AR-15 buying question

Guest Baddawg865

Guest Baddawg865

First off, It has been a while since i been on TGO. But man am i glad to be back!!

Now on to business.....

I am not very smart when it comes to AR-15's. But I have been interested in getting one. I have done research here and there, but i know where i can go to get some real answers.TGO!!

So here is my question. A Guy i know use to be a dealer and he has a Double Star for sale. It is brand new and is fully stock. He wants 700 for it. Also comes with a 30 and 20 rd mag. I really would like to build one, but is this a deal i wouldn't want to pass up? Like i said, i have never owned one and dont want to start out bad. So whats your guys thoughts? TIA

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Baddawg865

To be honost, i have no clue. Im gonna try to get a pic of it so i can show you guys. All i know is its a stock DoubleStar AR-15.

BTW... wasn't bad mouthing Double Star at all. I have one of their lowers. You can just spend a lot of money tricking out a basic rifle. Just been seeing some good values in used, upgraded rfles these days. You won't go wrong buying that Double Star... until magpul disease sets in :).

If you want the one from your buddy, he's not ripping you off. If you want to build your own, this one won't be one of those "man! why did I pass up that deal?" things later on. Bud's gets as low as around $659 + FFL transfer + TICS for their basic DStars.

mike...why did you have to post that link to Chuck's AR? Sgt. Joe beat me to it yesterday. I thought I was over it, but now I'm crying all over my keyboard again....

If you want the one from your buddy, he's not ripping you off. If you want to build your own, this one won't be one of those "man! why did I pass up that deal?" things later on. Bud's gets as low as around $659 + FFL transfer + TICS for their basic DStars.

mike...why did you have to post that link to Chuck's AR? Sgt. Joe beat me to it yesterday. I thought I was over it, but now I'm crying all over my keyboard again....

That one hurt me, and I'm in good shape with my AR's right now.

Guest Sgt. Joe

I'm sure sorry my friend, I have been after Chucks build since I first laid eyes on a pic of it a good while back, I have asked him several times about it and always got a resounding "NO it wont ever happen".

I was shocked myself to see it posted and had to jump through a few hoops to "Git R Dun" because I knew it would not last long. To be honest I was a tad ticked off at him at first for not letting me know in advance that he was gonna list it, but since I ended up with it I am happy enough and did not give him any grief about it.;)

I picked it up this morning and me and the boys have been fondling it since, it will sleep in its new bed tonight along side a KB4NS built one and an Armalite factory build. 3 is an odd number to be sleeping together so I will be looking for another one or getting rid of the Armalite.

I am talking to someone about a trade deal for that one now and if it falls through I may well list it here, but it is standard like an issue M-16 except for the A-4 (flattop) upper. Standard handguards and a red-dot rather than any Iron sights. It is ready for someone to trick-out to their liking. Or to shoot as is.:)

Chuck has already admitted he really only sold the thing so that he could start another build. It seems to be a mind-game thing with his lady.:bowrofl:

I have built several Doublestars, the two AR's I have now are both DS's and both are excellent. As for $700 for a used one....OK but not a "Deal". You can pick up a milspec lower for as low as 65-100 bucks. J&T Distributors (the parts kit seller for and a division of DS) is at all the major gun shows and you can usually get a complete kit for 499 for a 16" shorty. Putting lowers together takes about 15 minutes. Your friend may have upgrades, better barrel, floated handguards, etc.