Electrical help ?

I just bought an outdoor cheapo motion light. The light doesn't have a ground it only has a black and white. It gonna be mounted on a wood pole with a switch on the pole.This was already in place from another light. Do I cap the ground, wrap it around one of the mounting screws or take it back. I 'm mainly going to flip off and on as needed its next to the lake so I really don't plan on using the motion because pi**ing off the fishermen. I hate being stupid but electricity scares me espicially next to the lake. BTW I checked the reviews and everybody was more pleased with this light than any of the pricier ones. the down side it just looks cheap "plastic"

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You said it didn't have a ground; only black and white. You may know this but you can't cap either of those. They both have to be connected to their respecting wire. If it does have a bare or green wire the you could prob cap it off. I'd just ground it to the case like enfield said.

Thanks guys I hate to be stupid but My hot line has the black , white and the bare copper. I just had the switch turned off and taped off with wire nuts on the end for years now that I redid a section of dock I figured my go ahead and put up a light since I already had a switch with wire I've never just seen a light or anything with out a ground . I had an old halgen that came off the garage that I replaced but it didn't have a ground and had the cloth like covering on the wires plus it put off major heat when it was on.so I was scared of it. This house was started by an engineer in 1964 him and his wife built it by themselves They used it for a ocasional lakehouse They never finished it and sold it in 1990 I lived next door and new them very nice people but some of the things are a "little odd" to say the least

Sorry off topic