The Ruger MK III...

Guest Ken45
The Ruger Mark III is a "politically correct" Mark II. It has a 1) loaded chamber indicator 2) a magazine safety, so you can't shoot in without a mag. 3) a stupid key lock

Mark III mags are not interchangable with Mark II mags. I have converted my Mark III to a Mark II.

I will just keep my existing Mk IIs. Nothing in the MK III sounds attractive to me!

Ken

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can put it together wrong and it won't fire. Have to take it apart and try again. BUT IT WILL ACTUALLY FIT TOGETER WRONG! That aint right.

YES!!! I had to take it apart and put it back together 3 or 4 times before I finally got it right. I couldn't get that little hammer strut (or whatever that little piece is) to fit into the takedown lever correctly. Then I couldn't get the darn bolt to pull back.

It's a brand new pistol (one of the Talo 60th Anniversary editions). I took it down to clean all the factory oil and make sure it looked good to go. I've wanted one for years and never picked one up. Now I can't wait to take it to the range and plink away with it. I have a Smith & Wesson 22A-1 that I play with as well, but it needs to go back to Smith for that bolt recall that obviously never got done to it (I bought it used and didn't find out about it until last week).

Guest forte10

I bought one of these and took it apart to lube the bolt and can't get it back together to save my life. Six hours today devoted to it with no such luck. Hoping someone in Chattanooga area here knows how to put them back together. Case of beer to anyone that can help or it becomes a great looking paper weight =)

I bought one of these and took it apart to lube the bolt and can't get it back together to save my life. Six hours today devoted to it with no such luck. Hoping someone in Chattanooga area here knows how to put them back together. Case of beer to anyone that can help or it becomes a great looking paper weight =)

Jeez man....no need for that much pain. Let me meet you somewhere in Hixson and I will show you all about them. Academy maybe?

Guest forte10

Went step by step per video's and manual. Reached the final step where installing back mainspring housing and after inserting bolt all the way through the top of barrel when I go to push the back down and into the handle it pushes the bolt back out of the slide downwards.

did you pull the trigger and allow the hammer to go forward and if the hammer didn't go forward push it from the slot in the grip, but they generally will fall forward if gun muzzle is pointed down. Then stick the mainspring pin up through the frame so that the pin protrudes through the bolt fully. Then tilt the gun so that the hammer strut falls into its slot on the mainspring housing, then lock in place. Once you do a few times it becomes easier. Tilting the gun too and fro seems a little odd if you are used to working on 1911s, Glocks and revolvers, but darn it if it doesn't work and seem simple when you get the hang of it.

Guest Ken45

If you decide to turn it into a paper weight, I'll be willing to swap you an upgraded papwerweight, one that even snows when you shake it! :-)

Ken

Here's what I used to get it back together. It has good step-by-step instructions including close-up pics. The process is just crazy. Drop the hammer, put in the mag, take out the mag, flip it one way, then flip it over. Good lawd!

Gun Talk Online

Here's what I used to get it back together. It has good step-by-step instructions including close-up pics. The process is just crazy. Drop the hammer, put in the mag, take out the mag, flip it one way, then flip it over. Good lawd!

Gun Talk Online

The mag part only applies to markIII's with the mag safety. If you install a markII hammer bushing, you can eliminate that step. And if you use a small screwdriver or punch or something, you can eliminate the flipping part too. I use a screwdriver or nail clips to push the hammer up (while pulling the trigger) and then insert the mainspring. Works every time.

If you still haven't got it, you can send me a PM and I would be willing to meet you somewhere to help you with it. I have a Mark III Hunter which I have field and detailed stripped numerous times.

I owned a couple of MKII's in the 80's. Traded and ended up with a S&W 41. Great gun. Recently bought a couple of MKII's. I put a VQ trigger/hammer/sear/ext. bolt release and a Clark hammer bushing (big improvement with the bushing!) in one of them and I shoot it better than my S&W41! The 41 is very easy to strip, but once you get the hang of the MKII assembly procedure, it's almost as easy.... but I still pinch a finger putting the MKII together on occasion! Love the MKII's.... one of the best guns of all time, im my opinion.

I have a Browning Buckmark and it is not a joy to strip and clean either although I have heard the Ruger is a bugger. I shot a Ruger MK III quite a bit and almost bought a used one, but heard the same thing you stated so got the Browning (have a good old Ruger P89, not hard to strip and clean it, though, LOL)

It took me and hour to get it completely resembled after I accidentally knocked out a pin..but at the end of that hour it would not fire....four hours later I finnally got that mag disconnect right and now I can completely disassemble and re-assemble a ruger MK3

The first time I saw that lawyered up mag disconnect on a MKIII I was shocked, but as Capbyrd said, get rid of that thing. There is even a guy on rimfirecentral.com who markets a replacement for the loaded chamber indicator. So far mine has not been an evident problem. I figure if it becomes one I'll just grind off that little blade that pops into the chamber.

Guest forte10

Yeah I definitely missed the whole trigger pull part at the end. Finally got the hang of it and have taken it apart a few times since then. Now I can safely go buy another frame to start building out a Tactical Solutions version. :screwy: