Dual Survival - Season Two

Heard this show was coming back on Discovery Chanel, so I put it in the DVR. It's entertaining if nothing else. This season starts out with the Military guy "simulating" a backcountry wound and cauterizing it by lighting black powder in the gash. He tough, I'll give him that, maybe not too smart, but tough.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, I watched the show, and just thought that there had to be a better way, oh well, I'm sure it was all done for the ratings. Not like those two are alone out there doing the show, they have a whole camera crew and prolly a few extras around as well.

"look we made it to the coast, but just because we're here doesn't mean there will be a boat anytime soon."

"look there's a boat!"

I like the fact that they are totally opposite on some survival things, that's the only saving grace to that show, you get two view points instead of one.

It states it right at the beginning of the show that they are put in scenarios to simulate actual survival situations but have assistance if something goes wrong. At least they don't take the crazy chances like Bear Grylls, well not usually. Its entertaining if nothing else.

Guest Bluemax
Let me know when the army guy kills, dresses and eats the hippie. That might be worth watching.

Too Funny!!! or the Hippie gets the Army guy stoned and I shudder to think of that conclusion. God Forbid it happens may have to be showm on late night Cinemax :D:censored:

Guest Republican

The show is the best of its kind at the moment. I, like the others, like the 2 point of views to the situations they face.

I haven't seen many episodes this year but I liked what I saw of it last year. I was originally interested in watching because I had seen several videos posted on YouTube (back before the show was even in the works, if my guess is right) where Dave Canterbury (the Army guy) gave basic tips on survival, making survival tools and so on.

I still think the best 'survival' show ever was Survivorman. He was out there alone, wasn't an ex-Special Forces 'operator' nor did he have the strength and stamina of ten normal men. He also didn't take stupid chances just for the sake of being 'flashy'. I'd never be able to survive if I had to do it Bear Grylls style. With a little more survival knowledge, however, I might be able to manage Les Stroud style. I also like that, in one or two episodes, Stroud packed a rifle and basically said that there are some places where your chances of survival simply aren't very good unless you have a gun.

Guest HvyMtl

+1 JAB Survivorman was the best - and he finally had to quit doing the shows, due to health reasons. He never had a film crew with him, and did all on his own (supposedly.)

As for the "lets cut ourselves open to simulate a bad situation," well, that was stupid at best. See how he shuddered and shook? That is a prime indication of shock. Shock can kill. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. (Did I say dumb? Well, I sure mean it.)

Ironically, in this episode, the Hippie out shines the Army Guy. The shelter he built was impressive. He found food, and he kept the wound clean and dressed.

Army Guy found a dead beaver and smeared grease from it on his gun (which he had no ammo for) right after commenting he would not touch dead meat like this, because, he did not know what killed the beaver... So. You think it died of something that could harm you, but you gut it anyway, and use its gut grease to put a protective coat on your gun? Really?

And that is about all the Army Guy did, his dead fall trap was nice, but did not work. He did not find anything to hunt, trap, or eat...

It seems he was the excess baggage in this episode, though I think that might have been done, due to some of last season's criticism the Hippie was not needed.

Edited by HvyMtl

I also like the 2 perspectives. There's a lot to be gotten from the no chances, waste no energy aboriginal approach of Cody Lundin and the aggressive military survival approach of Dave Canterbury. Lundin has been teaching minimalist survival for a long time and has been a recognized part of the bushcraft community out west as far back as I can remember. I still don't quite accept the whole no shoes thing in spite of the idea that you may not have any in a survival situation and you need to prepare yourself for that. The guys at a shop in Knoxville are proponents of the Canterbury approach and supposedly becoming affiliated with his school somehow.