Recommendation on a mid-level 1911 brand/model.

Guest Keinengel

Guest Keinengel

Well its looking like Springfield is taking the cake here. ;) I would prefer to buy one that is lightly used so that I don't have to worry about the lovely break in period. Also most of the vendors that are within reasonable driving distance to me either don't have what I'm looking for or have very high prices on them. I'll probably make a wanted post on here sometime within the next few weeks if my search doesn't yield any results.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well its looking like Springfield is taking the cake here. ;) I would prefer to buy one that is lightly used so that I don't have to worry about the lovely break in period. Also most of the vendors that are within reasonable driving distance to me either don't have what I'm looking for or have very high prices on them. I'll probably make a wanted post on here sometime within the next few weeks if my search doesn't yield any results.

I found my TRP on sale at a local shop (Austin's East Tn Firearms) for $1175 out the door. It is a small shop with more special orders and transfers than window shoppers, so check those small shops you never know what you might find in the case thats been sitting there a while. I've also seen some really nice finds at pawn shops, dont be afraid to check em out as long as you know what you're looking for. Keep us posted if you find something

Hi, new to TGO, but long time gun owner. If not for the 5inch barrel, I can tell you I love my Kimber Ultra carry. Perfect compromise for carry and target shooting. It was very accurate and can shoot all day and not beat up your hand like most carry guns. All for ~$900-1000. Just my two cents worth.

Well its looking like Springfield is taking the cake here. :D I would prefer to buy one that is lightly used so that I don't have to worry about the lovely break in period. Also most of the vendors that are within reasonable driving distance to me either don't have what I'm looking for or have very high prices on them. I'll probably make a wanted post on here sometime within the next few weeks if my search doesn't yield any results.

The break-in period isn't a big deal. Any gun to be carried needs to be vetted a bit before being trusted. I'd go NIB myself. Some of the models mentioned here are not that pricey, IMO.

Lube rails with Wilson or TW25B grease. 500-800 rds.

Guest Ken45

In your price range, the Dan Wesson Heritage has an excellent reputation. They are available for $1126 at Bud's Gunshop for example.

The Springfield TRP has a great reputation. From sources I respect, the Springfield Loaded is a good reliable gun and would probably be my first choice although the Range Officer also has a good rep if you want adjustable sights.

I have three Kimbers and will not buy another. Many people get good guns from them, but many people have lots of problems. I did not get a good one and it took me over a year and learning how to fix it myself before it started to become reliable. I've spent at least $500 trying to get it reliable. Maybe 4 out of 5 get acceptable guns. Do you want to roll the dice? BTW, Kimber only recommends three rounds for self defense and two of the three are not top notch rated ammo.

Colt seems to be hit and miss. I don't think I would chance it although their customer service is supposed to be very good.

The S&W E series sounds good (although I don't like the looks of the fish scales) but Hilton Yam did a thorough review on his 10-8 website and it doesn't sound like the E series is ready for prime time. After reading that review, I wouldn't touch one until they work the early bugs out. He replaced several parts to get it through 1000 rounds.

Ken

Edited by Ken45

Ken45, thanks for the tip on the 10-8 review on the E Series by Yam. It does look like S&W needs to tweak production a bit and it is good that Yam has a good relationship with S&W so that they do address the shortcomings he found. I would be bumming if that had been my 1911. But seeing that the 1911 is sort of tinker toy, the spring change issues don't bother me much. That extractor pin deal caused me some concern. As far as a semi-auto pistol being able to fire all types of ammo that can be a little trickey in any pistol with slide velocities vs mag spring and feeding. After reading the review and seeing that cost is around 900.00 I have only one thing to say - Glock:)

Guest Ken45

Oh! Now you mention Glock! LOL. How can you put Glock and 1911 in the same paragraph?:rolleyes::rolleyes::):rolleyes:

A Glock is a reliable, inexpensive gun that goes bang every time you pull the trigger (and sometimes when you didn't mean to pull the trigger). 1911s are expensive discussion items, never go bang by themselves (and sometimes not when it is needed to go bang) and provide endless discussion about making them work, which magazines that work, ammo that will function, how to modify, etc.

Apparently I am not a logical person, I have zero glocks and six 1911s.

:dunno: Ken

Ken45, How about Glock and 1911 in the same picture (see my Avatar).

I think I have owned around 10 1911s, from 9mm, .38 Super and a small pile of .45s. It would be embarrassing to count up the number of Glocks I have had In 1911s I've had several Springfields, several RIAs, a DW, A Norinco and a couple I don't remember. As you might imagine I have more than few gun totin friends in the 1911 club, which gives me a wide variety to shoot if I want to.

Currently my only 1911 is a Mixmaster in .45acp I have put together from free to me parts. It works really well and is reasonably accurate. Hood fit is nice, lugs lock in firmly, link is sized right and bushing is tight enough. I've pretty much done the same thing with a Glock before, making a Mixmaster with CCF steel frame, Lone Wolf Slide, aftermarket barrel and other parts. I do on occasion swap a couple of uppers back and forth on Glock frames, but because of tolerances and design this doesn't pose much of a problem with Glocks as it does with 1911s. Having said that I have another free to me Brazilian Army surplus slide that is nearly 60 years old with a WWII era Colt barrel and who knows what small parts and it works atop my ny Cerakoted old Essex slide. It works too.

The Brazilian slide set up is a little sloppier than the old Colt upper in all aspects but functions and runs accurately enough to launch bullets at bad guys. I've handfitted small parts and tuned up a few 1911s. When I saw that S&W had come out with essentially a series 70 1911 in their E Series and then I actually handled one I said to myself that this is one 1911 I might want spend some money on. From what I have read it is 100% American made which surprises me at its price point. Then I said to myself, you already have a 1911 in .45 that works and you have a 6" Glock 9mm in the 17L. I decided it is better money spent to tweak and tune the two safe queens/range-only guns I already have rather than spend money on another.

P.S. That old Colt slide looks rough on the exterior but was hardly shot at all when I got it. It amazed me how pristine the barrel, link and working side of the slide were when the extterior pitting would seem to indicate a ruined slide/barrel or whatever was stored in or with the slide.

I think of it in similar approach to buying a car or a house. Lots of folks buy the biggest, best car or house they can buy with their cash or credit line. Not all of them consider the costs/needs that don't immediately meet the eye: insurance, maintenance, furniture, etc. Also, you must consider how much time you are spending in/with said asset. If you're home a lot, you spend a little extra for more space. For a car, spend more for the features you will truly use and get your money's worth.

Similarly speaking, don't spend all your money on the weapon itself - consider upgrades, maintenance, holsters, ammunition, range membership, etc. Think of your top dollar as the top dollar for the package of these things.

My personal recommendation would be a good, used Kimber or Springfield.

Guest Keinengel

Been a while on since I last updated this thread so how about now. After much consideration and many recommendations I have narrowed my search down to the Springfield Loaded and the Kimber Custom models. I am looking used. I have recently gotten what I believe to be a pretty good offer ($650) on a Blued Springfield Loaded with a few minor custom parts and I'm thinking about grabbing it. I'll keep you guys updated :rolleyes:

Been a while on since I last updated this thread so how about now. After much consideration and many recommendations I have narrowed my search down to the Springfield Loaded and the Kimber Custom models. I am looking used. I have recently gotten what I believe to be a pretty good offer ($650) on a Blued Springfield Loaded with a few minor custom parts and I'm thinking about grabbing it. I'll keep you guys updated :D

I would pounce on the Springer just because I like their appearance. If you go Kimber, hook me up with the seller of the SA loaded :)

Guest Keinengel

Well after a lot of thinking and weighing the overall cost of this little project I've decided to go another route. I don't reload so .45 would simply cost too much in the long run on top of the fact that I have a few other guns that I enjoy on the range as it is. I'm probably just going to get into an AR or some form of EBR since I haven't done that yet. Thanks for all the suggestions and this will be concluded some time in the near future hopefully. :D

Guest Keinengel

I have no experience with the R1 so I'm not going to judge much but it seems like another No-frills, plain jane 1911 for around the price of $650. Springfield, RIA and Taurus have all been making the same for much less for a while now.

*edit* the Taurus is slightly more expensive but also has better and more features.

Edited by Keinengel
Guest Keinengel

Time will tell on the Ruger fellas. I'll let those get into peoples hands for a few months and see the results afterward. Price point and comparison against the others in the market range will be the deciding factor. It does look pretty nice however. But then again, most 1911s look pretty much the same. :death:

Guest Keinengel
I carry a Kimber TLE/RL for my duty gun. Love it, no problems, and only paid $745 shipped off of gunbroker.

Ahh yes. The TLE Is the Kimber I have been looking at. I was also interested in the railed version like you have. Seems to have all the features I was wanting in a 1911.

Guest Ken45
Ahh yes. The TLE Is the Kimber I have been looking at. I was also interested in the railed version like you have. Seems to have all the features I was wanting in a 1911.

YMMV. Kimber seems to be hit and miss quality wise. I bought a TLE in Dec. 09. I think I finally have it working okay but I've learned to tune the extractor and modify the slide stop.

It has worked okay with my reloads, it's the expensive carry ammo that it didn't like. :)

Ken

Time will tell on the Ruger fellas.

I think the Ruger will be a pretty safe bet. There may be a few bugs to work out, but I wouldn't expect any major problems.

Ruger owns a company call Pine Tree Castings, which has made 1911 components for years. I believe that Caspian, Wilson, and many others utilize investment cast parts created by Pine Tree. I am a little surprised that it took Ruger so long to market a 1911 variant of their own.