Thinking about a Versipack

Just for the sake of clarification, the universal holster DOES cover the trigger guard. Erik's concern was more about its retention, as it's essentially nothing more than a wide strip of velcro wrapped horizontally around a vertical strip of velcro.

exactly!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker
...You highlighted a good point about the universal holster... it doesn't cover the trigger guard. There wouldn't be anything else in the pocket with it that might hit the trigger (and my gun has a thumb safety), but it depends on how thick that material is. If it's somewhat soft, I wouldn't have a warm fuzzy about putting an uncovered gun in there.

Scratching head. The ccw holster absolutely covers the trigger guard and trigger. You can also adjust the tension with which it does so. Plus the Velcro is so stiff that it is perhaps protects the trigger as good as thin kydex. I feel very safe with it. You're correct, Peej, you'd feel much more confident in these products if you could get your hands on them.

I have the Jumbo and it carries a water bottle, my pistol, plenty of spare ammo, and whatever I would need for a day out and about. If I need more stuff than that, I go with a regular backpack. Coming from a guy with an 8 week old, I can safely say that a Jumbo Versapack is not large enough to serve as a diaper bag unless you plan on really downsizing what you carry. I think you could probably stash a couple of spare diapers, a small pack of wipes, and some basic baby essentials, but that's about it. Good enough for a quick trip out and about, but not for a long day.

Regarding diapers... that's exactly my intent, essentials only. I have another backpack that holds all the baby stuff. We learned with the first one that while do you need to have all that stuff handy, lugging it in and out of the car at every stop really isn't necessary. If you have a big mess to deal with, the car isn't that far away. I'd also thought of splitting the load... I'll carry the murse and she can carry the sling bag. Should be plenty of capacity between them.

Really I'm just trying hard to justify buying one as an alternative carry method, but that requires utility beyond simply a holster. As I said before, the backpack + IWB at 4:00 just doesn't work. I guess I could switch to appendix or pocket carry... but then I'd have to buy another gun and holster. hmmmm....

edit... I looked at the pics of the holster again and I agree, it does cover the trigger. As Erik said, I guess retention is my concern. Maybe a nylon or kydex pocket holster in there would make me feel better about it. I'm sure I could figure out some way to stabilize it.

I'm far too anal to deal with the "try and return" method of deciding which one is best. I'm glad others can do that for me. ;)

Edited by peejman
Regarding diapers... that's exactly my intent, essentials only. I have another backpack that holds all the baby stuff. We learned with the first one that while do you need to have all that stuff handy, lugging it in and out of the car at every stop really isn't necessary. If you have a big mess to deal with, the car isn't that far away. I'd also thought of splitting the load... I'll carry the murse and she can carry the sling bag. Should be plenty of capacity between them.

Really I'm just trying hard to justify buying one as an alternative carry method, but that requires utility beyond simply a holster. As I said before, the backpack + IWB at 4:00 just doesn't work. I guess I could switch to appendix or pocket carry... but then I'd have to buy another gun and holster. hmmmm....

Then the Jumbo should be good to go. It will hold a surprising amount of stuff, but is not so massive to look like a briefcase. I just made my own leather holster for the bag, but that's easy for me to do. ;)

Then the Jumbo should be good to go. It will hold a surprising amount of stuff, but is not so massive to look like a briefcase. I just made my own leather holster for the bag, but that's easy for me to do. ;)

did you sew it into place or use velcro? I just want something that will protect the trigger but stay in place when I draw the gun.

Guest Bronker
did you sew it into place or use velcro? I just want something that will protect the trigger but stay in place when I draw the gun.

Your Maxped ccw Velcro holster won't stay in place?

You're a goofy lil monkey aren't you?! ;)

So I'm definitely confused. I would have called the tan one in the photo a dual zipper (I hate that too). The Operator Tactical Attache is what I have. Represented in the photo by the black one. But mine is khaki...wait...who's on 1st?;)

LOL my mistake...I looked at the pics and then couldnt see them while I was typing and mixed them up. It IS the tan one that I dont like the zippers on. The black one I like!

Guest Bronker
LOL my mistake...I looked at the pics and then couldnt see them while I was typing and mixed them up. It IS the tan one that I dont like the zippers on. The black one I like!

Roger!

You'll love the Operator Tactical Attache. Mine sits at my feet now. I also ordered a Malaga last night to replace the Colossus I just sold.

I'm quite the Maxped fanboy. Pathetic, actually.

Oh, the lunch offer stands. Any Tuesday. Long Hollow Pike all day. ;)

Then the Jumbo should be good to go. It will hold a surprising amount of stuff, but is not so massive to look like a briefcase. I just made my own leather holster for the bag, but that's easy for me to do. :D

Maybe we've just hit upon another product for you.... ;)

My first thought was using the adhesive backed velcro or just sew some velcro onto a cheap nylon holster.

I get the vibe from the pics and description that the KISS is made of thinner material and might be considered "floppy". But then the regular Jumbo is double the cost.... I sure wish there was somewhere that stocked these so I could get all touchy feely with one.

Too bad you're so far away, Outpost Armory near Murfreesboro has a surprisingly large number of Maxped items in stock. Before I bought the el cheapo UTG bag, I looked at the EDC and KISS and compared them to the others...HUGE difference in quality and extras. The fabric is thin and plastic-like.

I couldn't find the Maxped holster in stock at the time, so I got this instead. I think the 5.11 is better made and it was less than $8. Here's a couple of pics:

69b51e4c.jpg

465fdc6e.jpg

Edited by BigK
Too bad you're so far away, Outpost Armory near Murfreesboro has a surprisingly large number of Maxped items in stock. Before I bought the el cheapo UTG bag, I looked at the EDC and KISS and compared them to the others...HUGE difference in quality and extras. The fabric is thin and plastic-like.

I couldn't find the Maxped holster in stock at the time, so I got this instead. I think the 5.11 is better made and it was less than $8.

That's exactly what I had in mind. And good to know the UTG bag has the big velcro pad on the inside too. I think we may have a winner. Best part is the UTG bag is below my discretionary spending limit... so I don't have to get the boss's permission first.

One more question about the UTG bag... Is there room in the carry pocket for a spare mag pouch in addition to the gun itself (typical 3.5" compact auto)? Wondering if I should get a mag pouch with it.

One more question about the UTG bag... Is there room in the carry pocket for a spare mag pouch in addition to the gun itself (typical 3.5" compact auto)? Wondering if I should get a mag pouch with it.

I REALLY wish I had bought the mag pouch at the same time. Now I'm too cheap to pay for shipping on a single item. There's more than enough room for one, maybe even a double (like this one).

In fact, I can put my Glock 34 in there and still have room for 3 mags beside it, but they are loose, not in pouches. It's a little tighter fit top to bottom with that big ol long G34, but it still zips. Hope that helps.

47a48fff.jpg

Edited by BigK
added pic
I REALLY wish I had bought the mag pouch at the same time. Now I'm too cheap to pay for shipping on a single item. There's more than enough room for one, maybe even a double (like this one).

In fact, I can put my Glock 34 in there and still have room for 3 mags beside it, but they are loose, not in pouches. It's a little tighter fit top to bottom with that big ol long G34, but it still zips. Hope that helps.

Cool. Since the double mag pouch was cheap, I decided to go ahead and order it. If space is a little tight, I can cut it in half and make two single mag pouches. ;)

I ordered it from Optics Planet. I got a mildly annoying "verify your credit card" email that required 2 phone calls to complete. Then I got a more than mildly annoying "your stuff just went out of stock" email. So what, the person right before me got the last one? 7-10 days before it ships. :lol:

Amazon itself doesn't have the "dark earth" color, it's sold through Optics Planet with a listed delivery of 3-5 weeks. So I figured I'd eliminate the middle man and order direct from Optics Planet who claimed to have it in stock with 5 day delivery. I'd hoped to have it for this weekend.... oh well. The best things come to those who wait, and patience is a virtue and all that.... :lol: I guess I can live without my man bag for a little while longer.

I'm now looking for some nifty para-cord zipper pulls.

Guest Bronker
...Then I got a more than mildly annoying "your stuff just went out of stock" email. So what, the person right before me got the last one? 7-10 days before it ships.:P

I've had that happen to me with Optics Planet four times!!!! Go all the way through the order process, and then it says 'On backorder". I've canceled every time. The secret is to go on the site when the 'Live Chat' is online, and ask if your desired product is available. Only takes a couple minutes and they give you real-time info. I only EVER order Maxped stuff from OP, MidwayUSA or LAPolice Gear. Rarely, Amazon.

I'm now looking for some nifty para-cord zipper pulls.

...dude, roll your own! Check YouTube.

...dude, roll your own! Check YouTube.

this made me LOL. I had a "cheech and chong" image flash through my head.

But you really should just make your own zipper pulls, mine were all ready done but I understand they are very easy to make.

Guest Bronker
...mine were all ready done but I understand they are very easy to make.

My guess is that he means something more sophisticated. Like these:

paracord-zipper-pull-key-chain-fob-lanyard-550-cord_120639073683.jpg