Speaking of Doublestar AR's

I went to the range today to test my AR's. I had built a 16" flattop a while back with a chrome lined barrel and put a Bushnell Holosight(just like the early EOtechs). The second rifle I just built, it is a standard A2 20" Shaw Grade 1 hbar. I have been wanting to have an older style for a while, I get tired of having to buy handles and sights.

First the ammo. I loaded 27.5 grains of Winchester 748, WW primers, LC brass, and Midsouth Varmint Extreme 55 grain flat based SP(Hornady's I think), just seated them to the cannelure and crimped them with a Lee collet die. Chrono'ed 3100 fps at ten feet from muzzle. Been using 28 grain load for years with 55 Grain FMJBT's btw.

The 20" really surprised me. First 3 shots hit my B29 target in a nice 1.25" group about an inch above the X. How is that for luck. I never had to move a thing. This is with open sights, my 49 year old eyes, at 100 yards. I was ecstatic. I went on the ding the 200 plate and the 250 yard plate(off a rest) at will. In the famous words of Charley Sheen...Winner!!!

The 16" with the Holosight was easily sighted in and I was able to get several 1.5" groups with that large dot, plus I could also ding those plates at will.

But more importantly, both rifles functioned flawlessly and once zeroed, I can confidently say "Out of sight, out of range". Of course my sight is not that good any more. :bowrofl:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My very first trip overseas I was issued a Double Star. Never had an issue with it. Seemed to be reasonably accurate and was very reliable considering all the moon dust that was attracted to it. Overall I probably fired 500 or so rounds through it on that trip.

I wouldn't be afraid of anything Double Star.

Dolomite

Double Star HBAR owner since 10/2010. Nothing to fear, but I would keep her clean.

Had an experience at the range when the DS wouldn't eject the spent cartridge.

This was after shooting lacquered steel ammo two weeks prior without a cleaning.

I cleaned the rifle real good and no more issues.

I hope it was a fluke.

Guest gohunt
Double Star HBAR owner since 10/2010. Nothing to fear, but I would keep her clean.

Had an experience at the range when the DS wouldn't eject the spent cartridge.

This was after shooting lacquered steel ammo two weeks prior without a cleaning.

I cleaned the rifle real good and no more issues.

I hope it was a fluke.

+1 for Double Star! (or two...or three). I'm not sure you'd call your experience a fluke. I'd say that would be expected. I've always been told not to shoot the lacquered, steel case stuff for exactly that reason.

Guest NBMcMillan

Glad to see a DoubleStar post! Ive had my doublestar since '04, shot countless rounds through it (usually wolf) , and have never had a problem. Great guns! I'd recommend them to anyone. (recently switched from my "coyote" set-up to an Eotech, but I have never had a problem at any distance)

I built my 4th AR from a Double Star Lower and a Delton upper. It does really well.

To the OP, you might try AA 2520 also. It's what I use. I like a ball powder myself, and 2520 burns really clean.

I have used 2520 in my first DS. It was a 24" Varmint. It shot very well with 69-77 grain bullets but was a little slow for the 55 grain bullets. I have 2 lbs for future heavy bullet loads.

I have used 2520 in my first DS. It was a 24" Varmint. It shot very well with 69-77 grain bullets but was a little slow for the 55 grain bullets. I have 2 lbs for future heavy bullet loads.

I hear ya. I stopped using any lightweight .223's a while ago. My Ar eats mainly 75g HPBT with occasional 69g. I have been toying with 80g Amax but I haven't had much time with them. I like the 75g and 2520. In a 1/7 barrel it's really a step up from 55g FMJ in terms of performance. I do keep a supply of 62g'ers for my 1/9 barreled AR. It's great for busting rocks and dirt clods.

I found AA 2520 years ago loading 308 win. There's no better powder for 308 to be had. They call 2520 the "Camp Perry Powder" SO, I tried if for 303 Brit, 8mm, 223 Heck, it worked excellent for everything. I only keep two rifle powders nowadays. 2520 will do all my jacketed loading and I use AA 5744 for my cast rifle loads.