Sometimes it pays to sleep in...Longbeard success.

Guest BEARMAN

Guest BEARMAN

Well, after a frustrating opening day yesterday, I was compleatly whipped.

I decided to sleep in this morning and get a little rest, as usually the gobblers are with the hens until about mid-day anyways.

So, about 1:30 I decided I'd give 'em another go, so out I headed to the woods, shotgun and calls in hand, all decked out in camo and accoutrements.

On my way to my ground blind, I got busted by two hens laying down in the field...strange thing I thought, however, it was extremely windy and a might warm for opening weekend.

After they moseyed off, I set the deke's up in the field and proceeded to get comfy in my all natural cedar tree ground blind.

I made a few clucks and a few yelps, to let 'em know the girls were around, and looking for company.

A little while later the two hens I bumped on my way in, came back around to take a look at things. Then they eased off back into the woods and dissapeared again.

About five o'clock I noticed a lone hen enter the field from my right, I thought; alright here we go!

Then another entered from my left and both started milling around and feeding in the field. They payed my decoys no attention whatsoever; as the wind had them moving around fairly good anyways.

About 5:15 of all things, a bearded hen came in sporting a 4" or 5" beard...kinda spindly though.

All at once, back in the woods, a gobble! I knew then it was gonna be a good hunt after all.

About five minutes later I could see the 'ol boss gobbler entering the field from my left; spitting, strutting and a drumming and generaly putting on a show to behold for the gals!

At 5:30 the hens finally gave me some separation, and the 'ol boss gobbler turned and gave me the shot opportunity I had been waiting for....KABOOM!...the Mossberg 835, 3.5" magnum rang through the hills of Tennessee with a vengence.

With a few flaps of the wings; 'ol boss had finally had met his maker, he lay still on the green of the field...deader than a sack of hammer's.

He was mine, no need to run and try and keep him from running, or flying away; the 835 had done a magnificent job of busting 'ol Tom turkey today.

Needless to say; sometimes it pays to sleep in!...:)IMG_1361.jpg

22 pounds, 10" beard and an inch and an eight spurs .

IMG_1362.jpg

Edited by BEARMAN
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've called a bunch of jakes up and one ok Tom. Did call a real good one up but he held up at around 60 yards. Seen him twice since then and both times he has had a hen with him. If anyone wants to kill a few jakes I've got a bunch to pick from.

Guest BEARMAN

Good luck guys...remember, if he's got hen's with him, then try and mimick every sound she makes. This will either make her mad, or make her curious.

Odds are she'll come in to investigate; and bring ol' big boy tagging along right behind her!