlds.

yeah from what I have read stamped is just fine. Looking back I wish I would have just bought an AK instead of the hybrid AR that I did. I wanted all the gadgets and style of the AR but wanted to knockdown power of the 7.62 round. I am going to try and trade the keltec and maybe some cash for an ak and then just try to get the AR working like I want it to.

for $639.00 you won't get a better ak. Not too mention that since their show is getting really popular it might actually get some extra value down the road. If they have any in stock you should jump at that price...i have seen them everywhere else selling for $800 when they were in stock. Add in a lifetime warranty and I think this is a much better deal then an arsenal. just my $.02

+1. Their warranty is worth a lot and it is refinished and you know it is right. For another $100 + parts he will do the front end conversion and you're still under $800 for a extremely well built, lifetime warrantied, AK103 conversion.

Fuller does excellent work, but he is also nearly always way backed up and charges a bit much for basic work. I found Will back in the day because I didn't want to wait 6+ months for basic front end work that cost twice as much. Not knocking Fuller, it's just I'd rather pay less for equal work that comes with a lifetime warranty and much quicker turnaround time.

Most of the Saiga's coming in now have a threaded barrel under that shroud. A little careful dremel work, and it's threaded.

I would only buy a WASR in person. They are notorious for canted/crooked sights and gas blocks. If you can find a WASR built right, they run just as good as anything else.

Sort of. You have to also move the front sight forward or get a FH that is drilled out (ie Dinzag Arms) to cover the extra shoulder of the Saiga. The Saiga's front sight is farther back then a standard AK even when it is threaded.