Just built my first lower

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How bad did you curse when you put the bolt catch roll pin in?:D

I found a trick when I did the second one. I have a roll pin punch that completely clears the receiver. I still covered it to prevent scratches, but there was no sliding the hammer along the side of the receiver to knock it in.

The pivot pin detent and spring can be done with a hitch pin from Tractor Supply. Find one a bit smaller than the pivot pin. One with holes.

Line up a hole in the hitch pin with the detent hole. Drop in the spring and detent. Use a punch or something small to push the detent down. Once the detent is low enough rotate the hitch pin. Use the pivot pin to push the hitch pin out. Once the pivot pin is in far enough, the detent will pop in place.

We still launch one occasionally, but much less.

That damn pivot pin detent was the worst part. I bought a tool to do my next one.
I use the utility knife trick. Haven't launched one yet (almost did).

Worts part for me too and I DID in fact launch one, over the fence and into the grass. Delayed my build a couple days.......:-\

Worts part for me too and I DID in fact launch one, over the fence and into the grass. Delayed my build a couple days.......:-\

My Double Star parts kit had a spare spring and detent. I hung on to that. The utility knife trick is just fine if you're real careful. At least I haven't felt like I need a special tool. I also use small needle nose pliers to hold the detent in place while I push it down with the blade. I'm sure the dedicated tool is easier. Just haven't felt the need.

How bad did you curse when you put the bolt catch roll pin in?;)

Found this tip on another walk through: wrap vise grips jaws with electrical tape and use them to install that pin. Adjust them so they slowly walk the pin in, less chance of damaging the finish on the lower that way.

My Double Star parts kit had a spare spring and detent. I hung on to that. The utility knife trick is just fine if you're real careful. At least I haven't felt like I need a special tool. I also use small needle nose pliers to hold the detent in place while I push it down with the blade. I'm sure the dedicated tool is easier. Just haven't felt the need.

That's pretty much how I did it the second time. Wish my kit had come with a spare, I must have looked foolish crawling around on me knees in the grass....

Guest db99wj
Found this tip on another walk through: wrap vise grips jaws with electrical tape and use them to install that pin. Adjust them so they slowly walk the pin in, less chance of damaging the finish on the lower that way.

That's what I did. And put a towel over me while I did it, in case it went flying......like the first time!

Guest 6.8 AR

I used some good needle nosed pliers and some cardboard on the bolt catch pin. The utility knife

is about the best way on the pivot pin.

I've got a couple more lowers on the way. Never can have too many.

I used some good needle nosed pliers and some cardboard on the bolt catch pin. The utility knife

is about the best way on the pivot pin.

I've got a couple more lowers on the way. Never can have too many.

Next time I see you, I'll show you the roll pin punch for the bolt catch. If you add a slave pin from the other side, it takes away all of the anxiety, once you get the pin started.

Guest gohunt
I found a trick when I did the second one. I have a roll pin punch that completely clears the receiver. I still covered it to prevent scratches, but there was no sliding the hammer along the side of the receiver to knock it in.

I put masking tape over the side of the lower so my brass hammer sliding along the side of the lower doesn't leave a mark. Not that it is gonna hurt if it gets a mark, but I don't like to carelessly cause a mark that I could have prevented on a new build.

I put masking tape over the side of the lower so my brass hammer sliding along the side of the lower doesn't leave a mark. Not that it is gonna hurt if it gets a mark, but I don't like to carelessly cause a mark that I could have prevented on a new build.

I tape mine too, and use a brass hammer.

IMG_0547a.jpg