Recommendation on a mid-level 1911 brand/model.

Guest Keinengel

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Keinengel

The thread Necromancer strikes!

Well anyways I figured I would update this since I finally settled on one and got it in a trade from a fellow TGOer.

Its a Springfield Armory TRP Operator armory kote with VZ Alien grips. It looks and feels absolutly amazing in the hand and I can't wait to shoot it this weekend!

photo0029at.jpg

By keinengel51 at 2011-06-03

photo0028t.jpg

By keinengel51 at 2011-06-03

Guest 556or762

I just went to Guns N Leather's new store on Gallatin Pk today and they have 2 Springfields in the 799 to 899 range and a TRP for 1399 that was hard for me to leave there but I already have one so I made it out of the store without it. I would go for the Springfield Range Officer for a decent price on a great starting platform for a future gun build they have a ton of potential and great options for the money.

Alright, I am a 1911 kinda guy. I have played with them in the USMC, and have carried them personally.

Right now I own both a springfield loaded and a Ruger SR1911. My wife owns and carries a Smith 1911.

My springer has about 50,000 rounds throough it and is on it's second rebuild.

My wife's Smith has about 10,000 rounds through it and is still going great. I don't care for the external extractor, but she doesn't care. It will eat the center out of a B27 target with her behind it. Good enough for me.

The SR1911 I have has about 3500 rounds thrugh it with ZERO problems with every type of ammo I can put through it. And at 25 yeards, it will keep a mag full of rounds in the kill zone of a target......Good enough for me!!

With your budget limitations, I would steer your towards the Ruger SR1911. You can find one for about $650, when you can find one, and they have everything you need on a carry pistol, except night sights.

And as someone else already posted, Pine Tree Castings has been "making" 1911's for years for such renouned companies as Caspian etc.They might know a thing or two about building 1911's.

I have never owned a 1911, but one time when I asked a guy that had about 100 that i was in the Army with what he would recommend. He gave me a complete history lesson on 1911's and pretty much shared everything he knew. This is not what I asked him but the only thing I remember him saying was, "Kimber's are pretty and Taurus' may be the best $500 youll ever spend".