blue herons "not that anybody cares"

herons254.jpgNever seen so many herons this yearFirst few pics are blues nesting next to me. the last one are night herons in a tree and slip in my back yard

herons251.jpg

herons259.jpg

herons250.jpg

this tree usually 10 or more in it there's 3 in this pic

herons196.jpg

herons201.jpg

Ok bird watching is over I know its not as exciting as a black panther.

I'm just bored

Just can't believe how many there are this year

Edited by laktrash
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great pics. Oddly enough I usually see a few up this way hanging out in creeks. Weird to see.

Oh, there's Great Blue Heron's in most of the US, even up through Maine and lower Canada.

They're even in the major drainage creeks here in Knoxville urb, the ones you can develop film in.

great-blue-heron_clip_image002.jpggreat-blue-heron_clip_image002.jpg

I'm not really sure what those smaller guys are in LakTrash's pix, though I've seen them often, too. They seem to have quite short legs. Not Great Blue's?

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Oh, there's Great Blue Heron's in most of the US, even up through Maine and lower Canada.

great-blue-heron_clip_image002.jpggreat-blue-heron_clip_image002.jpg

I'm not really sure what those smaller guys are in LakTrash's pix, though I've seen them often, too. They seem to have quite short legs. Not Great Blue's?

- OS

they're night herons actually "black crowned night herons" the tree in my back yard is full of them I have more pics of them just didn't want to post to many

they're night herons actually "black crowned night herons" the tree in my back yard is full of them I have more pics of them just didn't want to post to many

Ah, good to know their real name since I've seen them so often all my life but never knew, thanks.

- OS

I care too!! I like 'em!! Thanks for posting the pictures. I think the herron is the original avian "tough guy". They look funny, are carnivorous, and no other creatures bothers them. HEHEHE. Seriously, i love these things (...especially the blue ones...). They are a great creature.

BEARMAN: I bet they dont taste like chicken. I think they taste like frogs, but too tough to eat. All in keeping with their "bad guy" image.

Keep up the good work.

leroy

lak:_______________

Are the second, third, and fourth pictures (...in the holly tree; i love them too!!...) Kingfishers? I love the fourth one!! It's the ole "...what are ya doin?! ..."l ook.

Great pictures.

leroy

lak:_______________

Are the second, third, and fourth pictures (...in the holly tree; i love them too!!...) Kingfishers? I love the fourth one!! It's the ole "...what are ya doin?! ..."l ook.

Great pictures.

leroy

No they are called "night herons" although we do see some kingfishers ever so often. I guess I'm blessed to be able to see all theses creatures , but I'll pass on the geese don't care anything about having them in my yard. "Grass killing crap machines"

....No they are called "night herons" although we do see some kingfishers ever so often. I guess I'm blessed to be able to see all theses creatures , but I'll pass on the geese don't care anything about having them in my yard. "Grass killing crap machines" ...

Thanks for the info. I need to read up on these guys. I think you are, indeed, blessed to see all these great creatures. The goose comment is great; and right on target.

Thanks again,

leroy

Guest Drewsett

Great pics. I've always been a fan of the Great Blue Herons, but as I've never owned a boat larger than a canoe, I've never had to deal with any messy problems because of them. I knew there were other kinds of herons, just never knew what they looked like. Now I do. Thanks!

We like the Herons and have never had a problem with them. The geese are a different story. I make a point of trying to spot their nests this time of year, and hit the egg from a safe distance with a BB. If the egg doesn't hatch, they usually move elsewhere. Just three years ago we used to have about 30 geese living on our cove. We're down to about 10. These are not migratory geese, but 'welfare geese' that hang around all winter, stealing dog food, crapping everywhere, and generally being a PITA.

We like the Herons and have never had a problem with them. The geese are a different story. I make a point of trying to spot their nests this time of year, and hit the egg from a safe distance with a BB. If the egg doesn't hatch, they usually move elsewhere. Just three years ago we used to have about 30 geese living on our cove. We're down to about 10. These are not migratory geese, but 'welfare geese' that hang around all winter, stealing dog food, crapping everywhere, and generally being a PITA.

We rent out the house next door that we own. Our danes can't go ther over because of invisible fencing. Last year we had droves of the miserable creatures. I found out the lady was feeding them.Only after We put down fresh sod "blue grass and fecue combo their favorite" did I find this out. The yard was rank with the smell as I was watering the sod daily I nicely requested not to feed . But what I did was run some weed eater line about 12" to 15" above the ground around the bank .we have rip rap. this discourages them from coming in from the lake they don't like the line and won't cross it. It won't stop them but it will slow them down. Thats best that I can come up with. Wildlife is pretty picky about how you get rid of them.

Edited by laktrash
Guest Aces&8s

I love them, too! We have had one summer in our neighborhood every year for the past 12 years or so. I love watching it fish minnows and frogs out of our creek.

Here it is acting like a windvane on our barn:

GEDC0025.jpg

I think what I have is the "night herons" I think the "green heron" is a little smaller with a little more color we have seen some of these also. I could be wrong because I'm no expert on wild ife just going what they look like . I remember when I first moved here you rarely saw a "blue" and if you did they quick to move on now as you see there's plenty and not near as skiddish

I love them, too! We have had one summer in our neighborhood every year for the past 12 years or so. I love watching it fish minnows and frogs out of our creek.

Here it is acting like a windvane on our barn:

GEDC0025.jpg

Good pic "just hangin' out"