Would you help round up guns?

so if we have a law now that specifically states guns cannot be rounded up in times of emergency how would Johnny Law get to do this? wouldn't any command to do that be in direct violation of the laws they are sworn to uphold?

I wish we could give BPs(brownie points) on this forum because your post deserves them. The N.O. gun confiscation wasn't a federal or even a state order, but an order from the mayor and police chief. Had a state law been in effect they would have violated it even though they violated the constitution anyway.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno about the rest of the state but I do not see them ordering gun confiscations around here. I am sure that NO did not think it either but things are not that wacked out here. this is a much more stable area, not near as much gang problems and crime in general.

The people in power in Knox County would never be able to pull it off.

Way too many gun owners.

But say they did decide to do this for some unforeseen catastrophe. Where do they begin?

They will have a hard time finding guns here. Way to many hiding places out in the woods.

N.O. is an ultra-liberal welfare city, just look at the Mayor they elected and I'm sure the police chief was as ultra-liberal as Nagin so it was easy for them to give that order, just as it would be in San Francisco or Boston etc.

There was a vast difference in Mississippi, read the speech Governor Haley Barbour gave.

Remarks by Governor Haley Barbour (R-MS) at NRA's "Celebration of American Values" Conference in Washinton, DC -- 9/21/07

http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/Speeches.aspx?ID=52

From the speech:

But during Katrina, which we didn't foresee, I also got exposure to what the other side thinks when Louisiana tried to confiscate the guns of innocent people. In Mississippi, I signed an emergency powers declaration that firearms may not be seized from law-abiding citizens during a time of emergency. <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P></O:P>

<O:P></O:P>

That emergency order is still in place and will remain in place as long as I am governor. And since I'm up for reelection the first Tuesday in November, I hope it'll be for least four more years. <O:P></O:P>

But, you know, at a time when you have been struck by the worst natural disaster in American history, I can't think of a worse idea than to disarm law-abiding citizens. <O:P></O:P>

Now, we didn't have the kind of things happen in Mississippi that happened in New Orleans, but we did have some looting. We didn't have a lot of looting, and I think maybe one of the reasons was that the night after the storm, I said on television that people who shoot looters in Mississippi won't be prosecuted. <O:P></O:P>

To me, looting is like grave robbing; I mean, it's abominable. <O:P></O:P>

We had many merchants and stores who, after the storm -- and particularly in the grocery business and people that had products that were going to deteriorate, they were giving food away. They were giving things away that were going to spoil. <O:P></O:P>

But for somebody to be going around stealing television sets and guns -- by the way, one of the most stolen items among the small amount of looting we had were guns -- people who lost very valuable gun collections. <O:P></O:P>

But I think we have to trust the people, trust law-abiding citizens. <O:P></O:P>

That's why, since I've been governor, Mississippi has passed what we call the castle doctrine, to allow law-abiding citizens to defend their homes, to defend their businesses against criminals. And, I'm glad to tell you, it not only passed, but it passed by a very large margin. In fairness, a lot of Democrats voted for it. It was not a partisan issue. <O:P></O:P>

In the same way that we make it legal for law-abiding citizens to use guns to protect themselves and their property, we're focused on taking guns away from criminals and for punishing criminals that use guns in crimes.

Edited by K191145
We didn't have a lot of looting, and I think maybe one of the reasons was that the night after the storm, I said on television that people who shoot looters in Mississippi won't be prosecuted.

I wonder if any looters were shot. If not I also wonder if the Gov has the authority to decide who gets prosecuted and who does not.

I wonder if any looters were shot. If not I also wonder if the Gov has the authority to decide who gets prosecuted and who does not.

He would have the power to pardon, but Barbour's attitude is radically different than liberal Nagins attitude, and Katrina proved it's location. Urban dwellers, especially in a liberal city are more tolerant to surrendering their guns. It's a discusting thought to rural conservatives.

I wish the GOP Presidential nominee had Barbours attitude about gun rights.

Guns what guns.......oh is this a gun website.Well I sold all my guns a few years back but your more than welcome to come and look.

Depends on how much thier payin.They aint getting them for free.But I will take $2500 for this .380 Lorcin,and $2500 for this old .22 Marlin. If they want them for free they can pound sand.

Seriously, I think that if the government tried rounding up guns here there would be scenes of BREAKING NEWS on Fox and CNN due to the responses that would inevitably take place by some citizens in this state.

Guest gcrookston
warped minds thing alike.

Count me in the roundup category. I'm starting with Gcrookston's house.

You can have both of them, though I don't see how my Hopkins&Allen .22 short single shot gallery pistol and the Petrozzini .25 out of the hands of this law-abiding citizen will make the world a safer place. BTW, I sold the others to TNGUNS for like $12.00 and a case kosher canned salmon.

Edited by gcrookston
You can have both of them, though I don't see how my Hopkins&Allen .22 short single shot gallery pistol and the Petrozzini .25 out of the hands of this law-abiding citizen will make the world a safer place. BTW, I sold the others to TNGUNS for like $12.00 and a case kosher canned salmon.

Do you mean a Hopkins&Allen Assasins Pistol and a Petrozzini Assault Weapon? That Petrozzini fires the same caliber as a 25-06 high-powered sniper rifle.

We can't have people owning those!:D

<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P></O:P>

In another victory for Tennessee’s law-abiding gun owners, Governor Phil Bredesen (D) signed Senate Bill 1597, introduced by State Senator Mark Norris (R-32), into law on Thursday, May 10.<O:P></O:P>

SB 1597 would protect our Second Amendment rights during a state of emergency by prohibiting any government agency from regulating the lawful sale, possession, transfer, transport and carry of firearms, such as occurred following Hurricane Katrina. <O:P></O:P>

Guest gcrookston
Do you mean a Hopkins&Allen Assasins Pistol and a Petrozzini Assault Weapon? That Petrozzini fires the same caliber as a 25-06 high-powered sniper rifle.

We can't have people owning those!:popcorn:

Yes, those are the ones. the H&A with the broken hammer and the Petro with with the slide frozen shut from all the rust. I found them under the barn on my property. I didn't realize how dangerous they were until you came to get them.

Yes, those are the ones. the H&A with the broken hammer and the Petro with with the slide frozen shut from all the rust. I found them under the barn on my property. I didn't realize how dangerous they were until you came to get them.

But they can be converted to full auto. We need you to come with us and answer a few questions, sir.

• 2 weeks later...
It's only 30 seconds long, but well worth watching:

Why was it worth watching? What did we learn besides some tin foil hat has pretty good video editing skills?

Most pro gun people have absolutely no concerns about going to war with an out of control government…. It can’t happen and is not a realistic threat.

Having a thug jerk you out of your car at a traffic light and put a bullet in your head is a very real threat.

I don’t want the public to think that because I want to protect myself and my family from very real threats I am part of the group of tin foils hats that make those kinds of videos and make outlandish predictions about going to war with our own government.

Why was it worth watching? What did we learn besides some tin foil hat has pretty good video editing skills?

Most pro gun people have absolutely no concerns about going to war with an out of control government…. It can’t happen and is not a realistic threat.

Having a thug jerk you out of your car at a traffic light and put a bullet in your head is a very real threat.

I don’t want the public to think that because I want to protect myself and my family from very real threats I am part of the group of tin foils hats that make those kinds of videos and make outlandish predictions about going to war with our own government.

Ditto.

Guest canynracer

Ditto.

......... stupid.gif