Montana: Outlaw guns and we'll secede

Montana steps up regarding DC v. Heller.

"

HELENA—Secretary of State Brad Johnson joined the many other Montanans who have weighed in on the DC v. Heller case currently before the U.S. Supreme Court. A letter to the editor from Johnson appeared in today’s Washington Times, urging the court to protect an individual’s right to bear arms.

“This is an important issue for Montanans,†Johnson said. “Many of Montana’s elected officials spoke out on this issue; I am proud to be among them.â€

The letter can be found at this link.

Johnson’s letter argued that Montana’s agreement with the United States to enter the union included Montana’s constitution at the time, which guaranteed the right of “any person†to bear arms. He urged the Supreme Court to uphold an individual rights interpretation of the Second Amendment, rather than a collective interpretation, as best in keeping with Montana’s Compact with the United States.

Many other elected officials around Montana have concurred in a statement of the same argument, in a bipartisan effort to defend Montanans’ individual right to keep and bear arms. The list of officials, as well as their resolution, can be found at: http://www.progunleaders.org."

http://sos.mt.gov/News/archives/2008/February/2-19-08.htm

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me guesses that if somehow this seccession was pulled off they would not allow a lot of migration to their state. Can you imagine all the gun owners trying to move there? The place would be over run.

I also guess that it is not going to happen, Montana starting their own country and all.

While I don't disagree with the intent of the Montana secretary of state, his arguments are clearly specious. When the original 13 states under the Articles of Confederation ratified the new Constitution of the US of 1787, a number of them tried to reserve certain rights in their state ratification process. Most notably, they reserved the right of secession. Not all of these states were southern, BTW.

Well, you either ratify the Constitution and come into the USA or you don't. You can't sorta' ratify it until it doesn't suit you. This was decided long ago, especially in the 1860s at the cost of 600,000 men.

This is just nonsense. I don't care how many "Montana lawmakers have concurred in a resolution raising this contract-violation issue." The world is full of fools in legislatures.

Edited by Marswolf
Guest CrazyLincoln
What's the other name? Baghdad on the Mississippi?

Kingdom of his Royal Highness Dr. Willie W. Herenton whose divine right comes from continuing the fight against "rich, white businessmen", TN

Oh, if only it were that simple. They will rule that firearms ownership is an individual right..that they can limit for safety's sake, thereby nullifying the original intent.

Hang on, it's going to be bumpy ride fellers.

If they rule against us, we will ignore them.

That's exactly what I'm intending to do, if we got just 20 million of the 80 million gun owners to just say no, and we will shut down business and commerce until you retract that ruling and apologize for crapping on the constitution, I think we could force a change. I think Thomas Jefferson would want us to do that.

There's not 20 million gun owners that can stay away from Kroger for longer than a week unfortunately.

Yep, and that's sad. But they had still better build alot of jails to house all the gun owners who refuse to turn in their firearms.

Or just plan to shoot us.

Remember what the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on">US</st1:country-region> government did to the <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pNew Orleans</ST1:p</st1:City> residents after Katrina? Does anyone remember seeing the Feds attacking an 70 or 80+ year woman with a news crew capturing the event inside her home? Why? Because she had a revolver and they wanted her to surrender her firearm and leave her home.

Edited by threeshot
Weird cut-and-paste issue from Word to Post Reply fixed
Remember what the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on">US</st1:country-region> government did to the <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:place w:st="on">New Orleans</ST1:place></st1:City> residents after Katrina? Does anyone remember seeing the Feds attacking an 70 or 80+ year woman with a news crew capturing the event inside her home? Why? Because she had a revolver and they wanted her to surrender her firearm and leave her home.

I remember that very well, they are capable of attacking and injuring a little old lady. The very definition of Jack Boots.

Guest canynracer
Remember what the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on">US</st1:country-region> government did to the <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:place w:st="on">New Orleans</ST1:place></st1:City> residents after Katrina?.

Ummmmm WHAT??????!!!!

I am with FADT (Fathers Against Drunk Typing) and I think you have a problem...LOL...

Guest CrazyLincoln

I don't think it will be that bad. Has no one noticed that we "the people" have made 2 major changes against congress' will. We stopped the port deal, and stopped amnesty. We "the people" may let them bend the line, but I think a complete invasion of our rights would not be tolerated. I know the SCOTUS judges are not blind to this. They may not be accountable to "anyone", but NO government agency is above the people. They may be above a person, but not "the people"