Introduction of the new Ruger LCP .380

Guest jackdog

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told by my rep yesterday that KelTec has just filed suit for infringement.

The advantage of the ruger, which costs about $15 more than the kel drekk wholesale, is that 1) Ruger has a lot more experience with production so hopefully QC will be better; 2) You can get the darn things. So many of Kel Tec's products become unavailable for a while it is just frustrating.

I'd feel a lot better if Ruger is making their gun under a license from Kel-Tec, but that's not the story we are getting from Ruger.

They soon may be as KT has filed papers on Ruger. I also agree with Creeky on Ruger's apparent strategy.

Guest TNDixieGirl

Do we have any link or documentation we could see regarding Ruger filing those papers? I can't find anything other than forum talk on the topic.

EDIT: Never mind. I see now where Rabbi got it from his rep. I was skimming the thread too fast.

Guest jackdog

So after seeing the demo, I don't see any advantage over my P3at. Not that they were shooting 380 ball ammo, A good choice for this caliber of gun. I use ball ammo in my p3at and have never and a problem. Hey Ruger nice copy of the P3at. For 100.00 bucks i'd try one, But thats not going to happen

Guest Boomhower
I'll be very interested in a field report comparing the two.

My father has 2 on order. 1 at 2 different gun shops, so he should be getting 1 as soon as 1 of the gun shops gets ahold of 1 from Ruger. I have every intention of comparing the 2. I love my P3AT, but I also like Ruger, and every Ruger that I have been involved with has performed very well. I hope this model is no exception.

Kickbacks, golf trips, vacations, paid endorsements. That's what I always think when I read how great a firearm is over all predecessors and competitors.

Just like gun magazines always say nice things about their advertiser's products. Kel-Tec may need an advertising department.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Boomhower
I'll be very interested in a field report comparing the two.
My father has 2 on order. 1 at 2 different gun shops, so he should be getting 1 as soon as 1 of the gun shops gets ahold of 1 from Ruger. I have every intention of comparing the 2. I love my P3AT, but I also like Ruger, and every Ruger that I have been involved with has performed very well. I hope this model is no exception.

Alrighty....I've got a small field report. My dad got one of the two he ordered yesterday, so while I was up there last night, I was able to do a little comparison between the two. These are just some of my thoughts.

Ruger LCP:

1. Is between 1/8" to 1/4" longer.
  2. Trigger guard is slightly bigger.
  3. The slide is roughly .0010 (ten one thousandths if I didn't do that right) of an inch wider.
  4. But it will still fit in a Don Hume back pocket holster for the P3AT. It just needs a little more stretching out.
  5. 2 oz heavier, but it does reduce the recoil felt.
  6. Has a slide lock, which also makes for easier take down.
  7. Trigger falls freely until about 1/3 of the pull, then it catches, but then breaks just before it gets to the end of the other 2/3.
  8. The handle has a groove cut in the top of both sides that your thumb and pointer fingers ride in.
  9. Looks to have mostly the same internals as the P3AT.

Kel-Tec P3AT:

1. Shorter.
  2. 2 oz. lighter.
  3. No slide lock.
  4. Constant trigger pull all the way thru.
  5. Trigger breaks quicker.
  6. Rougher handle grip

My personal opinion.......If I could have the P3AT trigger on the LCP, to me I would have the best of both pistols. The LCP feed everything it was given, and although we only shot 14 rounds out of it, it never hiccuped. I did not think to try to limp wrist the LCP like I was doing with my P3AT when I first bought it (which was causing FTE's), but I intend on getting the 2nd one that's coming and look over it a little more.

All in all, depending on the reliability over time, and if Ruger offers a warranty like Kel-Tec does......If I was looking to buy one today, and had both of them sitting in front of me, for me it would basically boil down to which one cost the least. I honestly don't think you could go wrong with either gun.

Guest eyebedam
My personal opinion.......If I could have the P3AT trigger on the LCP, to me I would have the best of both pistols. The LCP feed everything it was given, and although we only shot 14 rounds out of it, it never hiccuped. I did not think to try to limp wrist the LCP like I was doing with my P3AT when I first bought it (which was causing FTE's), but I intend on getting the 2nd one that's coming and look over it a little

Ok stupid question but what do you mean by limp wristing?