Yeah, but Thunderbolts were somewhat problematic with no-fires before I put the VQs in.

Not nearly as bad as Rem Golden Bullets have become in last year or two, though.

Bang bang ffft bang fft bang bang bang fft fft..

I'd rather they didn't go off at all than the underpowered ones.

Was at range Friday, a dad and his kid...had Colt .22 AR, giving him a fit. Golden Bullets. We loaded his mag with my Blazer 40 gr leadheads, flawless.

- OS

I don't shoot enough .22 to keep track. I have a VQ hammer in my rifle too. Minimags seem to always work. I shoot those mostly. I only have one unopened box of Winchester bulk. The rest of my ammo is on the higher end of the scale.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...The rest of my ammo is on the higher end of the scale.

Lordy, if I had to shoot only the highest priced .22 I wouldn't be much involved. :D

My fav bulk right now is the Blazer. Maybe three bricks so far, not one single misfire or noticeably underpowered round in rifles or pistols. Garufa says it's about as accurate as anything he has tried, too.

- OS

Guest m&pc9
My 10/22s like Thunderbolts just fine. The ones that go off anyway.

- OS

I had two bricks of thunder bolts. I put them in a Glenfield 75, A Berreta neo 22 pistol and a S&W 15-22. None of them would shoot more than 6-7 rounds at a time. I think I got a bad batch.

I actually use factory Ruger parts when doing my trigger jobs. My Charger I just sold had the highest trigger pull of any of my 10/22's and it was 2 pounds 4 ounces. My primary 10/22 has a 100% reliable sub 2 pound trigger.

Dolomite

Must share...

I had two bricks of thunder bolts. I put them in a Glenfield 75, A Berreta neo 22 pistol and a S&W 15-22. None of them would shoot more than 6-7 rounds at a time. I think I got a bad batch.

Nope....they just suck. I did the exact same several times over the past 2 or 3 years. failure rate is about 10%. It is simply awful and they are really damaging their reputation by selling that crap.

I use the How-To at Rimfire Central. Basically recut the engagement angle on the hammer. I also polish the front of the sear where it contacts the hammer hook, not much but enough to shine it up. I polish the rear of the sear where it contacts the hook on the disconnect. Next I installed trigger, hammer and sear shims to tighten everything up. If you have side to side slop it is harder to keep tolerances as tight as they need to be in order to have a nice light and reliable trigger.

After that I swap a few springs in to replace the factory ones. One of the easiest ways without the need for new springs is to swap the sear and the trigger plunger springs. This will reduce the trigger pull some on its own.

And finally I drill and tap the trgger for an overtravel stop. This makes the trigger feel a lot better than it is. It has taken me a lot of ruined triggers to figure out what works. It is a slow and tedius process especially once you get down in the 2 pound and under range. Basically, hit the surfaces with a stone a few times, reassemble, test fire and do it all over again. The key is to get as close as you can without goign too far.

Stoning the Hammer - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Dolomite