What would you do?

Guest CrazyLincoln

How would you react if all firearms were banned in the US?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. How would you react if all firearms were banned in the US?

• I would obey all the laws, however, fight vigorously to have my rights restored.
    • I would discreetly keep firearms illegally for personal/family protection.
    • Molōn labe!

Guest CrazyLincoln

While this is totally hypothetical, and I do not advocate the breaking of laws, I pose this question to you:

How would you react if a democratically elected government was able completely ignore the 2A to outlaw all firearms in the US (much like in England or Australia)?

Just figured I'd throw it out there.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While this is totally hypothetical, and I do not advocate the breaking of laws, I pose this question to you:

How would you react if a democratically elected government was able completely ignore the 2A to outlaw all firearms in the US (much like in England or Australia)?

Just figured I'd throw it out there.

I don't advocate breaking laws either...but I also realize that laws are a finite set of rules that attempt to govern an infinite set of situations.

to ban firearms and remove my ability to protect myself and my family is unacceptable. Criminals certainly don't follow the laws, nor do they participate in a society in a good way. When fascism has the tacit approval of the government, that government becomes a tyranny. When there is no other recourse or redress against that tyranny...well, then its time to cut heads.

I guess I'd find out how many folks were headed to Washington to eradicate the congress and the supreme court and put some folks in there with some common sense.

by the way, can't we just pay congress to NOT pass laws? It seems to me that they keep mucking up everything just so they can say they did something.

I, of course didn't not vote that I would turn in my handguns. But I'll bet the vast majority of people, including the folks on this board, actually would comply. That's sad.

The first step will probably be to prevent private trading, so you better do it now with people who don't require you to identify yourself. Or watch the obits and make a list of people who die after you "sell" them your guns.

Guest Halfpint

WOLVERINES!!!!!

I don't have much "off the record" but if Big Brother came house to house, a few of them are hidden well enough that even if they got the majority, there are a handful that would escape discovery.

The possibility of this occurring all at once... ban and confiscation, 'POW', is very small. It's far more likely that the antis will simply try to keep gun owners on the defensive; if we're simply trying to hang on to what we have, then we can't gain any ground. Thankfully, at this point we do actually seem to be gaining ground...

If a ban was announced tomorrow, by executive order perhaps, and the police and NG were ordered to go door to door and collect firearms... they wouldn't find me, much less my guns. Even if the government put all of their resources towards confiscation, it would take years, if not decades for them to succeed (if they could at all)... It would turn into another 'war on drugs' scenario, and turn another large chunk of the population into criminals. I don't mind being a criminal if the law is wrong.

(*First off... I'm not trying to make anyone mad.)

I wonder how many people would actually "take up arms" if that was to happen. I have friends all the time who love to spout out "From my cold dead hands" and "Come and take them" when ever the subject comes up. That sounds good and emotional, but I wonder how much thought really goes into that.

If that knock came at your door (if you were even home) are you really prepared (not in the armament, but in the logical rational mindset) to really make some sort of grand stand and scrafice not just yourself but everyone that is inside that house? Your wife? Your kids? Because make no mistake, you pull that trigger and that house and everyone in it are pretty much history.

Some yeah... they can have the ones that they have on file. But not the ones I got hid! Let's look at that argument logically for a moment. What good is a "hid" outlawed gun for self defense? Unless you lived in a very rural area (where no one would hear the shot and report you) and could "Shoot - Shovel and Shut Up", you're still pretty much screwed. The gun is gone, you are gone, and your spouse is pretty much would be in trouble as well. Then if they wanted to get real nasty, what Child Protective Services? If they can outlaw guns why can't they say that the children are in danger just by having the "guns" in the house?

What else are you going to do with it? Wait for some "Revolutionary War" scenario so you can rush out, dig up that old SKS and ammo and join in the "cause"?

The battle is in the courts, the "Fighting" is now. It's in the break rooms, and the kitchen tables in America. It's using logic in presenting the facts of gun ownerships and it's benefits to society. It's arming others with knowledge and the truth about Firearms. A semi-automatic firearm is completely useless until used, the same way with the voting public. They are useless until organized, involved, engaged and become pro-active with regards to Gun Rights. A flurry of well thought out emails to Representatives, well written letters to the editor, or taking some one who has never fired a firearm to the range... that is the real power, and scares the "anti-gun" crowd (and our representatives) a whole lot more than any weapon that they have tried to ban.

I am not trying to insult anyone for their opinions. It just seems very easy to say "Yeah! Come and get them" without putting much thought into what that really means. The cause and affect of your actions. I'd rather see polls

on "The best ways influence legislatures", or threads on "How to right a good letter to the editor". (Granted these are covered here at TGO in other threads, that is one reason I like the board so much! :D )But sometimes when I see threads like these, It seems these become "How I will stand against the deviled hoard" and littered with bumper sticker sayings. Please don't misunderstand me, I know we have a lot of very active people here that are always writing letters, sending emails and inviting people to the range. And for one am very thankful for it.

They could have the guns I still possess I suppose. But the rifle and hangun I sold face to face at a gun show last month are gone.

I guess they will just have to take my word on that :D

I agree with MLTN that it will not happen in one big swoop overnight. We will have advance warning about it. I also guess there would be a time frame where they ask you to voluntarily bring your guns in.

Just remember a vote for Obama will keep your hunting rifles safe. After all he is not after them.

Unfortunately I don't have any firearms that the gov't doesn't know about. I would pretty much be screwed because it is likely that (unless you have A LOT of land) they would leave any area of your home untouched if the search and seizure were to be inacted.

This is where the problem lies. Sure, they could get lists and go out and find those people that are on the list but eventually it would amount to physically going house to house en masse and removing the firearms they find. Then, what's next? Your right to speak your mind?

Guest readyornot

I make it a point to have at least 2 handguns, a 12 ga. shotgun and a30.06 rifle which were either handed down from my grandfather when he died or acquired from individuals with no paperwork. This is just a small portion of my gun collection but I'm not taking a chance on registering everything and giving them a checklist when they need it. Buy your ammo up now before they start marking it and registering it as well. Just like my forum name "you can be ready or not", I choose ready.

Guest jackdog

If this were to happen and I doubt that it ever will. The politicians would be in voilation of thier oath of office, to uphold and defend the constitution. I would view the law as being not legal. They want my guns, fine then they have to take them by force.

I did not vote as I won't know until I have to, but I think a better question would be if the tornadoes a couple of weeks ago had hit the whole state, and the governor activated the NG and we got "federal aid" in the form of active duty military, and then suspended the right to have guns, then what? Katrina part II anyone?