Pistol Carbines in memphis

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

He asked about pistol caliber carbines. I have never heard of anything in .22 being described as a pistol caliber carbine. Am I just missing something?

Guest That Guy

Doubt it. You will likely need parental guardian present because you can't (legally) own, transport, or possess a long-gun unless you are 18 +; 21+ for a handgun.

I wouldn't even publicize that I unlawfully possessed a firearm. Just sayin...

Doubt it. You will likely need parental guardian present because you can't (legally) own, transport, or possess a long-gun unless you are 18 +; 21+ for a handgun.

I wouldn't even publicize that I unlawfully possessed a firearm. Just sayin...

That’s not true; it’s 18 for a handgun in Tennessee.

I remember when I was 18, I could by .22 Rifle bullets but I could not buy .22 pistol :D

They guy would ask me is this for a pistol or a rifle. I would just reply rifle. He would say that is fine, if it was for a pistol I could not sell them to you.

Come to think about it. Now I go to walmart now, I buy ammo, they don't check my ID any more but they do for beer. I guess I look older in the back of the store. Maybe I should get the guy in the back to check me out when I am buying beer. :D

Yep, pretty sure it's 21 for a handgun; and that is federal.

Take a look at a 4473 and it's explanation for question 18.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473.pdf

It's unlawful for a dealer to transfer a handgun to a person under the age of 21. There is no law preventing an 18 to 20 year old from owning a handgun. If I wanted to give my 19 year old cousin down the street a Glock for his birthday, I could. If he wanted to go to the gun shop and buy it, he'd be out of luck.

Yep, pretty sure it's 21 for a handgun; and that is federal.

Take a look at a 4473 and it's explanation for question 18.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473.pdf

As kb4ns said, FFL’s and private individuals don’t play by the same rules. FFL holders can’t sell to anyone under 21, but a Tennessee resident can sell to another resident as long as they are over 18. (Although most sellers won’t risk the 18-20 buyers)

This is the reason many dealers won’t sell to out of state buyers, although they aren’t prohibited from doing so in some cases. They are required to comply with both the Federal law, and the laws of both states involved in the transaction.

18 for possession. ....

You don't even have to be 18 in all cases.

39-17-1303. Unlawful sale, loan or gift of firearm. —

(a) A person commits an offense who:

(1) Intentionally, knowingly or recklessly sells, loans or makes a gift of a firearm or switchblade knife to a minor;

(:confused: It is a defense to prosecution under subdivision (a)(1) that:

(1) A firearm was loaned or given to a minor for the purposes of hunting, trapping, fishing, camping, sport shooting or any other lawful sporting activity...

- OS

So, yeah I was wrong about that....18 for possession of a handgun, but 21 to buy one. Makes sense:rolleyes:

Read my post above?

You don't even have to be 18 necessarily.

And you CAN legally buy a handgun at 18 in a private sale.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot